Star Trek Beyond

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
MrL1992
Officer

Re: Star Trek Beyond

Post by MrL1992 »

Can we go one ST or SW related discussion without without fandom civil wars becoming the topic of focus?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

MrL1992 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:53 am Can we go one ST or SW related discussion without without fandom civil wars becoming the topic of focus?
Fandom is passionate and SF is kind of in a low point. Plus they are the two biggest name brands. Though I'll desist if it bothers you so much.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

MrL1992 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:53 am Can we go one ST or SW related discussion without without fandom civil wars becoming the topic of focus?
That would be nice yes but considering toxicity in fandoms we won't have that luxury on internet.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
MrL1992
Officer

Post by MrL1992 »

I know, I know. Guess it eas more rhetorical but one does get tired of it all.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:37 am
cdrood wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:29 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:44 pm Those man-babies tend to make any actual criticism from those that have those drown under they rage and harassment of people involved. Harassing people involved is never right and is both inmature and petty. If you want your voice to be heard and taken seriously don't be a-hole.
:lol: That is indeed quite ironic and true the literal loud voices of man-babies make it harder for them to face any genuine criticism, but that's kind of inevitable to a wide-ranging cultural event, and I think it's a function of going online too. My point in the end was still that they have gigantic egos that rarely get addressed. Which pleases me on the rare chance they admit to it. Like Mr. Abrams admitting he could see why people might not like TROS. I just wish he could be honest to where they got the idea for it, since we can ALL see it, but he might not have known. Maybe Ms. Kennedy, Mr. Filoni, or someone else told him. I don't know.
Something similar bugged me about Into Darkness. There was a Star Trek novel call Dreadnaught which was about a xenophobic Starfleet admiral who secretly had a huge warship built with the idea of turning the Federation into a military dictatorship. He not so subtly named the ship Star Empire. It really felt the plot was lifted from that novel without crediting the author.
I mean, you got accusations over in the SW fandom that LF has been pilfering fanfiction for ideas, and while they treat the old EU that way, and lift ideas from it haphazardly, at the end of the day, there is little hard evidence for it. Though it wouldn't surprise me at the rate Hollyweird is running out of ideas in the face of tighter deadlines and rising costs. You have to make that money back. And that boxes you into a corner. Art can't flourish that way. But as of this moment, we can't say. Maybe the clown show has reached such a level of predictable it is on par with fanfiction. That'd be funny, in a sad way.
LF?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Lucas Films.
drewder
Officer

Post by drewder »

Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:37 am
cdrood wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:29 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:56 pm
Mecha82 wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:44 pm Those man-babies tend to make any actual criticism from those that have those drown under they rage and harassment of people involved. Harassing people involved is never right and is both inmature and petty. If you want your voice to be heard and taken seriously don't be a-hole.
:lol: That is indeed quite ironic and true the literal loud voices of man-babies make it harder for them to face any genuine criticism, but that's kind of inevitable to a wide-ranging cultural event, and I think it's a function of going online too. My point in the end was still that they have gigantic egos that rarely get addressed. Which pleases me on the rare chance they admit to it. Like Mr. Abrams admitting he could see why people might not like TROS. I just wish he could be honest to where they got the idea for it, since we can ALL see it, but he might not have known. Maybe Ms. Kennedy, Mr. Filoni, or someone else told him. I don't know.
Something similar bugged me about Into Darkness. There was a Star Trek novel call Dreadnaught which was about a xenophobic Starfleet admiral who secretly had a huge warship built with the idea of turning the Federation into a military dictatorship. He not so subtly named the ship Star Empire. It really felt the plot was lifted from that novel without crediting the author.
I mean, you got accusations over in the SW fandom that LF has been pilfering fanfiction for ideas, and while they treat the old EU that way, and lift ideas from it haphazardly, at the end of the day, there is little hard evidence for it. Though it wouldn't surprise me at the rate Hollyweird is running out of ideas in the face of tighter deadlines and rising costs. You have to make that money back. And that boxes you into a corner. Art can't flourish that way. But as of this moment, we can't say. Maybe the clown show has reached such a level of predictable it is on par with fanfiction. That'd be funny, in a sad way.
Using ideas without crediting the original author? Tom Paris would be shocked.
Fianna
Captain

Post by Fianna »

Given the sheer amount of both fanfiction and expanded universe content for Star Wars, it'd probably be pretty difficult to write a decent Star Wars story of any length that doesn't tread ground already trod by a bunch of other stories.
tacomoney
Redshirt

Post by tacomoney »

I did like Beyond for the most part, although i do agree that making Sulu gay just because of George Takei was a poorly thought out choice.

Personally if I was in charge and decided to make one of the cast homosexual/bisexual in the Kelvin Timeline I would have chosen Chekov.

Now hear me out, Star Trek since its inception has been in theory about pushing social messages about how the future where people are respected for their color of skin, country of origin or gender......or its a world where everyone is nudist and all the woman have numerous breasts.
You take the good with the weird with Gene's vision.

So with that crazy diversion in mind, with today in the Russian climate there is a strong anti Gay culture and that people of non Heterosexual orientation are stigmatized and in some cases put in jail.

To show that in the future a proud son of Russia is openly gay, happy and has found himself on the flagship of the Federation at such a young age would show a good message that someday Gay People in Russia will be accepted.

The only problem is that with the actors death people might see it as a case of Bury your Gays trope.
But in production that wouldn't have been the thought process.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

tacomoney wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:28 am So with that crazy diversion in mind, with today in the Russian climate there is a strong anti Gay culture and that people of non Heterosexual orientation are stigmatized and in some cases put in jail.

To show that in the future a proud son of Russia is openly gay, happy and has found himself on the flagship of the Federation at such a young age would show a good message that someday Gay People in Russia will be accepted.
That would had made lot of sense. Far more than making character gay just because actor who originally played him is gay if you ask me.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard