The term "Mary Sue" needs to die.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Re: The term "Mary Sue" needs to die.

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Arkle wrote:
ChiggyvonRichthofen wrote:Like I said, her story isn't finished, so I'm not even putting Rey into the definite "Mary Sue" category yet. She definitely has those tendencies in the first film, though.
She;s not a Mary Sue beucase she's not a fan fiction character. She's canon.

The End.
The way people actually use the term Mary Sue has expanded well beyond fan fiction. As I indicated, it's used as an imprecise catch-all term at this point. I would try to be more scrupulous and exact in describing my problems with the character, but calling her a Mary Sue is understandable imo.

Rey isn't a case of author insertion or wish fulfillment, but it does seem like the writers went to great pains to artificially manufacture a super-duper awesome female character. The motivation for making Rey this way might be different, but the end result in TFA is the same as a wish fulfillment character. But again, that could change with the next film.
The owls are not what they seem.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Every character is a Wish Fulfillment character, that is not Mary Sue means.
Call me KuudereKun
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

I seriously doubt most villains and villain protagonists are meant to be wish fulfillment.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

TGLS wrote:I seriously doubt most villains and villain protagonists are meant to be wish fulfillment.
Are you really sure about that? I could come up with a lot of examples, especially in the horror genre.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

If they are not character you Wish to be, they are characters you Wish to see things happen to.
Call me KuudereKun
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:Every character is a Wish Fulfillment character, that is not Mary Sue means.
That might be true if you're using the term wish fulfillment in a trivial way, but again, that's beside the point I'm trying to make here. My point is that most people are trying to pin down sloppy writing when they use the term Mary Sue. Wish fulfillment, authorial insertion, characters that are just too perfect at everything, whatever term/concept you want to associate with a Mary Sue, those things aren't necessarily even bad, but they often are associated with low level writing.

Here's a contrast-

Konstantin Levin from Anna Karenina and Pierre Bezukhov from War and Peace are both based on Tolstoy himself to some degree. Yet they both work beautifully as characters in two of the greatest novels ever written. If you wanted to call it "authorial insertion", well, it worked out pretty well.

Ariadne Oliver is a character in about a half-dozen Agatha Christie novels, mostly in her later Poirot novels. The character is clearly Christie's avatar and voiced a lot of her frustrations with writing detective fiction, being a celebrity, and in having to deal with Poirot himself as a fictional detective. A small appearance or two, a Hitchcockian cameo, that would have been fine, but I found the character and her level of involvement in those stories to be way too self-indulgent and a sign that Christie could publish whatever she wanted rather than putting effort into crafting really tight mysteries like her early to mid work.

With Rey, her being so great at piloting and defeating Sith with next to no experience or training doesn't jive with her backstory, Star Wars lore, or make a lot of dramatic sense. I feel like there's an element of pandering with her character. She was great at everything not because it made sense for the story, but because they wanted to make a popular character who could succeed the old trio.
The owls are not what they seem.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Let me ask this, as someone who stopped seeing Star Wars right after "Noooooooooooooooo!"
What are Rey's flaws?

Solo is cocky and self-absorbed. Luke is inexperienced and naïve. Leia is short-tempered and rather less than charitable to the people saving her life. They're all brave, capable, and often rather lucky. Obi-Wan was only retroactively flawed (from a certain point of view), but he was also a supporting character.

As an aside, I don't think being a Sue is necessarily a bad thing. I could call Superman a Mary Sue; it kind of goes with being the Epitome of Being Really Super hat. He's super-powerful, super-noble, and super-nice. The closest thing he has to a flaw seems to be realizing that he can't save everybody. I imagine he super-flosses. I still enjoy the character, but I can see why some could see him as super-boring.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

ChiggyvonRichthofen, I contest your assertion that Rey's piloting skills don't make sense in the narrative. She plays simulators in her free time, she's gotten to intimately know space ships and their parts from her salvage work. As for her force work, I'll give you the lightsaber skill lack, but I don't think she would have been nearly as force competent if Darth Temper Tantrum hadn't exposed his knowledge of the force to her in a sloppy attempt at interrogative mind meld.

Darth Wedgius, Rey's flaw is that she's still waiting for her family to come back. She spent most of her life barely eeking out an existence on a miserable desert planet, living in the hull of a crashed star destroyer, all because she couldn't accept the fact that her unnamed/unspecified parents were never coming back. She doesn't really know how to let go or move on, and that is a flaw that can be very dangerous for force users.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Agent Vinod wrote: YOU THINK PEOPLE WHO WANTED A FEMALE PROTAGONIST AND FEMINISM WAS THE SW TARGET AUDIENCE?
I didn't mind having a female protagonist, and if feminism played any real part in this, it was the insistence that Rey not need to be rescued by anyone, lest she be considered a "damsel" by them, even though Luke needed to be rescued plenty of times. I didn't hate Rey or anything, I just thought things like this made her a little too perfect and had the effect of sucking out any real sense of drama from the scenes she was in.
MithrandirOlorin wrote:If a movie is made with people Sexually attracted to Cars as the Target audience, and those people like that movie, that movie was a success, Period.
This sounds very much like the argument someone made against Chuck in the old intro video that originally accompanied the "Threshold" review.
Arkle wrote: She;s not a Mary Sue beucase she's not a fan fiction character. She's canon.

The End.
That isn't the defining factor of a Mary Sue, and frankly it's absurd that you or anyone else would make that kind of an argument, particularly in light of all the other male examples people have given (Wesley Crusher, anyone?). It might be associated with fan fiction, simply because most amateur writers have a tendency to write characters this way, but the trope is not limited to fan-fic. It's generally considered a mark of amateur writing and is why examples of it in professional media tend to be mocked, which Rey is not immune from.

Honestly stuff like this "get rid of the term Mary Sue" business just comes off as fanboys throwing temper tantrums because someone dare criticize something they like.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

MithrandirOlorin wrote:If a movie is made with people Sexually attracted to Cars as the Target audience, and those people like that movie, that movie was a success, Period.
As well as providing a new definition for "autoerotic."