Spider-Man: TAS - I Really, Really Hate Clones

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Re: Spider-Man: TAS - I Really, Really Hate Clones

Post by Nightbeat74 »

i think my family has a few eps of this show on VHS somewhere . my little brother got it for his birth day or for Xmas i can not remember which one :? .the two EPs that has stuck with me is "make a wish" and "attack of the octobot" and all i can remember is the make-a-wish kid parts in them :( .
SpacePaladin
Redshirt

Post by SpacePaladin »

You know, it must suck to live in a universe where it's possible to destroy it and all of reality. You're just minding your own business, doing your own thing, when boom, some asshole 8 billion light years away and from a universe where the hive-minded lobster people evolved on your planet instead of the dolphin cephalapods decides to throw a tantrum and create a portal device that rips apart all of reality.

How many times has the Beyonder had to deal with shit like this?

"Okay, good, Cosmoscide has been stopped. The multiverse is now sa... oh for fuck's sake, now ^(*(GG$5 from dimension 398-#gHH2-2883 built the Ultimate Retrocontaminator, and just stabbed The One Above All, and it looks like Spider Carnage from dimension 5523-u&6g0-5731-D is just about to fire up his interdimensional portal device."
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 pm There was also Mysterious Cities of Gold, Pirates of Darkwater, Ulysses 31, Dungeons and Dragons, Jacye and the Wheeled Warriors, Around the World with Willy Fogg, Bobobobs (man, who else remembers Bobobobs?) and I'm sure I am forgetting a few. They all had season arcs and through stories, admittedly Dungeons and Dragons was a bit ropey at times, so it wasn't that uncommon.
Mysterious Cities of Gold and Ulysses 31 were both french/anime imports. Anime had been doing serialized storytelling for ages, even then. It gets more recognized here in things like Macross/Robotech, but also carried through stuff like Maya the Bee or Noozles. So not as huge a deal there.

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors didn't have continuity, not really. It had the overarching "we need to find Jayce's dad" but the characters didn't really grow or change or remember earlier episodes, the gear didn't evolve, they never got around to an actual ending... it was pretty stand alone from episode to episode outside.

Pirates of Dark Water absolutely had continuity, but it also didn't find any sort of success and ended without getting even close to finishing. The first batch of episodes all string together as a movie, and after that it keeps a tight track on who has what maguffin. You can see some of it a little out of order, but it tracked pretty consistently up till its not-ending.

Surprisingly Thundercats of all things had a lot of continuity. They tracked new characters being introduced, upgrades for the badguys, had constant five parters (especially in the second season) that changed the status quo and especially in the second season and on kept doing that... though still loaded with filler episodes that had no bearing on anything. The entire last 20 episodes were all a mega arc, and that was in 89!

Mighty Max, had lots of ongoing connected episodes along with a lot of stand alones. Probably15 out of its 40 episodes were ongoing story related, and out of the other 25 a lot of those had continuing plotlines too. Standalone but returning villains and setpieces they kept getting back to.

Exo-Squad, whch Chuck has covered some, was insanely continuity heavy. And that was 93-94, so its the same peer group as the marvel shows and Gargoyles.
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

Christopher Daniel Barnes' take on Peter Parker has had a lot of influence on how many imagine the character's voice. I swear its what Yuri Lowenthal had in mind when portraying the character for the PS4 game.

Also, quick bit of trivia, Christopher Barnes was also the votive of Prince Eric in 'The Little Mermaid'.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

CrypticMirror wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 pm
Robovski wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:18 pm Filmation's The New Adventures of Flash Gordon (1979) had a general overall arc to season one, but you kids probably never saw that show. I never saw it in syndication much and it wasn't a big DVD release.
There was also Mysterious Cities of Gold,
Still cant believe that show got 3 more seasons 30 years after the fact.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

SpacePaladin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:02 am You know, it must suck to live in a universe where it's possible to destroy it and all of reality.
Idunno could be worse.
Power laces... alright.
Rodan56
Officer

Post by Rodan56 »

I've softened a lot on 90s Spider-Man, it's not perfect but it's a fairly good show. Although, while the censorship, primitive cgi, constant reuse of animation and choppy editing are all problems, I kinda forgive them as the core of the show is still solid.

My only REAL complaint that I can't change is everything regarding the relationships on the show when it comes to Felicia Hardy. I found it REALLY forced how they shoved Morbius onto of all characters just to give Peter an out of the love triangle between her and Mary Jane. Especially when they spent so much time creating chemistry between Peter and Felicia. Honestly, that relationship just seemed to click better for me and it's probably why I prefer Black Cat and Spidey to other possible love interests. They did such a good job with it that I find it baffling that they were so quick to discard it.

And you know, I think they regretted it. Because in that Secret Wars arc, despite her being in a relationship with Morbius at the time, they have Felicia make out with Spider-Man and try to rekindle their romance. I honestly think the writers WANTED to keep Black Cat and Spidey together and kept looking for ways to make it happen.

And I still have no idea WHY they chose Morbius anyway. I feel like literally ANY other male character could've worked better. There had to be somebody in the Spidey Catalogue that would've fit.

It's still a fun series and I wish it was out on DVD in a more affordable format, but the way they seemed to handicap themselves regarding Felicia always felt baffling to me. Or maybe it's just my shipper side, I don't know.
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

Honestly always rooted for Debra in the 90s show. Even if the show kinda treats her like shit. Like she's fine looking. She's into science like Peter. Which puts her ahead of MJ and Felicia who share little interests with Peter.
Mickey_Rat15
Officer

Post by Mickey_Rat15 »

SpacePaladin wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:02 am You know, it must suck to live in a universe where it's possible to destroy it and all of reality. You're just minding your own business, doing your own thing, when boom, some asshole 8 billion light years away and from a universe where the hive-minded lobster people evolved on your planet instead of the dolphin cephalapods decides to throw a tantrum and create a portal device that rips apart all of reality.

How many times has the Beyonder had to deal with shit like this?

"Okay, good, Cosmoscide has been stopped. The multiverse is now sa... oh for fuck's sake, now ^(*(GG$5 from dimension 398-#gHH2-2883 built the Ultimate Retrocontaminator, and just stabbed The One Above All, and it looks like Spider Carnage from dimension 5523-u&6g0-5731-D is just about to fire up his interdimensional portal device."
Is the multiverse finite or infinite? If it can happen in one universe then the likelihood of it happening in one universe are a couple of new variables in the Drake Equation to find how many people in would go crazy in this way with the level of technological development to actually do it.

If it is infinite, then it is a smaller infinity based on the modified Drake equation, and the Beyonder is dealing with it on a moment to moment basis.
A managed democracy is a wonderful thing... for the managers... and its greatest strength is a 'free press' when 'free' is defined as 'responsible' and the managers define what is 'irresponsible'.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
SpacePaladin
Redshirt

Post by SpacePaladin »

Spider Carnage makes me think of the African proverb:
'The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth'.
Now replace 'the village' with 'all of reality'.