B5: Confessions and Lamentations

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: B5: Confessions and Lamentations

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

G-Man wrote:
ScreamingDoom wrote:Contrast this with a disease. A disease isn't going to care about the "morality" of a host it infects; at most, there might be a correlation between certain behaviors and infection rates.
To be fair, that can be a pretty strong correlation between morality and disease. I don't think anyone who today argues that STDs are a judgment for immorality are arguing that the diseases mystically appear in "immoral" people. They are not unaware of how the disease spreads.
SuccubusYuri wrote:
ScreamingDoom wrote:
The point is that there simply isn't a known mechanism where morality would affect disease infection rates, while the other things you cite as examples are not nearly as manifest.
I think you're analyzing the trees a little hard there. I believe the general point was that, we always put our pearl clutching in the blender with science.
I think the general counter-point was that the situation was so obvious that the stupidity was unbelievable. Health care, gun control, global warming are complex social/climactic issues with several variables, and various policies have various pluses and minuses (I'm leaving out the "restricting women's bodies" because the central disagreements about abortion/birth control are about their morality rather than about the empirical facts surrounding them). That you can see a disease spreading and just ignore that it is happening is at a completely other level. It would be like saying that no one ever gets shot or hurricanes do not exist. The issues RobbyB1982 brings up are more like arguing over whether or not a quarantine policy would be helpful or just cause panic and stop people from seeking treatment.
SuccubusYuri wrote:And while the episode isn't a 1-for-1 AIDS allegory, that was DEFINITELY an epidemic that was ignored for years because it was an "immoral disease".
Well, it was not talked about in polite company, but research was done to figure out how to treat it, steps were taken to contain its spread, and to the extent that people were ignorant about it, it was often more in the direction of overestimating the risks of contagion.

The Markab essentially act like their society has not yet come up with the germ theory of disease.
Research and steps to stop it were taken...by rebels against authority.

Do you know how many people died before the CDC would even acknowledge such a disease exists, much less give information about how to stop its spread?

The president chose to suppress any research or treatment of the disease. It was a Gay Plague. The figures on power decided to let the gays die en mass.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

NECRO BUMP. Who else is watching this in April, 2020? Or the episode itself?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I rewatched it in March. It is...depressingly relevant, even if it's not too 1 for 1 on the current virus.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Yet another way B5 was timeless.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

People trying to avoid an airborne virus by gathering in large groups in prayer to prove their piety. Racist violence directed at people associated with the origin of the disease. "Hey I hear this was really caused by the Vorlons/5G/the Jews"
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

Im just more shocked that people haven't learned a bloody thing at all, these things just keep happening. Im siding with the markab doctor on this one analysis the problem find the course of action that makes the least amount of sense and do it
Captain Crimson
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:05 pm People trying to avoid an airborne virus by gathering in large groups in prayer to prove their piety. Racist violence directed at people associated with the origin of the disease. "Hey I hear this was really caused by the Vorlons/5G/the Jews"
I have not been disparaging to the Chinese people about this at all. I don't condemn anything they want to eat, since disease comes from all animals. This virus knows no prejudice, unlike us. As to the Chinese government, now that's another story. I do hope they investigate them, as some say they are.
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

Captain Crimson wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:23 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:05 pm People trying to avoid an airborne virus by gathering in large groups in prayer to prove their piety. Racist violence directed at people associated with the origin of the disease. "Hey I hear this was really caused by the Vorlons/5G/the Jews"
I have not been disparaging to the Chinese people about this at all. I don't condemn anything they want to eat, since disease comes from all animals. This virus knows no prejudice, unlike us. As to the Chinese government, now that's another story. I do hope they investigate them, as some say they are.
problem is they will just blame some disposable low level members and continue oppressing the people there, the true is that china is not going to change as things are the best thing to get companies to leave china and deprive them of foreign investment, other 3rd world countries are better options then china anyway, and while trumps an idiot, i would put harsher restrictions on china and cut off any investment of china in the us and not allow any china made parts in government computers or hardware-they have built hardware based back doors in stuff they have sold. China is a hostile country thats pretending to be peaceful, we should treat them as such. I would also restrict travel to china after all this as its a health issue.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

I have not been disparaging to the Chinese people about this at all.
Good for you then, but I wasn't actually asking you.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:20 am
I have not been disparaging to the Chinese people about this at all.
Good for you then, but I wasn't actually asking you.
Then it seems I have gone off topic. Again. :oops: