JK Rowling Backlash

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
LittleRaven
Captain

Re: JK Rowling Backlash

Post by LittleRaven »

CmdrKing wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:40 pmIncreasingly endocrinologists and supplemental gender specialty clinics are moving to an informed consent model, wherein essentially you say "I have The Gender", they give you some waivers and explain how hormones work (and in particular the bit where you'll probably become infertile), and you go on your way. So if I say I'm in favor of self-ID for government purposes, I'm basically saying that getting up to date legal documents should work on the same model.
I'm glad you clarified that, because it sounds like you're at least open to the idea of SOME gatekeeping. Rational people can disagree about exactly HOW much gatekeeping is reasonable/required, but I'm pretty sure we're going to have to have SOME. I doubt it's ever going to be as easy as walking into the DMV and saying "I'm X today."
Essentially, I don't think the sort of 'compromises' that resulted from second wave feminism or the marriage equality movements will be effective for trans rights. Achieving something meaningful for the majority requires some very substantial reexamination of how we look at society regardless, so approaching problems in a holistic way is not just best practice but necessary.
I don't disagree, but I I also think this is the basic problem.

The most effective argument that the gay marriage camp had was "This doesn't hurt ANYONE. Giving us the ability to get married does not affect you AT ALL." I'm not sure the same can be said here, and that's going to make this much, MUCH harder.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Well, better to say I’m broadly opposed to gatekeeping but if the government wants to have a paper trail and some “hey if I change this I’m not going to change it back tomorrow” waivers then certainly that’s a realistic compromise.
(Obviously you do need procedures for that ~1% regret rate and all but that can be as simple as “wait 3 months” or something on paper)

But yeah, binary gender as a concept has been used as an excuse to shove a lot of societal baggage under the rug, and trans people openly existing is going to expose a lot of it no matter what. So pressing for changes that help the maximum number of trans people *and* make people address those buried issues is mutually beneficial, because we can’t really do one without the other anymore.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CmdrKing wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:40 pm The tl;dr on the old "trans people have to be sterilized" is the folks who wrote those laws were kiiiinda eugenicists.

It's worth noting that hormone therapy also has that effect in practice, large quantities of estrogen will suppress testosterone production and vice versa, which will shut down sperm production/menstruation. Going off hormones for a few months can sometimes reverse that... and sometimes not, or at least not enough for reproductive function.
All of that assumes that you went through your assigned puberty of course, so far as anyone can tell if you do hormone replacement as your first puberty it prevents the reproductive organs from hitting full functionality. Which is yet another reason the first line of medical intervention for trans kids of puberty blockers, not hormone therapy: they're making a much more permanent decision at a much younger age than adults and consequently need to be a lot more certain about the matter.

This actually gets into the larger question of why self-ID is so important though. The laws on the books now are either outdated or don't exist, depending on where you are, so trans folk are collectively butting heads against a lot of barriers and the common thread between all of them is the people behind them a) don't know anything b) don't care and c) as often as not don't want you to exist.
In general, if it's possible to prevent someone from getting the right documentation/medical treatment they need, it will be prevented for a good long while and there's no recourse except spending the money to cast a wider net and find someone who gives a fuck.

But let's get into some specifics. Just to pull an example I know off the cuff, here's a relevant bit from the Michigan government website:

"Michigan statute says that Vital Records will issue a new birth certificate upon receipt of "a request that a new certificate be established to show a sex designation other than that designated at birth. The request shall be accompanied by an affidavit of a physician certifying that sex-reassignment surgery has been performed." Michigan Public Health Code §§ 333.2831.

To apply for an amended birth certificate the applicant should submit:

The application form signed by the applicant
A medical affidavit signed by a Physician, stating that the applicant has had "appropriate surgical procedures completed for gender transition to the new gender"
A copy of their photo ID
A copy of the court order for name change, if applicable
Any applicable fees"

Aside from preemptively excluding the portion of trans people who a) don't seek medical intervention for dysphoria, b) aren't a binary gender, and c) want hormones or other procedures but not genital surgery, even for a more-or-less binary trans person who gets genital dysphoria... well that's onerous isn't it? The steps to get to the court issuing you a new birth certificate, which will let you get proper ID anywhere, would be

