Kannazuki no Miko 12

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Arkle
Officer

Re: Kannazuki no Miko 12

Post by Arkle »

Boy, if it weren't for Madoka Magica (and to a lesser extent Full Moon and Mahoromatic) Chuck would probably end up one of those people thinking all Anime is terrible. Still, whoever keeps foisting this crap on him needs to stop. How about some underrated gems like Read or Die?
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
SuccubusYuri
Officer

Post by SuccubusYuri »

Well there is good stuff coming down the line...I know someone said they put the Nanoha movie in the queue way back when.

As for Inuyasha, I mean, once you get to the end of the Incarnations arc, (aka, the interesting part) Chuck only has to do a one-off video of the rinse-repeat chasing arcs and skip to Final Act....so not nearly as heavy as it looks xD
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Uh, I hate the Nanoha movie, especially as one's first impression. It's expansion of the fight scene is cool, but that villain isn't I wanted made more sympathetic, the appeal of watching Nanoha season one was largely just how much you love to hate Fate's Mother.
Call me KuudereKun
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

Edvarius wrote:
jstrahan wrote:
MithrandirOlorin wrote: I'd be nice to see Chuck Review something LGBTs pretty unambiguously like, but Utena is 30 episodes.
What's the problem? He's doing Inuyasha and that's over 200 episodes. :D
*spittake*

He's what?!

Please tell me you didn't force him to watch every single episode. Please tell me he can dump a whole lotta episodes into one video and not have to do an individual review for each one.
Yeah, like two hundred in one video. This Chuck Does Whole Runs is seriously crap if you can't stand the shows. With all the other shows he reviews, with the obvious exception of Trek as the core show, he dips in and out and that is great because if you don't like it then there is a huge variety of other stuff that our Lord and Chuckster is doing too and there is always something new coming down the pike (why a pike, incidentally, you never hear of something new coming down the trout or the pilchard; why is it always something new coming down a pike?) but with whole runs of animes, especially long animes (like KNM or Happy Fun Cancer Girl) it just drags on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and I still don't understand why a pike? :) Don't get me wrong, it is Chuck's show and he gets to choose what to do and he does it for very little money and always puts out a quality project, for which I am very grateful, just there is a limited amount of ways that he can describe anime and still make it sound fun. It'd be nice to know he has more than that coming down the halibut.
King of the owls wrote:I guess some people just want to see Chuck lose his mind over anime.
Surely seeing Chuck lose his mind is what reviews of Enterprise are for?
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

SuccubusYuri wrote:Well there is good stuff coming down the line...I know someone said they put the Nanoha movie in the queue way back when.
Tenchi Muyo's also on the way at some point. That's relatively traditional.
King of the owls
Officer

Post by King of the owls »

Independent George wrote: While Chuck is usually quite entertaining when he rants about something, this stopped interesting me somewhere around episode three. After a while, it just becomes tiresome - and I don't mean that as a criticism of Chuck; if anything, I credit his professionalism for finishing out the series as requested.
Yeah I do agree with you there. Sometimes it does get tiresome.(And I'm sure Chuck feels frustrated by this as well.)

CrypticMirror wrote: Surely seeing Chuck lose his mind is what reviews of Enterprise are for?

I mean you're not wrong.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

As much as I like seeing Chuck introduced to anime, and introducing others to it... I gotta ask... why the hell this one? It's awful by any objective sense? I don't think Otaku even like it? Even nas an "Anime Is Weird and Depraved" sort of thing there are far far better options.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

SabreMau wrote:
SuccubusYuri wrote:Well there is good stuff coming down the line...I know someone said they put the Nanoha movie in the queue way back when.
Tenchi Muyo, especially the Tenchi Muyo OVA's is pretty near perfect for Chuck to review. It's six episodes, so it doesn't get old. Each has a different tone. It's sort of Space Opera. And it has all kinds of whacky anime cliches for him to make fun of, without the really twisted lesbian incest rape stuff.
griffeytrek
Officer

Post by griffeytrek »

Omnicrom wrote:
fundefined wrote:Oh god, he's doing Inuyasha? Fucking why? At best, Inuyasha is interesting for its impact on other anime and manga and its take on Japanese mythology. Chuck is exactly the wrong kind of reviewer for it.
Seconding this to a certain degree.

Inuyasha is not a series that lends itself well to individual episode reviews because there's so much of it and so much of it really isn't that important. There are quite a lot of episode where basically nothing happens, and even more where the stuff that matters is two minutes out of twenty-four. The stuff that's really worthy of discussion is stretched pretty thin through the original run, and then ultra condensed in The Final Act because we have 300 chapters to get through in 26 episodes and pacing is for the weak.

Basically Inuyasha is not a show that lends itself to making individual videos for ever episode, or even videos for every three or four episodes. I mean, you could do it, but at the end of the day you'd put out more content on Inuyasha than there actually was content.

As for the series itself I always treated it like Junk food. It had problems, real serious, obvious, bone-headed problems, but mostly I watched it because nearly every episode had some amount of acceptably dumb fun. Inuyasha is a show with a number of very bad characters, a complete wash on its setting, and a lot of aspects that were profoundly unexplored, but it rarely failed to entertain.

If anyone is interested in a series that's roughly "Inuyasha but good" go track down the manga Sengoku Youko which is a hilariously superior series. That comic is legitimately great and deserves more attention.
What makes this worse is Inu Yasha is entirely the wrong Rumiko Takahashi show for Chuck to review. Heck for Chuck to watch. Short bits of Ranma 1/2 or Ursuei Yatsura (Lum for we American types) would be perfect. While sadly I don't believe they have been translated to English the Mermaid stories would be fascinating to see him explore. They go much deeper and darker into those eastern mythology and horror themes than Inu Yasha ever does and they do it artfully.
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

griffeytrek wrote:
SabreMau wrote:
Tenchi Muyo, especially the Tenchi Muyo OVA's is pretty near perfect for Chuck to review. It's six episodes, so it doesn't get old. Each has a different tone. It's sort of Space Opera. And it has all kinds of whacky anime cliches for him to make fun of, without the really twisted lesbian incest rape stuff.
It's also from 1992, where a lot of anime cliches weren't yet cliche, such as bunnycat.