The term "Mary Sue" needs to die.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Re: The term "Mary Sue" needs to die.

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

If a movie is made with people Sexually attracted to Cars as the Target audience, and those people like that movie, that movie was a success, Period.
Call me KuudereKun
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:If a movie is made with people Sexually attracted to Cars as the Target audience, and those people like that movie, that movie was a success, Period.
YOU THINK PEOPLE WHO WANTED A FEMALE PROTAGONIST AND FEMINISM WAS THE SW TARGET AUDIENCE?
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

Agent Vinod wrote:
MithrandirOlorin wrote:If a movie is made with people Sexually attracted to Cars as the Target audience, and those people like that movie, that movie was a success, Period.
YOU THINK PEOPLE WHO WANTED A FEMALE PROTAGONIST AND FEMINISM WAS THE SW TARGET AUDIENCE?
Well, they could have satisfied the sane feminist audience and the regular SW audience by making her strength consistent with the rest of the films. Female protagonists are not unusual in SW , there's Ahsoka Tano, Mara Jade, Nomi Sunrider, Jaina Solo, Kerra Holt, Ania Solo, etc.
So the idea that either they had to make Rey a Mary Sue because "feminism" or that serious SW fans are criticising her just because she's a female protagonist is pretty disingenuous.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

One problem with people complaining about Rey is they are comparing her only to character in the Luke Skywalker role. In fact she more directly parallels Obi-Won in Episode I, who also one a fight he should not have won.
Call me KuudereKun
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:One problem with people complaining about Rey is they are comparing her only to character in the Luke Skywalker role. In fact she more directly parallels Obi-Won in Episode I, who also one a fight he should not have won.
No, Obi-Wan had been trained since infancy. She learned she was Force sensitive around lunch time. She directly more parallels Luke and Anakin who both only used the Force in small ways in their first film and both lost their first lightsabre duel at the end of their second film.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

How much her training compared to OBi-Won's is irrelevant to my point. Obi-Won should not have been able to beat Maul, Period, you can't call one of those outcomes absurd and not the other.

I watch Star Wars for absurdity, if it's not absurd it's not Star Wars. The day they make a SW film you can't nitpick is the day Star Wars dies.
Call me KuudereKun
Karha of Honor
Captain

Post by Karha of Honor »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:How much her training compared to OBi-Won's is irrelevant to my point. Obi-Won should not have been able to beat Maul, Period, you can't call one of those outcomes absurd and not the other.

I watch Star Wars for absurdity, if it's not absurd it's not Star Wars. The day they make a SW film you can't nitpick is the day Star Wars dies.
Why should not had he been able too? If i pit 2 elite NBA players against each other in one on one they tire each other out. I wave of one of them and put an elite hs players there is a good chance that hs player could beat the tired NBA player.

What TFA did was pit someone who never played bball before against an NBA player.

So you want Wiseau to show up?
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Obi-Warn perfromaned an impossible Jump to beat someone who easily killed his master.

And in A New Hope Han Solo defeated Darth Vader.
Call me KuudereKun
GandALF
Officer

Post by GandALF »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:Obi-Warn perfromaned an impossible Jump to beat someone who easily killed his master.

And in A New Hope Han Solo defeated Darth Vader.
Obi-Wan performed a Force jump, Luke also did one in ESB in the carbon freezing chamber.

Jango Fett is also able to shake off Obi-Wan in II and Plo Koon is taken out by an ARC-170 in III. So starfighter combat evens the odds quite a bit, unlike lightsabre duels.

Still consistent unlike TFA.
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote:Like I said, her story isn't finished, so I'm not even putting Rey into the definite "Mary Sue" category yet. She definitely has those tendencies in the first film, though.
She;s not a Mary Sue beucase she's not a fan fiction character. She's canon.

The End.
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---