1) Get a PCP referral to a qualified psychiatrist
2) Get psych diagnoses of Gender Dysphoria
3) Psych referral to endocrinologist
4) Endocrinologist prescription of hormone replacement, with associated revisits for monitoring and adjustments.
5) Followup once hormone levels are stable with psychiatrist for assessment of surgical intervention
6) Psych referral to surgeons for genital reconstruction
7) The Surgery *scare chord*
8) Secure medical affidavit
9) Get proper birth certificate from vital records
10) get proper photo id from state government

The shortest speedrun of that path of transition I've ever seen is just under a year, and closer to 3-4 is far more likely. Assuming you have the ~$100,000 to do it*. During which time you're basically using a bunch of id cards and soforth that will have an increasingly mismatched name and picture on.

Obviously some states have less dire laws (and some have more!), but Michigan is a useful average of the US in several ways (social norms, population, demographics) and also I knew roughly what they were even before looking it up so.

So how would we actually make a compromise version of that exactly? Like, no step of that process is even up to date, let alone useful. Increasingly endocrinologists and supplemental gender specialty clinics are moving to an informed consent model, wherein essentially you say "I have The Gender", they give you some waivers and explain how hormones work (and in particular the bit where you'll probably become infertile), and you go on your way. So if I say I'm in favor of self-ID for government purposes, I'm basically saying that getting up to date legal documents should work on the same model. And if we were keeping some sort of medical documentation saying "yes this person has The Gender, give them new ID" as the main qualifier, well... you only added one new step that's about as easily circumvented by a bad actor. I mean, I guess we could do that as an intermediary step to get people educated on how gender works? But even then it's a bad plan that excludes non-binary people (because another thing we should be doing, and a few states have done, is include non-binary markers for state ID). And any steps beyond that are increasingly prohibitive.

Do we separate the medical transition from the ID entirely, but keep in the requirement for a Dysphoria diagnosis? It's probably the least exclusionary option (still is, but substantially less, sure), but it has a fuckton of logistical issues. Gender Dysphoria was only added to the DSMV, which was published in 2013, so the majority of practicing psychiatrists aren't going to be familiar with it or able/willing to diagnose it properly. The other issue here is it makes legal protections difficult to create or apply, because a small handful of people can decide to simply deny you classification and thus deny your ability to seek redress even in the eventuality laws were created were trans people could seek redress from bigotry.

When I say self-ID the only ethical practice, what I'm getting at is any other standard either a) makes getting new documents inaccessible to many, indeed probably most trans people or b) provides an easy and clearly defined avenue to exercise bigotry against trans people. And more often both.

Essentially, I don't think the sort of 'compromises' that resulted from second wave feminism or the marriage equality movements will be effective for trans rights. Achieving something meaningful for the majority requires some very substantial reexamination of how we look at society regardless, so approaching problems in a holistic way is not just best practice but necessary.

*Non-US countries don't have this particular problem. But also last I knew the NHS waiting lists for gender care clinics was "get back to us after the Johnson administration" and had been 3 years before that, and that's to even START. So.
You're entailed to your opinion of course, but I bloody hate the idea that anyone can just claim to be whatever they like without first being tested if they are telling the truth or not. The day is coming when perverts will start wearing dresses just so they can walk into women's changing rooms. I suspect you probably don't think so, but we'll see. And part of me thinks that we'll never hear about it until something nasty happens multiple times - maybe not in the US, but here in the UK our police allowed hundreds of girls to be abused by gangs of Muslim men because they were scared of being labelled racist. The fear of being labelled a transphobe is so great that they will think twice about confronting a man who calls himself a she no matter what he has done.

It comes down to something very simple: ''this is why we cannot have anything nice''. Because in an IDEAL WORLD, sure, you can be anything you like with full support of everyone. But the real world is not that simple. The real world has great numbers of people that will weaponise things made to help others and they we do so shamelessly and excessively.

