Star Trek Not a Humans

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Star Trek Not a Humans

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

As far as particular characters and not general races, which not-a-human characters stick out to you from the rest?

We got:

Spock
Data
Phlox
Emergency Medical Hologram
Worf
Dax
Odo

That's probably like most the alien main cast lol but they all for sure border the line of humanity through how they adapt to the human(oid) standard of Starfleet. Quark and Tuvac for instance never really have any discrete detachments from humans; they for the most part don't have parallel outlooks to humans like Spock who lacks emotions distinctly but as a social/evolutionary programming. Phlox though pretty much acknowledges most humanity traits but still has indifference that plays in shades.

Also Morn's on the list as well but needless to say has no indiscernible traits from humans and with for all their faults.
..What mirror universe?
Zargon
Officer

Re: Star Trek Not a Humans

Post by Zargon »

You forgot the most Inhuman Monster in all of Star Trek:

Michael Burnum
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

Worth noting Spock's half-human and how that impacts him even in TOS.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Beastro wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:06 am Worth noting Spock's half-human and how that impacts him even in TOS.
He is if nothing but the Godfather of the group.

For the most part though anything I feel like saying about the others is along the same lines as for Spock.
..What mirror universe?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Zargon wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:30 pm You forgot the most Inhuman Monster in all of Star Trek:

Michael Burnum
Actually go for it, Discovery has none.
..What mirror universe?
J!!
Captain

Post by J!! »

Saru
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

J!! wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:39 amSaru
Is he really though?
..What mirror universe?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

J!! wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:39 amSaru
Poor Saru getting ignored for sake of joke.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Maybe there is something there, but the guy seems so dismissive of the human condition.

His self description I remember indicated that he would otherwise be like human but with no prevailing place on the food chain. Which is a bit alien for the most part, or at the very least not very much in shades.
..What mirror universe?
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:52 pm Maybe there is something there, but the guy seems so dismissive of the human condition.

His self description I remember indicated that he would otherwise be like human but with no prevailing place on the food chain. Which is a bit alien for the most part, or at the very least not very much in shades.
Having no desire to watch STD, I've wondered about his character. Seems like the only good thing about the show.

Is that aspect of him a genuine attempt to make alien, or is it typical Sci-Fy mysanthropy leaking through, were the alien outlook is merely a thinly disguised veil to hide the writers disgust at Mankind?