Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
J!!
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by J!! »

Nah, Picard speaks French exclusively, but the universal translator is programmed to give it an English accent. It's why his brother was such a luddite.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I always just figured that he has British blood but raised in France and/or a French family or a British blood family with a French name.

If he speaks exclusive French then how does the Universal Studios Translator know to let him express in French to demonstrate. With Data the memory banks tied to his UT emitter probably expect him to speak English, but how would it know with Picard who either always speaks French or speaks English and French to indifferent probability?
..What mirror universe?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Magic
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:46 pm I always just figured that he has British blood but raised in France and/or a French family or a British blood family with a French name.

If he speaks exclusive French then how does the Universal Studios Translator know to let him express in French to demonstrate. With Data the memory banks tied to his UT emitter probably expect him to speak English, but how would it know with Picard who either always speaks French or speaks English and French to indifferent probability?
The only way the UT even plausibly works in-universe is if it works in the same way as the Tardis - by getting inside your head. It explains how everyone sees the correct lip movements, it explains its ridiculous learning speed, and it explains the ability to switch languages on the fly. Do you remember the first episode with the UT back in TOS? The one with Cochrane and the cloud? The way Spock describes it very much sounds like a neural interface is being employed.
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

So, basically magic.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

Deledrius wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:33 am
excalibur wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:04 am these Romulans were living with Picard for years...in France. You'd think their accent is more french than from the UK.
I could say the same about Picard.
He was speaking French in a scene, so what's their excuse?
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

excalibur wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 am
excalibur wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:04 am these Romulans were living with Picard for years...in France. You'd think their accent is more french than from the UK.
Oddly enough, only when speaking to his dog. So maybe the Universal Translator is just messing with us...

French sounds like English, Dog sounds like French, and Romulan sounds like Irish.
excalibur
Officer

Post by excalibur »

Deledrius wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:48 am
excalibur wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:36 am
Oddly enough, only when speaking to his dog. So maybe the Universal Translator is just messing with us...

French sounds like English, Dog sounds like French, and Romulan sounds like Irish.
Or the production is just lazy...just like using Discovery era shuttles in the background. They should of kept the Countdown comic style uniforms we see in the flashback. Much better looking than the throw back style uniforms we see in present day
"Adapt, Overcome & Improvise"

"There's a fine line between not listening and not caring...I like to think I walk that line everyday of my life."
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

I liked the flashback style uniforms too. Though, we're probably not going to be seeing much of Starfleet uniforms going forward anyway.

The thing is, these old shuttles are being used for civilian purposes. Perhaps they've been sold to civilian companies. They have the most room for cargo and passengers.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

During the attack on the house, if Laris had died... I'd have gone and learned a Klingon death threat I swear! XD