Does Q represent anything?

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Does Q represent anything?

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

In terms of allegory or theme, what is the purpose of Q. American imperialism? Think about it. His personality is the personification of the typical annoying American tourist in another country. He is all about the force of arrogant will and manifestation.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: Does Q represent anything?

Post by Captain Crimson »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:56 pm In terms of allegory or theme, what is the purpose of Q. American imperialism? Think about it. His personality is the personification of the typical annoying American tourist in another country. He is all about the force of arrogant will and manifestation.
This:

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:40 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:56 pm In terms of allegory or theme, what is the purpose of Q. American imperialism? Think about it. His personality is the personification of the typical annoying American tourist in another country. He is all about the force of arrogant will and manifestation.
This:

https://youtu.be/iLUOZOVpJLA?list=TLPQMDkwNDIwMjDB5sUH5x-Waw&t=33
..What mirror universe?
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

Or humanity's narcissism quite literally empowering their actions.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
Zargon
Officer

Post by Zargon »

I don't think Q represented anything, other then exactly what he is: a fantasy wizard to break up the set reality of the show in-universe.

When Q shows up....anything can happen and you will NOT have a normal episode. That is the whole point of the character. It's a common enough writing trope...and it was used on Star Trek TOS a lot too.
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Q represents the an aspect of the show scrapped early in production. Originally the producers thought the target audience for the show was children (based on who was watching reruns). So they created Q to emulate Sesame Street. "This episode of Star Trek is brought to you by the letter Q"
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

TGLS wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:26 pm Q represents the an aspect of the show scrapped early in production. Originally the producers thought the target audience for the show was children (based on who was watching reruns). So they created Q to emulate Sesame Street. "This episode of Star Trek is brought to you by the letter Q"
So maybe more like European colonialism than American? He is putting a frenchman from England on trial.
..What mirror universe?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

He is a stand in for the random an capricious whims of fate that completely dash any and all meaningless attempts by writers... humans to present a coherent and grounded narrative.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

In terms of theme, Q is a tool allowing the characters to advocate Roddenberry's particular brand of humanistic utopia. A godlike alien puts humanity on trial, and they pass with flying colors.

As far as allegory, I don't really think so. He fits pretty neatly into the long line of superpowered aliens going back to early TOS.

After season one, he was just a normal character who was popular enough to bring back once a year.
The owls are not what they seem.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Q is God. He said so. :mrgreen: