DIS: Light and Shadows

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

DIS: Light and Shadows

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

https://sfdebris.com/videos/startrek/c122.php
Power laces... alright.
Fianna
Captain

Re: DIS: Light and Shadows

Post by Fianna »

"The captain is the most expendable member of the crew"

Actually, I can kinda see the logic behind that. Most people on the ship are going to have a specialized role like doctor or engineer or navigation expert, etc. So if they die, there's a very limited number of people on board with the proper skillset to replace them.

But the captain's job, of telling everyone else what to do? Theoretically, anyone can step in and do that if necessary. Sure, not everyone's going to be as good at it, but I'd rather take direction from someone without leadership experience than have my anti-matter reactor repaired by someone without engineering experience.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

His frustration with Discovery becomes more plain with every review.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

There should be other pilots on board. Sometimes you need the ship in one place and a shuttle somewhere else, or so I'd think. And you have other shifts, and getting somebody out of bed a few hours early to keep the captain's butt out of that seat might be worth it.

But this is Starfleet -- if people are being eaten, the captain beams down with his first officer and chief medical officer to find out why.

On another front, I thought SF Debris would go with Wyld Stallyns. Marty McFly works, though. :)
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:42 pm

But this is Starfleet -- if people are being eaten, the captain beams down with his first officer and chief medical officer to find out why.

With their first officer, CMO, and Derek from turbolift operations who has just been seconded to security that very morning.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Why is this review marked as being on the 8th when it is the 7th? I realise it is probably the 8th somewhere in the world, but not in the US.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Taurian Patriot
Officer

Post by Taurian Patriot »

I can think of a good reason for retconning Spock as having "space dyslexia." It's a reminder that learning disabilities, like many others, can often be managed with a bit of innovation and additional effort, and that it's still possible for someone to achieve heights of excellence in spite of them. And if Spock had long since adapted to his, it would also make sense that it never comes up later in the Trek timeline, because there's almost no reason he'd bring up an issue that doesn't effect his work or the people he's with.

I'd assume this was the case if this was any series pre-Voyager. But this is Discovery, so I can only imagine the writers came up with it because A). they needed to cross off another item on a list somewhere, or B.) they needed a lame justification for the "mystery" of the numbers Spock was writing.

I can't decide which is more offensive.

Also, Chuck, "Nameless" could refer to half the bridge crew. You may need to be more specific. I'm sure this particular nameless person has some superficial trait that passes as characterization, since that seems to be how this show rolls.
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Taurian Patriot wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:38 pm I can think of a good reason for retconning Spock as having "space dyslexia." It's a reminder that learning disabilities, like many others, can often be managed with a bit of innovation and additional effort, and that it's still possible for someone to achieve heights of excellence in spite of them. And if Spock had long since adapted to his, it would also make sense that it never comes up later in the Trek timeline, because there's almost no reason he'd bring up an issue that doesn't effect his work or the people he's with.

I'd assume this was the case if this was any series pre-Voyager. But this is Discovery, so I can only imagine the writers came up with it because A). they needed to cross off another item on a list somewhere, or B.) they needed a lame justification for the "mystery" of the numbers Spock was writing.

I can't decide which is more offensive.

Also, Chuck, "Nameless" could refer to half the bridge crew. You may need to be more specific. I'm sure this particular nameless person has some superficial trait that passes as characterization, since that seems to be how this show rolls.
There is managing, then there is ''Spock in Star Trek 4 being able to take three massively difficult tests simultaneously without a single mistake''. I just don't buy it.

And what really sticks in my craw is that Star Trek 11 showed us Prime Spock at school and he was on par with a Mensa member even then. If that is Spock under the effects of a learning disability then Spock without it must have an IQ rating that you can confuse for pi.
We used to argue whether Star Trek or Star Wars was better. Now we argue which one is worse.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

My head canon is that Micheal is a creation of Q to mess with the pass of Star Trek because he bored.
Sir Will
Officer

Post by Sir Will »

clearspira wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:23 pm Why is this review marked as being on the 8th when it is the 7th? I realise it is probably the 8th somewhere in the world, but not in the US.
Yeah, all his dates seem to be off by a day. I guess he started with the 8th mistake and it just went from there.