Undocumented immigrants pay more taxes than president 45

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Re: Undocumented immigrants pay more taxes than president 45

Post by Darth Wedgius »

goodperson25 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:43 pm
Eishtmo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:41 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:24 pm How about just "immigrants" and drop the whole "illegal" thing altogether. After all, "illegal immigration" is just another word for "institutionalized racism."
LOL it's two words, and no, it's not, but thank you for playing. :lol:
That's not exactly the gotcha you think it is.

It might not be the most grammatical way of phrasing it but you can use word to refer to multiple words.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Wouldn't "another" imply singular, though?
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

A better phrasing would have been "another way of saying." Eh, it happens.

Of course I'm still surprised he didn't jump on the fact that I A: Want to decriminalize immigration and B: That illegal immigration is racist. Instead he jumped on poor phrasing. There's a term for that. . .
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Found it, a pretty good summary of the ideological underpinning and ethical theories of the right-wing attitude to undocumented immigrants.
https://sfdebris.com/videos/anime/kinosjourney04.php
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:48 am Found it, a pretty good summary of the ideological underpinning and ethical theories of the right-wing attitude to undocumented immigrants.
https://sfdebris.com/videos/anime/kinosjourney04.php
:roll: How many right-wingers reference that? Or are you still off in your own little world?
JoeThree
Officer

Post by JoeThree »

Eishtmo wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:41 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:24 pm Undocumented immigrants is a silly name. Illegal immigrants is more accurate
How about just "immigrants" and drop the whole "illegal" thing altogether. After all, "illegal immigration" is just another word for "institutionalized racism."
No.

Illegal = criminal, as in "Someone who is here criminally". Are they citizens? No? Then GTFO. That's not racist, the French and Germans can go home too. You're racist for assuming every illegal is a Mexican.
Eishtmo
Officer

Post by Eishtmo »

JoeThree wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:30 am No.

Illegal = criminal, as in "Someone who is here criminally". Are they citizens? No? Then GTFO. That's not racist, the French and Germans can go home too. You're racist for assuming every illegal is a Mexican.
See, this is what I was expecting! Thank you.

Why is it a crime to be a non-citizen? What threat to the country does a non-citizen represent? Please do tell.

As for your last bit, back in the 1800's there was an anti-immigrant group called the Know-Nothings. They wanted to stop immigration of a particular group. That group?

The Irish.

I didn't say anything about Mexicans, you did.
JoeThree
Officer

Post by JoeThree »

Eishtmo wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:21 pm
JoeThree wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:30 am No.

See, this is what I was expecting! Thank you.

Why is it a crime to be a non-citizen? What threat to the country does a non-citizen represent? Please do tell.

As for your last bit, back in the 1800's there was an anti-immigrant group called the Know-Nothings. They wanted to stop immigration of a particular group. That group?

The Irish.

I didn't say anything about Mexicans, you did.
Don't be pedantic, YOU called it racist. Tell me, which race were you thinking was being denied citizenship today? The Irish? Don't play stupid.

We have legal immigration so we can vet the people who come into our country and ensure they're not just going to leech off our benefits or commit acts of crime. We don't need illegals hopping the border because they can't be arsed to do things the right way.

And it's a crime to not be a citizen for the dangers they pose and because it's literally against the law, and for good reason. Go live in a border town and then tell me how open borders work.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

..What mirror universe?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:07 am Image
That pretty much sums that up nicely.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard