MLP Lincoln's Day (?) Show

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: MLP Lincoln's Day (?) Show

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Keep in mind that Starlight Glimmer thought she was just breaking some friendships; she didn't know that doing so would let the world be ruined. So her forgiveness is pretty much her being forgiven by the Mane 6 (and Spike), and the only ones who really experienced anything were Twilight and Spike. For the rest of the Mane 6, Twilight and Spike just showed up with Starlight and told them a scary story.

Twilight and Spike were the only ones who really suffered, and Twilight is the Princess of Friendship, and Spike is her assistant. Promoting friendship is literally their jobs, and Twilight likes to do it by example.

Add in that Starlight was clearly remorseful, that Twilight wanted Starlight on her side because she was so powerful. Putting her in a dungeon wouldn't have helped anyone.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I'm just really annoyed that the first two-parter wasn't titled "Mareson Bergeron". Huge wasted opportunity there.
And SFdebris, we get Pinwheel footage and 1984 but no mention of that anti-communist short story? Come on!

Edit: Oh okay, there we are, in the second half. Shouldn't have doubted him.

PPS: Also...I love his digressions. They were beautiful, and the end made me a little sniffly. ;-; Plus that Best Garbageman Ever thing reminds me a little of Hindu philosophy.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

The asides done here were done to good effect and showed an interesting view point to consider.
But hearing that the school basically said. "You could be good if you tried." and the lesson being "Cabbage brains yellow fusivly banana is." And not just one student but all the students look puzzled to lost so the teacher just repeats. "Cabbage brains yellow fusivly banana is." And doesn't understand why the students don't grasp the concept. It sounds so familiar.

Yet it also reminded me of a teacher I had. Mr. Baum. He taught math, but he would not just teach the formulas and call it a day. He would tell us how and why what he was teaching was useful in the real world. Is over Of X over a hundred, I still use. Simply because he taught more than wrote memorization.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Sailor Nimue wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:02 am
Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:30 am
aceina wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:53 am equestria is a world where society puts value on friendship above all else those who do not feel remorse do get punished look at cozy glow for example and she is a child

equestria girls which takes place on earth does do what you are talking about (sunset shimmer is best character in all of MLP) people do hold the past against people and forgiveness has to be earned
but why is Sunset different in that regard? and I've already said why Cozy Glow doesn't count.

also, ponies did hold a grudge against Trixie after "Magic Duel" but none of the other former villains.
Sunset wasn't forgiven instantly though. Throughout most of Rainbow Rocks, no one really trusts her after what she did in the first movie. The students and faculty are wary of her, and even the Humane Five don't really consider her a friend. And the thing is, everyone is kinda in the right. Sunset had been a bully for years, and it takes her proving she's changed in Rainbow Rocks to finally earn their trust and become true friends.

Starlight, however, was forgiven almost immediately, despite what she did being far worse in comparison. She was even shown what she was doing would kill everything, and she kept going. Most shows would have that be the moment Twilight realizes that not everyone can be reasoned with or redeemed. But here, because she has a "sad" backstory, Starlight gets a pass and no one seems to mind that she nearly doomed the entire planet. Never-mind that the backstories is one of the worst example of a "sad" backstories I've ever seen and does not make her look sympathetic in the slightest.

The village accepting her back so easily is also insulting. She had basically brainwashed them for years, so they would have every right to tell Starlight to get out and never bother them again. To be frank, Starlight Glimmer absolute deserved to be thrown into Tartarus.

Starlight being redeemed and forgiven so easily basically sends the message for kids that it doesn't matter how badly you hurt someone else, as long as you say sorry you wont be punished. Thats a terrible message.
Would the origin work if her friend die on the way back. Plus I feel the town should kick her out and make twilight deal with her.
Sailor Nimue
Redshirt

Post by Sailor Nimue »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 pm Would the origin work if her friend die on the way back. Plus I feel the town should kick her out and make twilight deal with her.
To be honest, if Sunburst had died, it may have helped her backstory work a little bit more.

Also, I wish Starlight going back had been it's own episode. That way, she could have either earned their forgiveness, or the episode could have taught that sometimes, even though you apologized, you do not deserve forgiveness. If you hurt someone really badly, they have every right to not forgive you.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:47 am Equestria is a place where Friendship is LITERALLY a magical superpower that governs at least some aspects of the world, and the entire world has rounded edges where no one gets hurt by more than a sprain.

Its fine that they're more forgiving of their enemies and willing to give them second chances, it usually works out.

See also any shonen series ever where old enemies become allies and friends all the timme.
I only know one shonen anime, the Dragon Ball series. starting with Frieza they didn't really reform any villains, even Majin Buu doesn't really count because the one they became friends with is technically, not the same person as the one they fought after he expelled his evil side.

and Equestria Girls has the same lovey dovey friendship themes, so, why was Sunset Shimmer the only exception to instant forgiveness and pardon in this franchise?

this and other shows are holding a gun to kids' heads and telling them "you absolutely have to forgive anyone who wronged you no matter the circumstances and if you don't, you are a bad person." it's okay not to forgive someone if they did something horrible to you.

and back to the movie, the war criminal and the slave trader get off scott free but Princess Skystar gets grounded by her mother for helping save Equestria?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Sailor Nimue wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:53 pm
Thebestoftherest wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:27 pm Would the origin work if her friend die on the way back. Plus I feel the town should kick her out and make twilight deal with her.
To be honest, if Sunburst had died, it may have helped her backstory work a little bit more.

Also, I wish Starlight going back had been it's own episode. That way, she could have either earned their forgiveness, or the episode could have taught that sometimes, even though you apologized, you do not deserve forgiveness. If you hurt someone really badly, they have every right to not forgive you.
Agreed. That really deserved its own separate space for resolution.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Oh Starlight how I hate thee. She is spiteful Mary Sue who doesn't get punished from her miss deeds and suffering she caused to others. At end she is pretty much just forgiven and her presence ruins season 6.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Well by the end of season 5 they'd done just about everything they could with the leads, all of them having achieved their dreams at that point, they needed SOME sort of new blood and new dynamics to keep the show fresh and focusing on a new characters going through a journey similar to Twilight's and focusing on some secondary and background characters was the way to go.

Of course even that only went so far and by season 8 they REALLY didn't know what they were doing with the school thing, which I assume was just sort of a Hasbro mandate. Everyone dropping their busy, BUSY lives in order to be teachers was just a really weird fit for most of them.

Starlight was a good idea, but a bad execution. Also, her origin and role was SO close to Sunset's that it was a little awkward. I always preferred Sunset because her colors stood out better compared to the others, while Starlight looked REALLY close to Twilight so she just kind of blended in the group shots.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:28 pm I only know one shonen anime, the Dragon Ball series. starting with Frieza they didn't really reform any villains, even Majin Buu doesn't really count because the one they became friends with is technically, not the same person as the one they fought after he expelled his evil side.
Yamcha, Oolong, Krillin, Tien, Piccollo, Vegeta, 16, 17,18, Fat Buu and Beerus were all enemies first before they became allies. Even pure evil Kid Buu was reincarnated into Uub who Goku took as a disciple.

And with the advent of Super, even Freeza has basically been pushed into a "he's still bad and self interested but he'll help out against bigger threats" role. At this point Cell is pretty much the only holdover that never switched sides, and if his spots weren't such a pain to animate I'm sure they would have brought him back by now too.