Renegade Cut on "Berman Trek"

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Imperator-zor
Redshirt

Re: Renegade Cut on "Berman Trek"

Post by Imperator-zor »

AlucardNoir wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:37 pm Left leaning is one way to describe him, insane is another.
This statement possesses no useful information beyond your dislike for Renegade Cut.

Zor
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Berman definitely stagnated Trek to the point Trek now is unrecognizable to the original 'run'.

Voyager was probably the biggest offender of stagnating and Enterprise was at that point just beating a dead horse though they did try with season 3 and 4.

Berman definitely steered the franchise from the Super stuffy Gene ideas that early TNG had. But once he he did that he stayed put.
I got nothing to say here.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

TulipQulqu wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:01 pm This sounds like a thing that would be explored and not just dropped in without reason. The Federation is deeply materialist and humanist, so the idea sounds like they would have found a way to teach children about the nature of death in such a way that the grieving process is relatively painless.

The high concept would probably be "an episode about how this Utopian society handles death" and not "children are emotionally dead inside".
That's a very hard sell though. I think Chuck or someone else once said that early TNG humans can come off more alien than the aliens. Take the utopian future society idea too far and you'll lose people. Especially with how said society acts in episodes like 'Code of Honour'.

The more 'evolved' you make them, the worse it falls apart when viewers take issue with their actions.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Also to give him another shred of credit, he was one of tbe executives who pushed for Patrick Stewart as Picard. The casting was something Gene was really against and had to practically have both arms and legs twisted for it to happen.

I've started re-reading (well, 'listening') to the 2nd Volume of The Fifty Year Mission again. So so fascinating.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

TGLS wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:27 am Try this!

youtu.be/NeSz2gW8IsE
Hey thanks guy.
..What mirror universe? ;/
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Wow, I can't even finish watching it. I've watched this channel before at times, and some of the videos are pretty good. Five minutes into this one and it's already filled with enough falsehoods, spin, and convenient cherry-picking that even if I agree with the overall message it's hitting too many red flags for me to watch it without making me angry at the bias and bad presentation.

I don't see what there is to be gained making a hit piece on Berman at this point in his Trek career (that is, once it's over).
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Deledrius wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:52 pm Wow, I can't even finish watching it. I've watched this channel before at times, and some of the videos are pretty good. Five minutes into this one and it's already filled with enough falsehoods, spin, and convenient cherry-picking that even if I agree with the overall message it's hitting too many red flags for me to watch it without making me angry at the bias and bad presentation.

I don't see what there is to be gained making a hit piece on Berman at this point in his Trek career (that is, once it's over).
If you have time, could you possibly cite 1-2 examples from Thomas' video?

I remember a handful of the points were based on what various cast members said about him, and just one of them I might have been skeptical of the implication, but overall the video seemed pretty concise in its literative construction and the outline didn't seem too cumbersome.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

Imperator-zor wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:20 am
AlucardNoir wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:37 pm Left leaning is one way to describe him, insane is another.
This statement possesses no useful information beyond your dislike for Renegade Cut.

Zor
Oh please. He used to just review movies, then he started reviewing them from the progresive lens. Just look at the crap he's published over the past few years. Everything that has a political message he disagrees with is something that's bad and everything that says something he agrees with is great and should be praised. He's turned into a caricature of himself. I actually watched a few videos of his before this thread was started. YT recommended his Berman video so I decide to see what he's been doing over the past few years since he fell off my radar. He's gone full McIntosh, that's what he's been doing.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

I don't remember him necessarily qualifying movies as good or bad, he just kinda fixates on toxicity quite a bit though as either a rooted theme or a matter of the story's development.

I could be wrong though.