MST3K The Show - Seasons 1-10

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Re: MST3K The Show

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

I think one of the most showing signs that the people who made Laserblast didn't know what they were doing is the incompetence of the aliens (seriously, how do they keep forgetting to retrieve the weapon? Are they the alien equivalent of Dory from Finding Nemo?) and casting a legend like Roddy McDowall as a minor character who gets killed after like 2 minutes of screen time. Seriously, that's like if a Star Wars movie cast a comedy legend, only to have him stand around and do nothing. ...Oh wait.

And to add insult to injury, as Crow points out, they misspell his name in the end credits yet get it correct in the opening credits. How do you screw that up? Also, seeing Mandark from Dexter's Lab in real life is strange, he's really not that far off from the animated character.
Blaze Rocker
Redshirt

Post by Blaze Rocker »

Mike Nelson as Captain Janeway.

LMAO!!!

I really wish Chuck had showed that segment. That is gawddamn hilarious! I don't care how horrifying it is.
I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Speak for yourself, Chuck. I think Mike Nelson doesn't look half bad in Janeway Drag. ;)
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Robovski
Captain

Post by Robovski »

The clip you are looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZLcIpbOHIU
Blaze Rocker
Redshirt

Post by Blaze Rocker »

Robovski wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:25 am The clip you are looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZLcIpbOHIU
Ooooo, thanks. :)
I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.
Nightbeat74
Officer

Post by Nightbeat74 »

Blaze Rocker wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:57 am
Robovski wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:25 am The clip you are looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZLcIpbOHIU
Ooooo, thanks. :)
i think he wanted to save what little sanity he has left ;). cuz i think this is the first showing of insaneway :twisted:
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

Nightbeat74 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm i think he wanted to save what little sanity he has left ;). cuz i think this is the first showing of insaneway :twisted:
Oh come on, at no point does Mikeway say anything about eating Harry.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Eishtmo wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:33 pm
Nightbeat74 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm i think he wanted to save what little sanity he has left ;). cuz i think this is the first showing of insaneway :twisted:
Oh come on, at no point does Mikeway say anything about eating Harry.
But Mikeway must has been thinking it.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

ChrisTheLovableJerk wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:04 pm I think one of the most showing signs that the people who made Laserblast didn't know what they were doing is the incompetence of the aliens (seriously, how do they keep forgetting to retrieve the weapon?
The Plot Requires It.

Even good shows can fall prey to that structural logic.

I watched Where Eagles Dare a few months ago. The good guys take some revealed traitors captive and take them along with to the gondola as they make their escape. There is zero reason for them to do so and it would make perfect sense for them to kill them or leave them tied up if they didn't have the heart, but once they get to the gondola it becomes apparent why they kept them around: They needed a dramatic fight on the top of the gondola and that was the way for the movie to have it be a gritty and personal climactic struggle as their traitorous comrades are the ones Richard Burton fights to the death with.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Beastro wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:11 am
The Plot Requires It.

Even good shows can fall prey to that structural logic.

I watched Where Eagles Dare a few months ago. The good guys take some revealed traitors captive and take them along with to the gondola as they make their escape. There is zero reason for them to do so and it would make perfect sense for them to kill them or leave them tied up if they didn't have the heart, but once they get to the gondola it becomes apparent why they kept them around: They needed a dramatic fight on the top of the gondola and that was the way for the movie to have it be a gritty and personal climactic struggle as their traitorous comrades are the ones Richard Burton fights to the death with.
I could get the aliens forgetting it once...but at the end? The entire reason they went back was to retrieve it. Maybe they wanted to set it up for a sequel, as there was a Laserblast 2 in pre-production before Empire Pictures went under.