Movies you love that others hate?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
J!!
Captain

Re: Movies you love that others hate?

Post by J!! »

I contend that The Amazing Spiderman is superior to the majority of the disney's MCU films, in nearly every way.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Age of Ultron
..What mirror universe?
Jclark
Redshirt

Post by Jclark »

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Ghostbusters 2016
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Apollo 13
..What mirror universe?
AllanO
Officer

Post by AllanO »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:11 pm Apollo 13
This had me going wait did people hate this, I felt like it had a pretty positive reaction, I thought it was a good movie.

So I checked rotten tomatoes it has a 95% critic score and an 87% audience score. I mean I guess there were some people who hated it and maybe you hang out in a community where all those people are aggregated, but I don't know it does not seem like a movie that was hated or even considered mediocre by most standards...
Yours Truly,
Allan Olley

"It is with philosophy as with religion : men marvel at the absurdity of other people's tenets, while exactly parallel absurdities remain in their own." John Stuart Mill
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I like "Krull".
I maintain my utter bafflement as to why it is not more highly regarded.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

Rocketboy1313 wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:10 am I like "Krull".
I maintain my utter bafflement as to why it is not more highly regarded.
Krull's a great film! I suppose the baddies apparently firing lasers looks a bit off to some people, it's not clear that they're one-shot weapons firing a spike out of the end of the swords that they then turn around and use as swords. And the plot has a couple of issues (don't use the Glaive because, erm, reasons), but they pale into the background of just being good fun.

I think I said earlier I had a holiday in the Dolomites a few years back, recognising one or two locations from Krull.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

I'm seeing a lot of "movies that did poorly at the box office" in this thread. That's not what I would assume is meant by "hated".
Beastro wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 am
J!! wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:46 am Last Action Hero is a hilarious and profoundly underrated parody of 80s-90s action movies.
I think that's the reason why it's so disliked. People just wanted another action film and were puzzled at the criticism and satire in it.
I don't recall the movie being disliked, and I only know of Doug Walker being confused and surprised that it was a parody (and subsequently, his audience introduced to it through him). It was pretty obviously a spoof, and generally enjoyable.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Deledrius wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:28 pm I'm seeing a lot of "movies that did poorly at the box office" in this thread. That's not what I would assume is meant by "hated".
Beastro wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:34 am
J!! wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:46 am Last Action Hero is a hilarious and profoundly underrated parody of 80s-90s action movies.
I think that's the reason why it's so disliked. People just wanted another action film and were puzzled at the criticism and satire in it.
I don't recall the movie being disliked, and I only know of Doug Walker being confused and surprised that it was a parody (and subsequently, his audience introduced to it through him). It was pretty obviously a spoof, and generally enjoyable.
I found Ebert was rather put off by much of the show while Siskel, IIRC, followed his "It's a bad show if it shows children put in danger" rule which he stuck to like glue.