MLP Lincoln's Day (?) Show

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: MLP Lincoln's Day (?) Show

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

aceina wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:53 am equestria is a world where society puts value on friendship above all else those who do not feel remorse do get punished look at cozy glow for example and she is a child

equestria girls which takes place on earth does do what you are talking about (sunset shimmer is best character in all of MLP) people do hold the past against people and forgiveness has to be earned
but why is Sunset different in that regard? and I've already said why Cozy Glow doesn't count.

also, ponies did hold a grudge against Trixie after "Magic Duel" but none of the other former villains.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:04 am I am yet again disappointment that Chuck didn't address the elephant in the room and I feel the need to bring it up.

Starlight Glimmer is really the start of this problem of characters being forgiven way to easily. so it can serve as a springboard to the problem in general.

once again, most of the reformed villains still are guilty of terorism or war crimes but not only are let off the hook by the Princesses every single time but absolutely everyone in the universe forgives them, there isn't even one person who still holds a grudge. can the opposite happen at least once? and they few villains that werent reformed don't count because they weren't focused on, it's an afterthought before switching back to how sad we should feel about the reformed villain and root for them to be redeemed.

and this kind of thing infects other hugely popular and influencial shows, need I remind you of the genocidal diamonds from Steven Univverse geting let off the hook?

I grew up with stuff like the original Powerpuff Girls and 101 Dalmatians: The Series, where, even the protagonists got punished every time they did something wrong. and most of the time, not even just karmic punishments but actually parentally or legally efforced punishments. and I didn't watch it grownig up but the original My Little Pony cartoon had stuff like one villain actually being handcuffed on sceen and another being given an ultimatum of "Stop being evil or we'll let you fall into a portal to Hell".

and Friendship is Magic has this poblem in regards to it's protagonists too like Rainbow Dash in "Tanks for the Memories" or any episode with the "reformed" Discord. even shows I still really like like The Lion Guard had this problem for half of it's run and only stopped by either having the main characters never make mistakes again after a certain point or make it so they aren't really their fault like Kion acting under the influence of cobra venom. I can only think of two shows that I don't see this problem in and one I only saw a few episodes of so am not sure of even that much.

what are these soccor mom approved shows going to teach kids, that they can get away with anything as long as they apologize, whatever happened to "sorry isn't good enough?"
You had me on your side, and then you lose me.
Sailor Nimue
Redshirt

Post by Sailor Nimue »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 am
aceina wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:53 am equestria is a world where society puts value on friendship above all else those who do not feel remorse do get punished look at cozy glow for example and she is a child

equestria girls which takes place on earth does do what you are talking about (sunset shimmer is best character in all of MLP) people do hold the past against people and forgiveness has to be earned
but why is Sunset different in that regard? and I've already said why Cozy Glow doesn't count.

also, ponies did hold a grudge against Trixie after "Magic Duel" but none of the other former villains.
Sunset wasn't forgiven instantly though. Throughout most of Rainbow Rocks, no one really trusts her after what she did in the first movie. The students and faculty are wary of her, and even the Humane Five don't really consider her a friend. And the thing is, everyone is kinda in the right. Sunset had been a bully for years, and it takes her proving she's changed in Rainbow Rocks to finally earn their trust and become true friends.

Starlight, however, was forgiven almost immediately, despite what she did being far worse in comparison. She was even shown what she was doing would kill everything, and she kept going. Most shows would have that be the moment Twilight realizes that not everyone can be reasoned with or redeemed. But here, because she has a "sad" backstory, Starlight gets a pass and no one seems to mind that she nearly doomed the entire planet. Never-mind that the backstories is one of the worst example of a "sad" backstories I've ever seen and does not make her look sympathetic in the slightest.

The village accepting her back so easily is also insulting. She had basically brainwashed them for years, so they would have every right to tell Starlight to get out and never bother them again. To be frank, Starlight Glimmer absolute deserved to be thrown into Tartarus.

