The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Re: The Rise of Skywalker (Spoilers: Read at Your Own Risk)

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Mecha82 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:01 pm
McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:58 am He gets beat by Rey who has absolutely no Force training. Yeah yeah she downloaded the training from him through their Vulcan mind meld in other sources outside the movie.
Did you happen to forge that when Rey beat him in TFA he was wounded by Chewie's Bowcaster and he didn't even want to kill Rey so he wasn't even fighting seriously. When Rey got angry and started attacking him he was surprised by that. I mean that was really cear to anyone to see but I guess you didn't pay attention.
If a highly trained soldier who was slightly injured got jumped by a street punk half their size and with no training, the soldier would win. No contest.
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

I rarely post here now anyway, especially anything Star Wars related, since I'm more active on Discord anyway, but I said it before, I'll say it again. Rise of Skywalker paints Kennedy as the Queen Hypocrite of Lucasfilm. She said they had no particular issue with the EU, but ejected it for "creative freedom" and to maintain some level of surprise - and then they plagiarize Dark Empire, one of the most fan-divisive stories within the EU only a month after Kennedy said "no source material." The only way the sequels would be a "surprise" to you is if you weren't an EU fan or had never even heard of it, and were transported to this time period from prior to 1977, or an alternate dimension where Star Wars never came out in the seventies. She insists the older EU had no oversight from George, yet there were very specific guidelines on what he wanted to get done, and they'd pitch their ideas to him, and he would go over what was not allowed (like how he didn't want them exploring Yoda's species, he didn't want Luke killed in New Jedi Order, and so on). He would even call up the authors and praise them for what they'd done. And not a single damned person at Lucasfilm at the moment has the decency to admit they got the idea from an older comic. They keep saying "George this, George that," but they're not honoring him. They dropped him at the first opportunity. And I personally would have loved exploring the concept of the midi-chlorians further.

For all the "creative freedom" they cited, they followed none of it. I've seen articles insist the fact Rise of Skywalker has been so poorly received proves the EU couldn't be adapted. I disagree. For one thing, the most common criticism against TROS is that it does not explain how Palpatine returns, and an editor at Lucasfilm said that was going "off topic." Some speculate it's so the new EU can fill in the gaps, but that's not how a movie is supposed to work. Meanwhile, the "source material" Kennedy said they DON'T have actually went to great lengths to explain how Palpatine returned, using previously established lore. It's all bullshit, and I'd rather get involved in genuine EU fan groups than spend time here battling with people like Mecha82 and so on over what they've done. And no, it's not Fandom Menace. People like Jeremy can go straight to hell. Hell, there's even been talk in the circles I hang out in now of a genuine fan EU, if Lucasfilm or Del Rey won't continue Legends. I've even begun writing up a timeline for the Darth Ruin books I'd write for such a fan EU. Time will tell.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

McAvoy wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:58 am He gets beat by Rey who has absolutely no Force training. Yeah yeah she downloaded the training from him through their Vulcan mind meld in other sources outside the movie.
Did you happen to forge that when Rey beat him in TFA he was wounded by Chewie's Bowcaster and he didn't even want to kill Rey so he wasn't even fighting seriously. When Rey got angry and started attacking him he was surprised by that. I mean that was really cear to anyone to see but I guess you didn't pay attention.
Looks like you are not paying attention at all. Anyone who paid attention to that fight would have noticed... several strikes Ren had on Rey that if she didn't block or was a slightly slower would have killed her. That his strikes were not of someone holding back or testing her.

Compare that to Vader and Luke's fight in Empire and you can easily see Vader holding back. Testing him even. At least until the end when he wanted to end the fight.

But yeah be smug and an asshole about ME not paying attention...
I got nothing to say here.
thetrueelec
Officer

Post by thetrueelec »

Don't bring facts into this.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

thetrueelec wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:51 am
My bad. I assumed that McAvoy would care about facts but seems like that's not the case.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

He shot down the movie's idiotic facts with something that actually makes fucking sense. We pointed out the problem and how Rey beating Kylo just doesn't work and you ignore it.
thetrueelec
Officer

Post by thetrueelec »

You said Ren getting shot by a weapon that took out everyone else in one hit was a slight injury. That's not correcting facts, that's being wrong
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

Mecha82 wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:13 am
My bad. I assumed that McAvoy would care about facts but seems like that's not the case.
And you ignore the actual fight scene itself. Yeah he took a shot to the abdomen. Yeah he pounded his chest before the fight. And that's about it.

The entire fight he was swinging that lightsaber with the motive to kill. He wasn't holding back not until he locked the lightsabers and then Rey did her thing with the Force where she dominated the fight afterwards.

At no point you see that wound is hindering him. It's almost like it was forgotten.

But yeah act all high and mighty because you view the fight differently than alot of people.
I got nothing to say here.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

thetrueelec wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:03 am You said Ren getting shot by a weapon that took out everyone else in one hit was a slight injury. That's not correcting facts, that's being wrong
It does make Ren more impressive because he could take hit from Bowcaster and still keep going and even fight both Finn and Rey.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard