Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by clearspira »

Beastro wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:46 am
clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 pm I’m also very curious how they’re going to pull off a whole galactic Federation going “isolationist” that contains hundreds, if not thousands of members of different species. A membership that was no doubt sold to them on the basis of openness, tolerance and many other xenophile measures.
The only isolationism I can see the Federation is cultural disenchantment with the triumphalist zeitgeist of the TOS to TNG era ending where the Federation was perfect and could do no wrong in their own eyes.

First Wolf 359, then the Dominion War threw those out and the Federation is kinda world weary but also not eager to be telling people others what to do. Effectively making the trouble with the Cardassian Neutral Zone and the Maquis the default position they've held since the end of the war (giving ground and avoiding conflict out of self-doubt and fear of another war).
Can I just point out here that this isn't my quote, it belongs to Enterprising on page 6? Not sure why anyone put my name on it tbh.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Ignoring speed of light delays affecting how quickly a supernova would affect systems light-years apart (Trek often ignores lightspeed delays, so that might be a gimme), I can see how the destruction of one or two Romulan worlds could lead to infighting and/or economic collapse which would then lead to refugees. The refugees the Europe and the U.S. are dealing with didn't even require a capital being hit by a meteor.

Star Trek Continues ( https://www.startrekcontinues.com/ ) dealt with refugees in its episode "What Ships are For." Something I liked about the episode was a character against accepting the refugees pointed out that the people created the problem they were fleeing, to which Kirk agreed, but asked that they be given a chance.

Starfleet has sat back and watched civilizations, even entire biospheres, die and IMO felt very noble about doing so. Letting warp-capable civilizations suffer a similar fate doesn't seem that far a stretch to me, even if the motivations would be different.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Well, STP said it's gonna be dealing with refugees.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Yukaphile wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:55 pm I will say it again. The WORST thing STP could do is tie it into a crossover with DISCO,
Idunno could be cool.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

For me, it means you can't escape the unwanted prequel elements. And prequels already are at an uphill climb. Attaching it to the hip to something that could ultimately prove far more enjoyable is a BAD idea. Now, I didn't mind all the references in TNG, DS9, and even Voyager, because they were part of the same timeline, from 2363 to 2378, so it's inevitable. But I take great issue in how they handled it on Enterprise, retconning it so that Enterprise ABSOLUTELY happened in this world, and... you can't escape it. Can't pretend it's a bad dream or alternate reality. Likewise, for fans who hate DISCO, it's not a good idea to do this, especially if it's in the style of their hamfisted approach. That's also not inclusive either. I'm sure those in charge, however, would sneer, "Fuck the right! You either love this or you're a right-winger!"
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:26 am
Beastro wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:46 am
clearspira wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:44 pm I’m also very curious how they’re going to pull off a whole galactic Federation going “isolationist” that contains hundreds, if not thousands of members of different species. A membership that was no doubt sold to them on the basis of openness, tolerance and many other xenophile measures.
The only isolationism I can see the Federation is cultural disenchantment with the triumphalist zeitgeist of the TOS to TNG era ending where the Federation was perfect and could do no wrong in their own eyes.

First Wolf 359, then the Dominion War threw those out and the Federation is kinda world weary but also not eager to be telling people others what to do. Effectively making the trouble with the Cardassian Neutral Zone and the Maquis the default position they've held since the end of the war (giving ground and avoiding conflict out of self-doubt and fear of another war).
Can I just point out here that this isn't my quote, it belongs to Enterprising on page 6? Not sure why anyone put my name on it tbh.
Prolly my bad. I couldn't find it to direct quote and tried to work it out of another's reply and prolly messed it up.

Sry.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

What time today does it land? I live in US Central Time, Minnesota. It's 9:14 AM right now.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Al-1701 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:20 pm So, I don't get the idea of attacking this concept. It will all come down to execution obviously. However, it seems like these people want the world of Star Trek to be static. And I personally find that unrealistic. A lot has happened in the universe of Star Trek since the end of TNG, and the world will be different.
I don't want it to be static, I just want it to be aspirational.

I'm provisionally okay with a "Federation has lost its way" story, only if the purpose of said story is to get it back. Otherwise, there's no point. If I want to watch "just give up, everything's worthless" entertainment, I already have a lot to choose from. I don't know why everyone's so eager to drag down Star Trek into the muck.

Star Trek has, through all of its TV incarnations before this decade, been about "we're better together". Oh well.
Yukaphile wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:15 pm What time today does it land? I live in US Central Time, Minnesota. It's 9:14 AM right now.
It's already up, and I've finished watching it.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

... what is it like?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I finally got fed up and read a review online. My thoughts?

Picard is still grieving Data, which I find perhaps a bit odd to the past preaching Picard gave, but then he was also a dear friend, so I don't have a problem with this.

The Federation refused to help the Romulans... why? Given how they had been allies in the Dominion War only years prior? Seems like more of the Trek hamfisted approach. "The US is not helping refugees!" How blatant is this? It really does, sadly, seem to be trapped in the times we live in. The Federation of the 1990s TNG was presented as paradise, and hell, even in DS9, and now they wanna shatter paradise to show it was a lie. Like how 1990s culture died on 9/11.

You know, I just can't get over that the Federation wouldn't help the Romulans. What justification was there for it? Past "let's allegorize the US!" In that context, though, Picard resigning from Starfleet would be logical for his path, tbh. Kinda like when Superman renounced his US citizenship. Or how he acted in Insurrection.

They wanna make this like the modern world? Okay. But then... again, why didn't the Feds help the Romulans? Third time, I'll beat this into the ground.