Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Deledrius
Captain

Re: Star Trek Picard and Trek Taking on Modern Politics

Post by Deledrius »

Al-1701 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:34 pm Machiavellian settings seem to be in vogue for all genres of drama this past decade.
Unfortunately, it's Pakled-level Machiavellian: just convincing enough to be dangerous if you aren't paying attention, but won't stand up to even basic scrutiny.

Most people aren't up to writing that kind of thing well. This trend needs to go back to being "when it's appropriate", instead of being applied to every show.
Worffan101 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:07 pm Also, there's *two* minor characters that the show has brutally killed off now for basically no reason, they tortured and killed Icheb ON-SCREEN solely to give Seven something to cry over (a storytelling device that I DESPISE, if you're going to torture an established character you had BETTER make the torture and recovery from it part of that character's ongoing story, that's just basic respect for your characters), and they murdered Hugh to provide an excuse for Seven to return to the story after they put her on a bus, which is flatly bullshit and a waste of a perfectly good character.
There was no part of what we see here that required his death. It was a cheap death for the sake of upping the bodycount and pulling on an emotional beat with the audience. I was dreading his appearance because the show had already said this was how it was going to operate, and I was almost relieved when we were leaving him behind the previous week alive... only to have Elnor stay behind with him, ensuring new opportunities for death, and that was the death-sentence. It's completely illogical, and didn't follow from anything we'd seen (and thus far serves no purpose in the plot). It's there because they know the audience is invested in the character, and making people feel something regardless of context is a good way to pretend the episode had emotional weight.

Some people really need to learn that a character left alive has story potential, while a dead one is just killing a thousand future plot threads. You'd better make sure it's important and make it count when you do kill someone.

In that scene, I wasn't sad about his passing. I wasn't angry at Narek's sister, who at this point is more of a plot-device stereotype than a Sailor Moon villainess or ATLA's Azula. I was angry at the writers. I was angry at them for planting an existing, interesting character with emotional weight into their story for no purpose other than to benefit from someone else's character-building in the reunion, and then kill him off and pat themselves on the back for the "payoff" they orchestrated through a contrived sequence of events that serve no other purpose in the story except to remove him from it.

This sort of thing immediately destroys all suspension of disbelief and I'm seeing the show as television and not a place with living, breathing people. Somehow, this show constantly does this, and that's probably the single biggest thing preventing me from being able to even enjoy it on its own terms; it's too often bringing attention to the performer holding the strings, and all I can see now are puppets.
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

Well, we've been given the reason for Hugh's passing. It's so Punisher of Nine can come back and be the one to interface with the ship. Also, it looked like Narek's sister was going to get the Reefa treatment from the remaining Ex-B's only for her to be beamed away.

And, really, Seven worked better for the scene in the Queen cell. Hugh's anger would have driven him to create the mini-collective without a second thought. Seven is thinking more clearly, and understood what would she was doing to the drones in stasis.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

So irresponsible.
..What mirror universe?
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

They killed off Hugh as well as Maddox. Hate to say it, but it really seems like more of the trappings of the modern failure in sci-fi - at least to my eye. Others have noted it as the pattern of being grimdark due to Game of Thrones and Battlestar Galactica, and doesn't help the world atmosphere has gotten darker too. Kill off loads of main characters, and change them, focus on action and spectacle over substance, or execute a neutral or potentially good concept poorly. At least to my amateur's eye.

Sigh... I don't get why they're bringing back the Borg? The Borg were overused before Watergate, and logically the Dominion would make more sense, find out what they've been up to in 20 years. Especially with the wormhole between quadrants. Everything I see from this series gives me a so-so reaction. I feel mixed, which is how I think others feel too.
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

TGLS wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:35 pm
TGLS wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:34 am Image
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Yukaphile
Overlord

Post by Yukaphile »

Oh shut up. :roll:
"A culture's teachings - and more importantly, the nature of its people - achieve definition in conflict. They find themselves, or find themselves lacking."
— Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Al-1701
Officer

Post by Al-1701 »

They brought back the Borg because this is a Picard story with a healthy dose of Seven of Nine. The cube itself is also apparently going to be used by Seven and Elnor.

And, hey, they're making the Borg threatening again. Even a dead cube has a sense of menace to it.
Enterprising
Officer

Post by Enterprising »

Al-1701 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:36 pm They brought back the Borg because this is a Picard story with a healthy dose of Seven of Nine. The cube itself is also apparently going to be used by Seven and Elnor.

And, hey, they're making the Borg threatening again. Even a dead cube has a sense of menace to it.
No, they brought back the Borg because "casuals viewers" know who they are, which also (in theory) makes "marketing" easier.
Deledrius
Captain

Post by Deledrius »

Enterprising wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:30 pm
Al-1701 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:36 pm They brought back the Borg because this is a Picard story with a healthy dose of Seven of Nine. The cube itself is also apparently going to be used by Seven and Elnor.

No, they brought back the Borg because "casuals viewers" know who they are, which also (in theory) makes "marketing" easier.
They were probably on the "must include" list from the network mandate for that reason, but I'm still worried they're deeply connected to the backstory of this conspiracy, too. Time will tell.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Considering how much connected Borg are to those two characters not including them wouldn't had made much sense no matter how some people (haters) complain that it's all about marketing.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard