Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by Yukaphile »

And as to the murder? Why? If it's just random street people, then I'll be angry. But if it was, say, some outside force from another world? Like the Bajoran terrorists to Sisko? Then I'll accept it. The article I read painted it as everyday street crime on Earth. Hence, my railing against it. You wanna convince me, since I'm already cautiously hopeful in spite of myself? Use persuasion. Don't just write me off.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I also wanna add this. Based on just what I hear, I would rate this episode a 6 to 7 on Chuck's scale. So that should tell you something, at least until I learn more. SMH
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Nice little interview:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/H43Y9qVxMJY[/youtube]
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

@Makeshift Python I do wanna add one more thing. It probably came across that I was angry. Okay, I'll give you that. But I think jaded fans have every reason given the disappointment after disappointment we've had to contend with for years and that sci-fi seems to be on a downward spiral, in no small part thanks to corporate greed. But as I'd said, this has me cautiously optimistic. But the ever-present fear they will do something stupid and ruin it is right alongside that. As probably it is with clearspira. When you've been burned that severely, it's hard to get interest again. I almost don't want to like this, but as I'd said, I would rate the first episode 6 or 7 merely from what I hear. That should tell you something. I don't mind them making this into allegory for how the US treats refugees. But assuming they can actually build a great series, and despite my pessimism, it seems like they really could, I still will not watch until it is completed. That's just how I roll. It's different for you since you are already a fan of DISCO. They need to do more to win fans like me back.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Yukaphile wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:50 pm The article I read
Yukaphile wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:52 pm Based on just what I hear
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

As I'd said, I won't check it out, even if it's a GREAT series, till it's done. I want spoilers, I wanna know where it goes. That's how I watch everything.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Honestly it would be much more interesting to discuss this with you if you actually just give 45 mins of your time instead of reading off someone else's impression.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I mean, others are going more extreme than me, like clearspira insisting Trek is dead, though I don't feel that way. As I'd already indicated. Seems to me more like they may have finally listened to fan criticism and are shaping up their act. And clearspira, if this is an allegory for how the US is not helping refugees... why does it matter? Loads of other nations would do that too. Just give it another 100 years. Especially since from all accounts, they DID explain it. As the terrorist attacks made it hard. What else is there?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

TGLS wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:34 am Image
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

CORRECTION. Not complaining. Any point I'd brought up was answered. And I dunno, given the general darkness of DS9, I don't mind making the Feds go this way. I know clearspira wants something more like The Culture, but honestly, given how much 1990s America and Trek in general seems like paradise lost, this was inevitable.