The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
thetrueelec
Officer

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by thetrueelec »

Liea using the force was great, Luke having a character arc was great, Snoke getting killed so Kylo Ren, the character we care about, become the big bad is great. TLJ is great
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

thetrueelec wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:39 pm Liea using the force was great, Luke having a character arc was great, Snoke getting killed so Kylo Ren, the character we care about, become the big bad is great. TLJ is great
I would have not been upset or surprised by Leia being able to use the Force. It was that Mary Poppins s ene that bugs me. Just no way around doing that scene without making it look silly.

Having an arc doesn't make it great. Making the arc make sense in the context of the previous trilogy and yes they could have done some fan service by showing him do some cool stuff but they didn't.

Snoke being killed off is just a scene to subvert expectations. That's pretty much that scene. You expect the big bad guy to live and somehow Rey to escape.

A better subversion of expectations would have been Rey doing Dark and Ren going back to being Ben.
I got nothing to say here.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

thetrueelec wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:39 pm Liea using the force was great, Luke having a character arc was great, Snoke getting killed so Kylo Ren, the character we care about, become the big bad is great. TLJ is great
TLJ's script is so awful I wouldn't use it as toilet paper. Leia lying through space is moronic. Luke being a cowardly crotch-tit sucking traitor who allowed trillions to die and whined when asked to help was insulting and him dying for no reason was a blatant middle finger to anyone who ever cared about him. Kylo Ren is an unsympathetic asshole who deserved to die and was impossible to take seriously as a villain because he got his ass kicked and humiliated too many times and they tried too hard to make him a good little boy who didn't do nothing. I hate that movie with every fiber of my being and when it comes to story and character, it fails amazingly hard on every level and I cannot name one thing I liked about it. It's a spiteful, hateful, asinine little piece of shit that never should have been made and it's clear Rian Johnson's nearly unrivaled arrogance was mistaken for talent. In fact, he is such an untalented, pretentious twat he deserves to be flipping burgers somewhere. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
thetrueelec
Officer

Post by thetrueelec »

McAvoy wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:31 am
I would have not been upset or surprised by Leia being able to use the Force. It was that Mary Poppins s ene that bugs me. Just no way around doing that scene without making it look silly.

Having an arc doesn't make it great. Making the arc make sense in the context of the previous trilogy and yes they could have done some fan service by showing him do some cool stuff but they didn't.

Snoke being killed off is just a scene to subvert expectations. That's pretty much that scene. You expect the big bad guy to live and somehow Rey to escape.

A better subversion of expectations would have been Rey doing Dark and Ren going back to being Ben.
Luke's confrontation with Kylo is the coolest scene in Star Wars, he manages to beat the bad guys without violence, perfect for a Jedi

Snoke dying is to make Kylo the big bad, becuause Snoke wasn't interesting and he was.
thetrueelec
Officer

Post by thetrueelec »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:36 am
TLJ's script is so awful I wouldn't use it as toilet paper. Leia lying through space is moronic. Luke being a cowardly crotch-tit sucking traitor who allowed trillions to die and whined when asked to help was insulting and him dying for no reason was a blatant middle finger to anyone who ever cared about him. Kylo Ren is an unsympathetic asshole who deserved to die and was impossible to take seriously as a villain because he got his ass kicked and humiliated too many times and they tried too hard to make him a good little boy who didn't do nothing. I hate that movie with every fiber of my being and when it comes to story and character, it fails amazingly hard on every level and I cannot name one thing I liked about it. It's a spiteful, hateful, asinine little piece of shit that never should have been made and it's clear Rian Johnson's nearly unrivaled arrogance was mistaken for talent. In fact, he is such an untalented, pretentious twat he deserves to be flipping burgers somewhere. It's one of the worst movies I have ever seen.
Amazing, everything you just said is wrong.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

thetrueelec wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:29 am Luke's confrontation with Kylo is the coolest scene in Star Wars, he manages to beat the bad guys without violence, perfect for a Jedi

Snoke dying is to make Kylo the big bad, becuause Snoke wasn't interesting and he was.
I totally agree with this. It does fit into his character and it doesn't contradict how he was in RotJ during those throne room scenes.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Wargriffin
Captain

Post by Wargriffin »

Reys problem is for whatever reason they wanted a mysterious protagonist!

Which if they really wanted to do episode 7-9 They should have just made the protagonists Luke's Kids and come up with something original instead of The Empire is Back!

Honestly The character who should have had a earth shattering reveal was Finn... cause for a lowly janitor/ Stormtrooper He happens to know alot of the state of the art high end shit the FOs got.
"When you rule by fear, your greatest weakness is the one who's no longer afraid."
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

thetrueelec wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:29 am
ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:36 am
Amazing, everything you just said is wrong.
Thanks for proving everything I just said right. Here's a tip, having no way to defend the movie so you just post a quote from it; is obnoxious and makes you look dumb.

You know I'm right, you can't even conjure up any defense for that abortion of a film other than to quote it because the movie is so aggressive shitty but you'll defend it for some idiotic reasoning that is beyond me. You can't even properly defend it with anything other than vague statements and praise for the most hollow, soulless movie ever made, and your pathetic defense doesn't hold up under scrutiny in the slightest. Luke's final battle was lame and insulting, Kylo Ren isn't an interesting or intimidating character.

I don't personally know anyone who liked the movie. My cousin did, and then saw it again and admitted it sucked. None of my writing friends liked the movie, they were all appalled by it. So do yourself a favor, and just stop.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

So you want us that like ST some how not defend those because you don't like it? Sorry kiddo, world doesn't revolve around you so don't expect that people need to have same opinion as you. No one who likes ST shouldn't feel like they can't voice they opinion because some one who hates ST doesn't like that.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

thetrueelec wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:19 am Yes him not making Rey a Skywalker, an incredibly stupid idea, and instead making a point about how anyone can be a hero was just awful
I'm sorry, but no one who watched TLJ can say this honestly.

No one is a hero in TLJ. The entire point of the film is that everyone fails. The heroes fail. They're all losers, alone in the galaxy, their plans have failed. Heroism was a False God that got people killed.

The point of TLJ was never "anyone can be a hero" (funny how this theme didn't show up as a retcon for TLJ until TRoS came out, which actually does have that as a theme -- because it carried it forward from TFA), the theme of TLJ was that "no one is a hero, they're just people".