Regarding the NHS, I would point out two things: 1) The waiting times are extreme for whatever it is that you are going there for. I know I guy who has been waiting for an MRI since December. 2) The NHS is now so underfunded that anything not considered to be ''essential'' treatment is taking a backseat. I'm not saying that dysphoria is not essential treatment, i'm saying what is and what is not essential treatment varies by whoever the health secretary happens to be today. If he or she thinks that it isn't, then you are not getting it. PS, I love the NHS - but I can also see why people love the US system. It is a complicated issue that probably has an ideal somewhere in between.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

The Harry Potter books are way more fucked up when you return to them as an adult anyway. Animorphs is far superior, and despite being trapped in 1990s culture, holds up way better in terms of timeless human and political themes.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
LittleRaven
Captain

Post by LittleRaven »

CmdrKing wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:24 amBut yeah, binary gender as a concept has been used as an excuse to shove a lot of societal baggage under the rug, and trans people openly existing is going to expose a lot of it no matter what. So pressing for changes that help the maximum number of trans people *and* make people address those buried issues is mutually beneficial, because we can’t really do one without the other anymore.
I'd love for you to expand on this when you have a moment, because I suspect this is where things get really interesting. What buried issues do you think trans people will benefit from forcing into the light?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:15 pm You're entailed to your opinion of course, but I bloody hate the idea that anyone can just claim to be whatever they like without first being tested if they are telling the truth or not. The day is coming when perverts will start wearing dresses just so they can walk into women's changing rooms.
You think that someone intent on breaking the law and assaulting a woman is being stopped by the fact that it's not legal for them to enter the space with her? And once it is legal, they will proceed to now feel safe to commit a crime?

I mean, look, people are crazy and I won't doubt you could find the person this applies to, but it really feels like a hypothetical concern that is at its root fairly irrational.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Deledrius wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:45 am
clearspira wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:15 pm You're entailed to your opinion of course, but I bloody hate the idea that anyone can just claim to be whatever they like without first being tested if they are telling the truth or not. The day is coming when perverts will start wearing dresses just so they can walk into women's changing rooms.
You think that someone intent on breaking the law and assaulting a woman is being stopped by the fact that it's not legal for them to enter the space with her? And once it is legal, they will proceed to now feel safe to commit a crime?

I mean, look, people are crazy and I won't doubt you could find the person this applies to, but it really feels like a hypothetical concern that is at its root fairly irrational.
Did it stop anyone just because it was illegal? No.

But if you cannot admit that having a LEGAL way to walk into a woman's bathroom is not an enabler that makes it 100% easier for them to get away with it then we do not have much more to say.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Anybody that hangs out in a bathroom is pretty suspect already.

I'm not comfortable hanging around outside a bathroom.
..What mirror universe?
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

clearspira wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:23 am But if you cannot admit that having a LEGAL way to walk into a woman's bathroom is not an enabler that makes it 100% easier for them to get away with it then we do not have much more to say.
Of course it makes it easier. I'm just not convinced that an unlocked door is an adequate barrier against this hypothetical pervert rapist, when considered against the inconvenience it puts on people who are trans/intersex/whatever and just want to use a changing room or bathroom without being harassed (or worse) themselves.
Xaphan
Redshirt

Post by Xaphan »

AlucardNoir wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:55 pm words have meaning
Despite being trans, I'm not hugely interested in commenting on the 'trans' debate. This, however, I will create an account for.

Words do not, in fact, have meaning. Words are something that is sometimes used in the attempted conveyance of meaning. Along with tone, body language, context, speaker... All of which interplay in ways not governed by any universally consistent set of rules. The words 'I agree' can be understood to mean the same as the words 'I disagre', the opposite, or something totally unrelated ('I am being held hostage against my will and am alerting you to this fact via word choice'). As such, the only things a word can really be said to mean are whatever the person saying it means by it, and whatever the people reading/hearing it take it to mean. If those two things are the same, the person has communicated successfully. Regardless of whether you think they used the word 'correctly'.

The trans debate far too often comes down to people with competing standards of usage screaming that their definition is universally correct, despite understanding the other usages and thus not actually being hindered by the difference. Or, worse, unclarified statements that convey very different meanings depending on how you understand the words involved, apparently deliberately.

Also, 'tabulas rasa'. 'Tabula' means slate, adding an s to just 'rasa' to pluralise it is weird. Yes, I am being kind of a hypocrite in pointing that out.

(Side note, you read way too much into the 'permanent memory' thing - children start to learn language before two months, so they clearly are able to learn from observation of the world before that age.)