Brexit Day is cometh

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Brexit Day is cometh

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:13 pm Clearspria what'd you mean by Hawaiian?
Ham and pineapple pizza - or as otherwise known ''the ultimate flavour of pizza''.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

unknownsample wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:19 pm
clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:37 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:19 pm Look I am happy that you brits got this over with but if you expect this to be easy and painless without any problems you are either naive or stupid or possible both. Then again Wilson Churchill did say that best argument against democracy is conversation with average voter.
Short term pain I have always conceded is possible, but you cannot make an omelette without cracking eggs. When did people get so fearful of having to wade through a bit of rough in order to reach the fairway anyway?

And yes, it will be ''a bit'' of rough. The apocalyptic predictions just do not hold water.
Just as long as you're not one of the eggs being broken. I think it's only fair and reasonable that those that want this should be prepared to lose thier jobs. Oh and I'm not crying, I'm harnessing my anger.
OK, i'm game: whose jobs are going to be lost? As Nigel Farage has said many times: Britain is one of the richest countries in the world, it is not in anyone's interest to stop trading with us. Money talks louder than politics.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

clearspira wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:29 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:13 pm Clearspria what'd you mean by Hawaiian?
Ham and pineapple pizza - or as otherwise known ''the ultimate flavour of pizza''.
Alright lol that was my only guess but I thought that and red wine was a random pair.
..What mirror universe?
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Brexit will return in:

Brexit 2: Trade Agreement Boogaloo
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

TGLS wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:39 pm Brexit will return in:

Brexit 2: Trade Agreement Boogaloo
Lol! That is the rub. For all the fun I am having here (and really, my actual views are rather moderate. I was very much in the ''we need a deal or we should remain'' camp and I think Boris is stupid to put a year's deadline on any trade negotiation) actually the hard part starts now.
AlucardNoir
Officer

Post by AlucardNoir »

I'm 31 one years old, literally half a lifetime ago when I was in high school I was taught about the EU and I thought it was undemocratic then. I now am 15 years older and have a background in accounting and law. I now know the EU is not built on democratic principles.

When Brexit won, several British pro-remain progresive journalists wrote articles outright condemning democracy because they did not agree with the outcome of the referendum. Over the past 4 years several high ranking EU officials have made similar undemocratic remarks.

Say what you want about Brexit, but they never lied about the EU being undemocratic. If the EU ever consolidates into an actual state it will be one of the least democratic places on earth.
If Chuck or a mod reads this feel free do delete my account. I would do it myself but I don't seem to be able to find a delete account option. phpBB should have such an option but I guess this isn't stock phpBB.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

^ That's a good chunk of the problem. I really feel if there was any likelihood of the EU reforming - less power in internal affairs of members, more democracy (rules need to originate from the Parliament) Remain would've won a landslide.

I do get a bit annoyed about people going on about jobs and money though in a fashion that suggests that they think anything is acceptable as long as they're not affected. Yes, they've important things to consider but certainly not the only ones. You can't ignore everything else that bothers people with "if it saves one job." A big part of the failure of the entire Remain campaign was the inability to understand that non-measureable, non-tangible things actually matter, but instead it dismissed and insulted those who understood valuing more than just measureables.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Riedquat wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:26 pm ^ That's a good chunk of the problem. I really feel if there was any likelihood of the EU reforming - less power in internal affairs of members, more democracy (rules need to originate from the Parliament) Remain would've won a landslide.

I do get a bit annoyed about people going on about jobs and money though in a fashion that suggests that they think anything is acceptable as long as they're not affected. Yes, they've important things to consider but certainly not the only ones. You can't ignore everything else that bothers people with "if it saves one job." A big part of the failure of the entire Remain campaign was the inability to understand that non-measureable, non-tangible things actually matter, but instead it dismissed and insulted those who understood valuing more than just measureables.
..What mirror universe?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

The way i see it is this: there are currently 4 great powers on the Earth. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, the People's Republic of China, and the European Union. Any country not alligned with one of those four is politically irrelevant.

The United Kingdom has chosen to seperate from the EU on the assumption that they can get a better deal by aligning with the US. However, being unalligned now puts them in an extremely weak bargaining position, so whatever deal they end up with is going to reflect that.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

J!! wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:25 pm The way i see it is this: there are currently 4 great powers on the Earth. The United States of America, the Russian Federation, the People's Republic of China, and the European Union. Any country not alligned with one of those four is politically irrelevant.

The United Kingdom has chosen to seperate from the EU on the assumption that they can get a better deal by aligning with the US. However, being unalligned now puts them in an extremely weak bargaining position, so whatever deal they end up with is going to reflect that.
The EU has considerable economic power, but I don't know I'd say that it has a great deal of diplomatic power, and I really don't think it has a lot of military power. The UK has withdrawn from the EU, but not from NATO, and it still has its permanent seat on the UN Security Council. And the EU's economic power only partly belonged to the UK.

Not that I can say this hasn't resulted in some loss of global influence, but I don't think it's like what would happen if, for example, California seceded from the USA. California has an economy roughly the size of the UK's, and the USA has a GDP roughly the size of the EU's, but California would be left with a far smaller military and not as much influence over the UN.

The EU may some day change into something with more diplomatic power, and maybe even more military power; after all, it has a goal of "an ever-closer union." The UK may be left out of that because of Brexit, but I think that would be very speculative.