Ent: The Breach

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Ent: The Breach

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Star Trek: Enterprise.
I am readying this for tomorrow.
Last edited by Thebestoftherest on Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MerelyAFan
Officer

Re: The Breach

Post by MerelyAFan »

Its up.

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/e147.php

I always wanted Phlox to generally get more of a spotlight, but the show never really managed anything terribly interesting with him. He's not as badly underwritten as Mayweather and Hoshi, but he rarely feels much more than the more tolerable, somewhat more competent Neelix type he started as. Even the ugly history with the Antarans and the struggles with his family never really feels like it informs his character in any real way.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

All threads for Star Trek review videos are to have the first three letters designating which Star Trek franchise the given episode belongs to, eg: ENT, TNG, DIS, ETC
..What mirror universe?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Okay didn't know.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Ent: The Breach

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Looks way better now.

I just finished season 2. Timing is great here.
..What mirror universe?
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

I don't see what the problem is with Phlox feeding that live tribble to something. Some animals need to eat live prey, they won't readily touch non living or sedated creatures. I had a friend who used to keep snakes, for example, and some of them would take dead rats and mice but some just wouldn't. It didn't trigger their prey impulse, so they didn't recognise it as food.

On the spelunking side:
Downside: No Tom "Ibid" Paris.
Upside: No Neelix either.
Last edited by CrypticMirror on Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Is there a more underdeveloped alien race that a main character is part of other than the Denobulans? I definitely appreciate them trying with this episode, but it all comes a bit late and isn't done very well. What do we know of them exactly? They have multiple husbands and wives, they don't mind those husbands and wives sexually harassing others, they have dodgy relations with the species mentioned in this episode. That's kind of it.

And the sad thing is that those traits mentioned above COULD have been interesting. Polygamy is something that Trek has never really done before and most of us in the real world don't have any experience with it.

I suppose the Talaxians and the Ocampa aren't that much better development wise, but I think VOY did put far more effort into Neelix primarily because he was the Creator's Pet. And at least we got to visit the Ocampan homeworld.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:35 pm Looks way better now.

I just finished season 2. Timing is great here.
Honest opinion time: where would you rank ENT so far? Is it as bad as you thought it would be?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CrypticMirror wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:07 pm I don't see what the problem is with Phlox feeding that live tribble to something. Some animals need to eat live prey, they won't readily touch non living or sedated creatures. I had a friend who used to keep snakes, for example, and some of them would take dead rats and mice but some just wouldn't. It didn't trigger their prey impulse, so they didn't recognise it as food.

On the spelunking side:
Downside: No Tom "Ibid" Paris.
Upside: No Neelix either.
I actually agree with you in that a Tribble is clearly a prey animal. They exist to be eaten. Am I about to poke the vegan hornets nest by saying that not all animals are created equal? Probably.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:14 pm I actually agree with you in that a Tribble is clearly a prey animal. They exist to be eaten. Am I about to poke the vegan hornets nest by saying that not all animals are created equal? Probably.
No animals exist to be eaten, otherwise they wouldn't evolve behaviours to try to avoid it. That's different from pointing out that they make up part of the food chain.