Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Enterprising wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:20 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:56 pm When were ships built in space?
Always in space (or in ultra-high orbit at a shipyard/drydock) due to the sheer mass of starships, until 2009 anyway where details like that don't matter if it "looks cool". The TOS Enterprise had a mass of a million gross tons before going on its atkins diet for STD, where despite doubling in size and carrying 50 times more auxiliary craft, sheds over 80% of its mass to just 190k gross tons.
But I'm not asking about trivia, I mean when did we see that or hear explicitly that they're only made in space, specifically around the time of Enterprise 1701 or earlier?
..What mirror universe?
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:46 pm But I'm not asking about trivia, I mean when did we see that or hear explicitly that they're only made in space, specifically around the time of Enterprise 1701 or earlier?
Where is the NX-01 Enterprise in the pilot Broken Bow? Shipyard in orbit. The 14 months from completion NX-02 in episode The Expanse? A shipyard in orbit. The Motion Picture? Drydock in orbit, the D in episode Booby Trap? Being built in orbit of Mars at a shipyard. I could go on and reference all the episodes and movies a shipyard features, the point is every piece of dialogue and visual we’ve seen down the years clearly have starships built in orbit or open space.

This only changed in Trek 09, which is an alternate universe. Since Picard is also within that universe, they can carry on with that and not have to worry with the details, but since the showrunners also trying to sell it as “canon” but also “different” that’s when it does matter. Classic case of a cake and eat it approach.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

On the other hand they've had something called the Utopia Plantia Fleet Yards for years. Having literally no facilities in Utopia Plantia (an area on Mars), would be like having the Des Moines Shipyards have all of its facilities in the Atlantic. It might make more sense to be building ships in the space/ocean, but having no facilities in Utopia Plantia/Iowa would be about as stupid.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Enterprising wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:40 pmThis only changed in Trek 09, which is an alternate universe. Since Picard is also within that universe, they can carry on with that and not have to worry with the details, but since the showrunners also trying to sell it as “canon” but also “different” that’s when it does matter. Classic case of a cake and eat it approach.
As far as I've heard on the subject, it's mainly to fan decree that the prime universe is separate canon from TOS to Nemesis/Enterprise.

Also thank you for providing the concrete details for your thesis.
..What mirror universe?
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

TGLS wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:10 pm On the other hand they've had something called the Utopia Plantia Fleet Yards for years. Having literally no facilities in Utopia Plantia (an area on Mars), would be like having the Des Moines Shipyards have all of its facilities in the Atlantic. It might make more sense to be building ships in the space/ocean, but having no facilities in Utopia Plantia/Iowa would be about as stupid.
I assume that the Utopia Planitia shipyard on the surface is the admin headquarters, fabrication facility for components that are more easily done on the surface, and launching point for taking those components in to orbit (plenty will arrive by space too no doubt). The assembly point in orbit is technically part of the same facility so also Utopia Planitia.

edit: looks like that's the case, according to Memory Alpha anyway.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:56 pm When were ships built in space?

The Romulans have always had an uptight dialect, and every alien in Star Trek has had a terran accent or particularly human trait. I doubt they're even speaking english themselves.
I'm pretty sure they are considering the Romulans that invaded Dahj's apartment clearly said to speak English than Romulan.

I can maybe understand picking up some Earth accents but these Romulans were living with Picard for years...in France. You'd think their accent is more french than from the UK. Or also using Terran swears like "cheeky fuckers"...that's a very specific way of swearing that only people in the UK does.
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

excalibur wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:04 am these Romulans were living with Picard for years...in France. You'd think their accent is more french than from the UK.
I could say the same about Picard.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

My headcanon is that France switched to English after finding out all the aliens spoke it.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

In my own head canon I always imagined one of his Parents was British of some kind, hence his knowledge of so much of the history and culture.

Though in regards to the Romulan voices... I wouldn't overthink it or we open up the topic of the universal translator and its myriad inconsistencies.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

No no no, WW3 was started by Britain colonizing France, so now the French have British accents. The Irish accents are from all the Irish the British brought over to do the work no one else wanted to do.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu