SG-1: Forever in a Day

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
PapaPalpatine
Officer

Re: SG-1: Forever in a Day

Post by PapaPalpatine »

The scenario in this episode is a prime example of why it pays to have weapons that can be set for stun. Knock her out, take that Goa'uld Power Glove off her, and tie her up. After that, take her back to Stargate Command, strap her down to an infirmary bed, and make a call to the Tok'ra or anyone else who might be able to help sort the situation out.
APlotdevice
Redshirt

Post by APlotdevice »

I imagine a big part of why Michael Shanks brought Sha’re up was in part because Vaitiare Hirshon-Asars, Sha’re’s actress on the series, was not only his girlfriend at the time, but the mother of his first child. In fact the whole subplot of Sha’re being pregnant was written in because Vaitiare was very much pregnant herself in a previous appearance.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

I think it would have been better to have the episode just about the same, but then in the end Teal’c disables her. Maybe it would have been seen as a copout, but it makes sense that Sha’re assumed she would die.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

There are only two positive things the Sha're arc added to the mythos.

1) It led directly to the Oma Desala plot, and what SG-1 would later do with Ascended beings, and Ascension in general. Even if it was poorly executed, and there were other ways you could have brought in Ascended beings.

2) THE OPENING ACTION SEQUENCE. Holy shit, nuff said. Sadly, that's how I'd imagine the Battle of Hogwarts going if the wizards weren't so damned fucking patronizing and allowed Muggles to fight alongside them.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Yukaphile wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:08 am There are only two positive things the Sha're arc added to the mythos.

1) It led directly to the Oma Desala plot, and what SG-1 would later do with Ascended beings, and Ascension in general. Even if it was poorly executed, and there were other ways you could have brought in Ascended beings.

2) THE OPENING ACTION SEQUENCE. Holy shit, nuff said. Sadly, that's how I'd imagine the Battle of Hogwarts going if the wizards weren't so damned fucking patronizing and allowed Muggles to fight alongside them.
Well... look. I am a big critic of Rowling's worldbuilding. I think she gets far too much credit for what in parts is quite a substandard narrative. But regarding guns and wizards there is one thing you need to bear in mind: this is Britain. Using guns in a kids book is problematic lets put it that way. For reference, we are the country that had a serious discussion about banning points on kitchen knives and ended up with an open verdict.

You'll note that when Vernon bought a gun in ''Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone'' it is done so covertly in an unmarked little package and ends up being rendered useless immediately. Frankly I have no idea where he even got that rifle from. We don't have a 100% ban on guns, farmers can own them to protect their flocks from foxes for example, but I don't see how the owner of a drill company managed to get hold of one.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

CrypticMirror wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:44 pm I keep getting this one confused with the one where Daniel goes mad with power and conquers the world when given a hallucination. Man, that guy gets a lot of hallucinations.
Darth Wedgius wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:32 pm https://sfdebris.com/videos/stargate/sg1s3e10.php

Teal'c, you can bean a running man on the head with an avocado at 50 yards, but you can't shoot her in the arm while she's standing three feet away from you? Come on, man!
Yeah, but two things:
1: That doesn't result in a dead Goa'uld, and the ultimate ending of the lineage of Apophis, now does it? And Teal'c is all about the endeadening of the Goa'uld.
2: The Goa'uld snake would just body surf on into Daniel, and now he's got someone else to shoot. Guy can't spend all day shooting fools, he has some serious brooding time to get in too.
I can't blame Teal'c for that. In his mind that was probably like killing a clone of Hitler given the genetic memories. I think many people would have done the same.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

clearspira wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:56 pm

You'll note that when Vernon bought a gun in ''Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone'' it is done so covertly in an unmarked little package and ends up being rendered useless immediately. Frankly I have no idea where he even got that rifle from. We don't have a 100% ban on guns, farmers can own them to protect their flocks from foxes for example, but I don't see how the owner of a drill company managed to get hold of one.
Probably said it was for deerstalking or grouse shooting. An upwardly mobile company executive, with a sister like Marge who is obviously in with the country set as would turn up in an enhanced disclosure check, would have no problem getting a licence on those grounds. A single bolt action rifle could be acquired legally on those grounds with little eyebrow raising. Or it could have been a simple shotgun, again pheasant (on which ever landowner makes the obligatory joke about wishing they could drop the h out of it, and yet somehow that is never seen as a red flag), a licence for which is even easier to get and is an even easier thing to buy legally, and Harry, whom everybody knows is as observant and insightful as your average housebrick, simply took for a rifle.

They are all supposed to be transported securely, and kept in a secure and lockable structurally mounted safe separate from the ammunition in a different structurally mounted safe, the keys to both are to be kept in yet another locked structurally mounted box, the key to that is to be kept on the licence holder at all times, but those requirements are more honoured in the breach than observance. Anyway, Vernon's supposed rifle, which also could have been an air rifle which Harry just thought was a real gun, is easily explainable. He should have been a lot more careful with it, but the ba////cops usually give those in Vernon's social class a pass when it comes to inspections and if they do inspect his gun storage then they give several warnings before taking any action.