New York just fucking cancels its Primary

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Re: New York just fucking cancels its Primary

Post by Captain Crimson »

TGLS wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:47 pm What if Biden chose to surprise everyone by making Obama his running mate? He has lots of experience running countries, but does he have enough experience in doing nothing and eating sandwiches? Is there a rule that says an ex-president can't be vice-president?
Mr. Obama is now seen as too conservative as people on both sides give in even deeper to anger, despair, and suspicion. So you would get accusations he is the man behind the throne. It's the same criticism that is going to go to whatever woman Mr. Biden puts on his ticket. Especially not helped by the prescient detail that he is likely to die in the next eight years, so either you got a woman taking his place, or Mr. Obama is back. Either way, it's a messy situation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Vice President is subject to the exact same rules as a president btw. In which case, somebody that has been president twice can not assume vice president.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

TGLS wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:47 pm What if Biden chose to surprise everyone by making Obama his running mate? He has lots of experience running countries, but does he have enough experience in doing nothing and eating sandwiches? Is there a rule that says an ex-president can't be vice-president?
Obama is smart enough to stay the Hecate out of that mess. He waves his endorsement flag, makes a speech about unity, and then pisses off back to some tropical island while we're stuck with ...this.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 pm
Mr. Obama is now seen as too conservative as people on both sides give in even deeper to anger, despair, and suspicion. So you would get accusations he is the man behind the throne. It's the same criticism that is going to go to whatever woman Mr. Biden puts on his ticket. Especially not helped by the prescient detail that he is likely to die in the next eight years, so either you got a woman taking his place, or Mr. Obama is back. Either way, it's a messy situation.
Good gods I HOPE AND PRAY that Biden's running mate would be the one behind the throne. That is Ideal. Have you SEEN HIM TALK?

And why are you so freaked out by a woman VP?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:44 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:51 pm
Good gods I HOPE AND PRAY that Biden's running mate would be the one behind the throne. That is Ideal. Have you SEEN HIM TALK?

And why are you so freaked out by a woman VP?
If that's the case, then why can't have him or her as the nominee? Because Democrats are focusing too much on someone who is "electable" and historically that has not worked out well for them. Also, I'm not "freaked out." I just find it uncomfortable, since it is yet a further sign we haven't really advanced as far as we'd like to think, from the fifties, from the twenties, from the 1860s, onto the first century AD, and beyond. That given the state of this country, a woman cannot get the job on her own. And of course that they're told to "put their concerns" aside for the greater good such as beating Mr. 45 when rotten leaders are always temporary in the eye of history. Women have been told that for generations and centuries.

Don't get me wrong, I'll choke down a vote for Mr. Biden, since my mother's health isn't so well, and I'm doing this for her, and only her. But if it was down to a choice, I would not vote. And I'm not even voting down-ballot since they don't me, as the opponent party always has higher chances down-ballot when the incumbent holds office. I find social themes interesting from the context of history, nothing more. But if it was up to me, I wouldn't even do that much, since it's all irrelevant. I merely think it is important to reduce my mother's stress, and she gets very stressed out over the state of the world at the moment, and unlike me, she does not even have a hobby to help her cope.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:43 am
Obama is smart enough to stay the Hecate out of that mess. He waves his endorsement flag, makes a speech about unity, and then pisses off back to some tropical island while we're stuck with ...this.
I'm more interested in hearing what he has to say on anything compared to any other former president. With Clinton and Bush it's a very superficial and novel thing, but as a public figure Obama's very calculated in his address whereas other people are typically coming from their own agenda personal or otherwise.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Okay, Captain Crimson, I kinda see your point there. I'd still suggest you pay attention to the down-ballot vote. It's more likely to have somebody that doesnt' make you want to throw up and cry.

BCM, I just really miss hearing from a president who sometimes things before he opens his piehole.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

I'll be honest, I don't see the big deal because both parties have already determined their candidate, and Sanders has basically lost all leverage he could have had simply by virtue of losing much harder this time around than he did in 2016.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Draco Dracul wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:22 am I'll be honest, I don't see the big deal because both parties have already determined their candidate, and Sanders has basically lost all leverage he could have had simply by virtue of losing much harder this time around than he did in 2016.
It strikes me as hypocrisy. I hear Wisconsin kept its GOP primaries open, yes? I'll admit I don't follow cable news, nor would I ever want to, and yet it is the DNC that canceled its primaries, not the GOP, as far as I could tell. That is going to help them tremendously in their campaigns. "We love democracy! We kept our primaries open! If democrats love democracy, why didn't they do that?" Whatever valid reasons you could bring up for this, the COVID-19 spreading around, doesn't matter because it's not about pragmatism, it's about optics.

Bad enough I have to choke down a vote for Mr. Biden this year because I worry about my mom's health. But I just wish the democrats would at least pretend they like the democratic process, even a little bit.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 10:03 am
Draco Dracul wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 8:22 am I'll be honest, I don't see the big deal because both parties have already determined their candidate, and Sanders has basically lost all leverage he could have had simply by virtue of losing much harder this time around than he did in 2016.
It strikes me as hypocrisy. I hear Wisconsin kept its GOP primaries open, yes? I'll admit I don't follow cable news, nor would I ever want to, and yet it is the DNC that canceled its primaries, not the GOP, as far as I could tell. That is going to help them tremendously in their campaigns. "We love democracy! We kept our primaries open! If democrats love democracy, why didn't they do that?" Whatever valid reasons you could bring up for this, the COVID-19 spreading around, doesn't matter because it's not about pragmatism, it's about optics.

Bad enough I have to choke down a vote for Mr. Biden this year because I worry about my mom's health. But I just wish the democrats would at least pretend they like the democratic process, even a little bit.
Bluntly, you are recalling that incorrectly. For starters the GOP canceled a large number of primaries before Covid 19 was even known to exist as to prevent even a minor insurgency against Trump. Additionally in Wisconsin the GOP kept the primary open in a bid to tilt a supreme court election in the state, they provided strong mail ballot access to Republican areas while closing almost all polling places in democratic areas hoping to use the long lines and health risks to intimidate Democrats into not turning out.