Brexit Day is cometh

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Brexit Day is cometh

Post by clearspira »

Like it or hate it my friends, Brexit is nearly here. 23.00 GMT, Friday. Historians in a 100 years will still be debating this day - we are part of history now regardless of whether it turns out to be gold or dirt. We are seeing it, living it, experiencing it. If that does not make this one of the most important news items in recent memory then I do not know what is. I personally will be raising a glass of red and getting take-out pizza to celebrate our independence. And a long time coming it has been too.

As ever though I am always interested in other points of view and now really is a fantastic time to reflect on Brexit and the EU in general. Any Leavers or Remainers here who have changed their mind? Will Brexit be a success? Will the UK break up? What do you non-Brits think? How will the EU plug the massive gap in its revenue? etc.
J!!
Captain

Re: Brexit Day is cometh

Post by J!! »

good luck y'all, yer gonna need it.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Yankee here.

I think in the long run it'll be good for the UK, but in the short term I don't know what the economic effects will be. I've heard many prognostications of doom, but I'm taking them with a grain of salt. I'm still waiting for the stock market crash, recession, and the death camps for gays and/or muslims due from Trump's election.

As far as Scottish independence goes... I don't know that one, either. I haven't followed it very closely. I don't think so, but that's mostly my feeling that declaring one's independence from the UK in order to then hand the reigns over to Brussels seems a bit odd. I know that the EU would be holding those reigns more loosely at first, though, though, so this is just my long-winded way of shrugging.
Steve
Doctor's Assistant

Post by Steve »

IIRC, Scotland wants to be in the EU where England (outside of Greater London) doesn't. Its main stumbling block outside of the UK government approving another referendum is that there are EU members (Spain predominately) that might resist letting them join the EU as a separatist region since it could embolden the Catalans and Basques (and in turn encourage other regionalist groups in Spain).
"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

Administrator of SFD, Former Spacebattles Super-Mod, Veteran Chatnik. And multiverse crossover-loving writer, of course!
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Steve wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:04 am IIRC, Scotland wants to be in the EU where England (outside of Greater London) doesn't. Its main stumbling block outside of the UK government approving another referendum is that there are EU members (Spain predominately) that might resist letting them join the EU as a separatist region since it could embolden the Catalans and Basques (and in turn encourage other regionalist groups in Spain).
That's never seemed like a very diplomatic rationale to me.
..What mirror universe?
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:11 am
Steve wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:04 am IIRC, Scotland wants to be in the EU where England (outside of Greater London) doesn't. Its main stumbling block outside of the UK government approving another referendum is that there are EU members (Spain predominately) that might resist letting them join the EU as a separatist region since it could embolden the Catalans and Basques (and in turn encourage other regionalist groups in Spain).
That's never seemed like a very diplomatic rationale to me.
Then you don't understand diplomacy.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Question : How much space will Brexit free up in the European Union?

Answer: 1 GB
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

:lol:
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Madner Kami wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:36 pm:lol:
Two hours to go, i've got the Shiraz and the Hawaiian ready :D
Artabax
Officer

Post by Artabax »

I lit some fireworks and sang a happy song. The fireworks were quiet and I was off-key. If Brexit happens we will have loud fireworks and proper singing voices.
Self sealing stem bolts don't just seal themselves, you know.