Babylon Five: Convictions

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Re: Babylon Five: Convictions

Post by CrypticMirror »

Marveryn wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:53 pm

People turn to religion to be part of a group and have faith that somewhere out there that our life have a meaning. As long as those factor remain a religion will be part of human need

To explain the inexplicable, to plead with the universe to be something other than it is, to find justice in the afterlife to mitigate the injustice of their fellow man. Yes. I think that TNG's approach to religion is the best one. I long for the day it is no longer needed or wanted, but I see no need to pray for it.
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

"Convictions" was most memorable for the elevator scene, maybe not a show stopper but it certainly felt like one of the more important G'Kar/Londo exchanges - and the lightbulb joke, which is a laugh but also sums up how Londo feels about his people.

The supposed "A" plot? Barely registered.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

I remember showing this episode to some friends of mine and it turned them onto B5
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

This episode showed someone willing to die just to take someone else with him, and made him sympathetic because the man he hated that much has visited horrors upon his people.

And it made the man he hated sympathetic at the same time.

I'm not sure when I last saw writing or acting that capable on TV.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

The sad thing is Brother Theo just kind of disappeared after a while. He made three solid appearances in season 3, and then just sort of stopped showing up. We know he was involved with the other religious leaders in smuggling resistance information to the Army of Light on B5, but that's the last we saw of him. We occasionally saw extras in one of their monk uniforms afterwards, but that was it. Makes you wonder if they completed their job and just moved on.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

He did show up again for Voices In The Dark, iirc
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:44 pm
To explain the inexplicable, to plead with the universe to be something other than it is, to find justice in the afterlife to mitigate the injustice of their fellow man. Yes. I think that TNG's approach to religion is the best one. I long for the day it is no longer needed or wanted, but I see no need to pray for it.
Considering the disdain the crew had for Barkley and how Riker can come down like a ton of bricks on individuals while others have more blatant violations around him. As in the introduction of ensign Ro. Or how a bridge officer acknowledges a command with a cheerful 'aye aye sir' by snapping at him that he should only use one 'aye'. I think the injustice of fellow men is still in full swing. And maybe a balm is still needed.
Cheerilee
Redshirt

Post by Cheerilee »

Interesting to note: G'Kar tried, through inaction, to allow Londo to come to harm.

Lennier couldn't do that. He reacted on instinct and tried to save Londo. And he's kind of sorry he did, because he knows that the subject of his deliverance is going to cause immeasurable suffering and death. Shouldn't Lennier protect *them* by killing Londo (or at least allowing him to die)?

Everybody's thinking about how to "Three Laws" Londo right now. G'Kar, we can all understand him wanting it, but Lennier is Londo's last, best friend on the station, and even Lennier is thinking that Londo would be better off dead.
Kinky Vorlon
Officer

Post by Kinky Vorlon »

Cheerilee wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:50 pm Shouldn't Lennier protect *them* by killing Londo (or at least allowing him to die)?
and even Lennier is thinking that Londo would be better off dead.
A bomb exploded, Lennier acted instinctively without thinking about the consequences of his actions.

Which would also happen later with rather negative repercussions.
The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And our lives slip away moment by moment lost in that vast, terrible in-between.
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

MyUserName wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:21 pm "Fun fact. That annoying guy bugging Lennir in the lobby is B5 producer Douglas Netter. "Netter's" syndrome was a joke Stracynski wrote into the script to troll him. Also another fun fact; Netter first worked with JMS on Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future.
Actually, it was John Flinn, the Director of Photography.

Douglas Netter never appeared live on the show, but a photo of him was used as a photo for President Luis Santiago (the one who died at the end of Season One).
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins