Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Re: Areas where you'd respectfully disagree with Chuck

Post by Dragon Ball Fan »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:20 am After Waltz it is even easier to say he wasn't evil. He was already having a mental health episode by the start of Waltz, Sisko goaded him into a full on psychotic break. From a psychiatric point of view, that makes him more innocent after that. He's ill, and expressing multiple symptoms. You should be nicer to Dukat after Waltz.
that isn't what the writers of the episode think and they make it clear with dialogue like when Sisko said there is true evil in the world ow when he ironically told Dukat he isn't an evil man.
CrypticMirror
Captain

Post by CrypticMirror »

They gave Sisko an opinion. Doesn't mean it was a correct one, just an in character one. Remember, what the writer intends doesn't matter. Intent is not magical.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

CrypticMirror wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:36 pm They gave Sisko an opinion. Doesn't mean it was a correct one, just an in character one. Remember, what the writer intends doesn't matter. Intent is not magical.
What a writer intends is inconsequential, but does matter so to speak.
..What mirror universe?
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Do we need to go back to good intentions vs what is actually done and/or you get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGDkHYe22Q
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Dragon Ball Fan wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:58 am
TGLS wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:09 pm Locarno fell on his sword to protect other people after being found out. Paris confessed after after getting away with it.
Robert Duncan McNeil himself seems to be in the "Locarno is irredeemable" crowd, basically saying Paris is a good person with an asshole facade wile Locarno is an asshole with a good person facade.
I'm not sure if I believe in the idea of someone being irredeemable. I do believe however in cheap tv producers.
FaxModem1
Captain

Post by FaxModem1 »

Robovski wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:18 am Do we need to go back to good intentions vs what is actually done and/or you get?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGDkHYe22Q
I think the key thing with good intentions is if what they were doing was a good act that failed, or a wrong act that backfired?

Per your example, the people of Springfield trying to rebuild Ned's house and failing is a good act that failed. Should they be praised? No, but they're not villains for trying. If Ned's kids had died in the house's collapse, would that be considered evil, or just tragic incompetence?

Whereas someone who starts committing evil acts to accomplish 'good goals' runs into issues. The torture of innocent people to find a bomb in time, as you would see on 24. Jack Bauer is most definitely a villain portrayed as doing the 'necessary thing' for his country, same as Dukat, only with the framing giving Jack Bauer more of the benefit of the doubt over what Dukat did when having power over others, and is the protagonist. Imagine if he was doing this to someone who wasn't a terrorist, but was a bearded fellow who delivered packages without a passport:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp19qiash2U
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Morrighan is the worst romance option in Dragon Age Origins.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

similar to Dukat, I still have things to say about my differing views on Winn Adomi from DS9. the nine part finale makes her reasons for her behavior clear and a bit sympathetic but Chuck dismisses her as a psychopath with absolutely no redeeming qualities wile Adolf Dukat is so layered and sympathetic.
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

Winn is hot garbage.
Dragon Ball Fan
Captain

Robovski wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:04 am Winn is hot garbage.
but again, Dukat is SOOOO complex and sympathetic.