Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Enterprising
Officer

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by Enterprising »

Zargon wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:53 pm So Picard was crazy obsessed with saving the Romulans for no reason, but guess he was just getting old and crazy.
While obviously not great, I'll certainly take it over him trying to use the prime directive as an excuse to do bugger all, like he did many times in TNG.
Zargon wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:53 pm Just think what Classic Picard would have done: Ok, Starfleet said no...fine who needs them. Mr. Picard would have set off on his own and gathered a fleet of Civilian transport ships.
Even better than that, he'd have turned I'm sure plenty of Starfleet captains who felt the same way he did. Probably would have went to races like the Ferengi (chance for profit) Breen & Cardassians (chance to slash/forgive their war reparations to the Romulans) and maybe even the Klingons by appealing to their sense of honour in helping their recent comrades in arms from the Dominion War.

Point is of course, there's plenty of possibilities.

Oh and “yay!” to yet another pointless f-bomb in Star Trek, and well done to the genius doctor (the writers in reality) in getting the number of stars wrong in the galaxy by around a few hundred billion or so.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Sadly, getting well known scientific facts wrong is nothing new to Trek. Remember the planet that had an average temperature below absolute zero? That line made me cringe as well, like she missed a word.

There were plenty of possibilities, but all of them could have met with failure. Since member worlds were threatening to leave, even other captains who thought like Picard either kept quiet, resigned like him, or her drummed out like Raffi. And I doubt, even if they believe the cause, they would commit what is essentially piracy for it.

The Ferengi probably did help with the evacuation, but concentrated on those with the wealth and connections to make it profitable. Considering the Cardassians were bombed back to the stone age with a billion of their own people exterminated only a couple decades before, and likely under crippling sanctions, they probably were in no position to help much. Who knows with the Breen, and the deep seeded hatred of the Romulans among the Klingons probably tied up their efforts.

And I can't help but think the Tal Shiar has their talon deep into all this. They probably got all of their assets off world when they first learned of the coming supernova so their power would be in tact. And the weaker the Senate, military, and general Romulan public is, the stronger they are in comparison.

I feel like this needed a whole series to lead into it. Perhaps they should have covered the Romulan supernova instead of trying to justify screwing over Axinar by making Discovery.
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

People complaining about all the foul language in this show well about 2-3 instances seem to forget that people have sworn in Star Trek before.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

unknownsample wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:01 am People complaining about all the foul language in this show well about 2-3 instances seem to forget that people have sworn in Star Trek before.
Yes, words that are in the dictionary. (Hell, damn, bastard.) Data in Generations was Brent Spiner improvising, and wasn't in script. Lilly in First Contact was fine since she was from Earth of the past.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

They say stuff like damn and ass in the 90's shows.
..What mirror universe?
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

Enterprising wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:07 am
unknownsample wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:01 am People complaining about all the foul language in this show well about 2-3 instances seem to forget that people have sworn in Star Trek before.
Yes, words that are in the dictionary. (Hell, damn, bastard.) Data in Generations was Brent Spiner improvising, and wasn't in script. Lilly in First Contact was fine since she was from Earth of the past.
That's hair splitting, the fact is people have sworn in Star Trek before and it never before bothered anyone now a couple of uses of the f word and suddenly people like you are up in arms.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Enterprising wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:07 am
So? Why it's problem now when it wasn't issue before? I sense some double standard from people who complain about it now and act like it's issue.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

sometimes people just need to complain for the sake of it I believe.
..What mirror universe?
Riedquat
Captain

Post by Riedquat »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:38 am sometimes people just need to complain for the sake of it I believe.
That's something people often say to try to ignore someone's complaint rather than think about it. Easier to attack the complainer than it is to attack their complaint...
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Riedquat wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:07 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:38 am sometimes people just need to complain for the sake of it I believe.
That's something people often say to try to ignore someone's complaint rather than think about it. Easier to attack the complainer than it is to attack their complaint...
Yes that's a horrible thing.
..What mirror universe?