Starlight being redeemed and forgiven so easily basically sends the message for kids that it doesn't matter how badly you hurt someone else, as long as you say sorry you wont be punished. Thats a terrible message.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Sailor Nimue wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:02 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 am

Sunset wasn't forgiven instantly though. Throughout most of Rainbow Rocks, no one really trusts her after what she did in the first movie. The students and faculty are wary of her, and even the Humane Five don't really consider her a friend. And the thing is, everyone is kinda in the right. Sunset had been a bully for years, and it takes her proving she's changed in Rainbow Rocks to finally earn their trust and become true friends.

Starlight, however, was forgiven almost immediately, despite what she did being far worse in comparison. She was even shown what she was doing would kill everything, and she kept going. Most shows would have that be the moment Twilight realizes that not everyone can be reasoned with or redeemed. But here, because she has a "sad" backstory, Starlight gets a pass and no one seems to mind that she nearly doomed the entire planet. Never-mind that the backstories is one of the worst example of a "sad" backstories I've ever seen and does not make her look sympathetic in the slightest.

The village accepting her back so easily is also insulting. She had basically brainwashed them for years, so they would have every right to tell Starlight to get out and never bother them again. To be frank, Starlight Glimmer absolute deserved to be thrown into Tartarus.

Starlight being redeemed and forgiven so easily basically sends the message for kids that it doesn't matter how badly you hurt someone else, as long as you say sorry you wont be punished. Thats a terrible message.
Can't argue with that there.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:57 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:04 am I am yet again disappointment that Chuck didn't address the elephant in the room and I feel the need to bring it up.

Starlight Glimmer is really the start of this problem of characters being forgiven way to easily. so it can serve as a springboard to the problem in general.

once again, most of the reformed villains still are guilty of terorism or war crimes but not only are let off the hook by the Princesses every single time but absolutely everyone in the universe forgives them, there isn't even one person who still holds a grudge. can the opposite happen at least once? and they few villains that werent reformed don't count because they weren't focused on, it's an afterthought before switching back to how sad we should feel about the reformed villain and root for them to be redeemed.

and this kind of thing infects other hugely popular and influencial shows, need I remind you of the genocidal diamonds from Steven Univverse geting let off the hook?

I grew up with stuff like the original Powerpuff Girls and 101 Dalmatians: The Series, where, even the protagonists got punished every time they did something wrong. and most of the time, not even just karmic punishments but actually parentally or legally efforced punishments. and I didn't watch it grownig up but the original My Little Pony cartoon had stuff like one villain actually being handcuffed on sceen and another being given an ultimatum of "Stop being evil or we'll let you fall into a portal to Hell".

and Friendship is Magic has this poblem in regards to it's protagonists too like Rainbow Dash in "Tanks for the Memories" or any episode with the "reformed" Discord. even shows I still really like like The Lion Guard had this problem for half of it's run and only stopped by either having the main characters never make mistakes again after a certain point or make it so they aren't really their fault like Kion acting under the influence of cobra venom. I can only think of two shows that I don't see this problem in and one I only saw a few episodes of so am not sure of even that much.

what are these soccor mom approved shows going to teach kids, that they can get away with anything as long as they apologize, whatever happened to "sorry isn't good enough?"
how did I loose you?
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:13 am

how did I loose you?
Again, I don't think show like MLP should decide the next generation of the human race morals. Give them clues maybe but not be their teachers.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:25 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:13 am

how did I loose you?
Again, I don't think show like MLP should decide the next generation of the human race morals. Give them clues maybe but not be their teachers.
I'd still appreciate more elaboration. it's not like 101 Dalmatians: The Series completely shaped my moral fiber.
aceina
Officer

Post by aceina »

my point was equstria society operates different than humans thats why i brought up sunset

equestria views wanting forgiveness as a good thing and thus lets things go those who refuse to repent are viewed as monsters and thrown into hell
Thebestoftherest
Captain

aceina wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:48 am my point was equstria society operates different than humans thats why i brought up sunset

equestria views wanting forgiveness as a good thing and thus lets things go those who refuse to repent are viewed as monsters and thrown into hell
Yay, too me unless a cartoon does something uncomfortably close to reality give them a break.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Equestria is a place where Friendship is LITERALLY a magical superpower that governs at least some aspects of the world, and the entire world has rounded edges where no one gets hurt by more than a sprain.

Its fine that they're more forgiving of their enemies and willing to give them second chances, it usually works out.

See also any shonen series ever where old enemies become allies and friends all the timme.