Spider-Man: TAS - I Really, Really Hate Clones

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
clearspira
Overlord

Re: Spider-Man: TAS - I Really, Really Hate Clones

Post by clearspira »

The 90s Spider-Man and X-men cartoons have aged terribly in animation quality and dialogue to the point that I doubt Gen Z would find much here for them any more - but their stories are still worth checking out for those who can get over that. Plus they both had fantastic soundtracks.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Linkara wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:28 pm I absolutely LOVE TAS, particularly thanks to it being my biggest introduction to the Spider-Man mythos as a kid. Surprised Chuck didn't bring up that this is the finale of the show yet - and how, in turn, it's really the culmination of not just the Secret Wars adaptation but the show overall - Peter's self-respect, laying to rest his guilt over Uncle Ben, so many villains of the show referenced, and of course the paths not taken with the alternate Spider-Men (mostly of course Spidey Warbucks and his universe where nothing ever went wrong for him ever, to the point where Gwen Stacy - not present in the regular series - is alive and his girlfriend). TAS' biggest issues are, of course, its censorship and budget, from the mentioned issues regarding mentioning blood (and guns only ever being lasers to the point of ridiculousness) to the REALLY choppy editing in later seasons, either with slowed-down or reused animation frames from earlier episodes. However, I feel what elevates TAS is its writing. It's just that damn good and helps illustrate what made so much of the Spider-Man melodrama stuff so compelling and interesting.
I love TAS. I hold its version of Venom as the best Adaptation. Eddie Brock is introduced BEFORE he becomes Venom, there's a real sense of build up. And even him becoming less an antagonist is worked through the plot.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

MerelyAFan wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:56 pm
Linkara wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:28 pm I absolutely LOVE TAS, particularly thanks to it being my biggest introduction to the Spider-Man mythos as a kid. Surprised Chuck didn't bring up that this is the finale of the show yet - and how, in turn, it's really the culmination of not just the Secret Wars adaptation but the show overall - Peter's self-respect, laying to rest his guilt over Uncle Ben, so many villains of the show referenced, and of course the paths not taken with the alternate Spider-Men (mostly of course Spidey Warbucks and his universe where nothing ever went wrong for him ever, to the point where Gwen Stacy - not present in the regular series - is alive and his girlfriend). TAS' biggest issues are, of course, its censorship and budget, from the mentioned issues regarding mentioning blood (and guns only ever being lasers to the point of ridiculousness) to the REALLY choppy editing in later seasons, either with slowed-down or reused animation frames from earlier episodes. However, I feel what elevates TAS is its writing. It's just that damn good and helps illustrate what made so much of the Spider-Man melodrama stuff so compelling and interesting.
What's also notable about it (and X-Men TAS) is that cartoons in the West prior to the mid-90s weren't really doing arc based stories (with only really Animals of Farthing Wood making the attempt prior to this). Spider-Man was the first cartoon show I remember as a kid really delving into continuity and the development of character arcs as a critical aspect. Norman Osborn and Eddie Brock's descent into villainy is entirely reliant on continued plot points throughout the first and second seasons.
Animals of Farthing Wood was one of the most fantastically dark shows I have ever watched and I think far more relevant to today's Green world than it was then. I have memories of crying to this as a kid - there are more than a couple of Bambi moments in it.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 pm
Robovski wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:18 pm Filmation's The New Adventures of Flash Gordon (1979) had a general overall arc to season one, but you kids probably never saw that show. I never saw it in syndication much and it wasn't a big DVD release.
There was also Mysterious Cities of Gold, Pirates of Darkwater, Ulysses 31, Dungeons and Dragons, Jacye and the Wheeled Warriors, Around the World with Willy Fogg, Bobobobs (man, who else remembers Bobobobs?) and I'm sure I am forgetting a few. They all had season arcs and through stories, admittedly Dungeons and Dragons was a bit ropey at times, so it wasn't that uncommon.
Mm, I'd put Pirates of Darkwater into that same in-between category as Dungeons and Dragons myself. There's four or five episodes that have to be watched in correct order in the course of the run, but it's still a far cry from the second seasons of X-men or Spider-man.
clearspira wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:14 am The 90s Spider-Man and X-men cartoons have aged terribly in animation quality and dialogue to the point that I doubt Gen Z would find much here for them any more - but their stories are still worth checking out for those who can get over that. Plus they both had fantastic soundtracks.
Yeaaaaah. It's a real pity because honestly very few X-men comic storylines since the Claremont run have supplanted his material in terms of staying power and memorability. See also: the most recent X-men film was an adaptation of Dark Phoenix! Again! And not to beat around the bush the 90s series did a substantially better job of that storyline than either of those films or any other other later cartoons that brushed up against it but never actually went for full adaptation.
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 pm There was also Mysterious Cities of Gold, Pirates of Darkwater, Ulysses 31, Dungeons and Dragons, Jacye and the Wheeled Warriors, Around the World with Willy Fogg, Bobobobs (man, who else remembers Bobobobs?) and I'm sure I am forgetting a few. They all had season arcs and through stories, admittedly Dungeons and Dragons was a bit ropey at times, so it wasn't that uncommon.
Great, now I've got a bunch of theme tunes I've not heard for years stuck in my head.
Darmani
Officer

Post by Darmani »

To me newspaper Spider-Man is Spider-Man.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

Peter Parker looks kind of wrong as a big beefy guy. Though it looks like every male character is has the body of a linebacker.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 pm
Robovski wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:18 pm Filmation's The New Adventures of Flash Gordon (1979) had a general overall arc to season one, but you kids probably never saw that show. I never saw it in syndication much and it wasn't a big DVD release.
There was also Mysterious Cities of Gold, Pirates of Darkwater, Ulysses 31, Dungeons and Dragons, Jacye and the Wheeled Warriors, Around the World with Willy Fogg, Bobobobs (man, who else remembers Bobobobs?) and I'm sure I am forgetting a few. They all had season arcs and through stories, admittedly Dungeons and Dragons was a bit ropey at times, so it wasn't that uncommon.
You mention Mysterious Cities of Gold but forget Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea?
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Mickey_Rat15 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:42 am Peter Parker looks kind of wrong as a big beefy guy. Though it looks like every male character is has the body of a linebacker.
If that's wrong then I don't wanna be right.
Power laces... alright.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

It a good show, but it goes at the speed the flash says is unnecessary.