Technobabylon

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Nevix
Officer

Technobabylon

Post by Nevix »

Well, that was an interesting romp through a cyberpunk dystopia of dubious morals and squicky eating habits.

It's definitely interesting, and creative, and it looks like a solid Adventure Game.

I find a lot of the cyberpunk tropes to be a little old/overdone, though that's more of my personal feelings and not a strike against the game.

ALSO! Cannibalism is the cause of a LOT of different diseases, conditions, and other issues! It's not something that would be recreational, as it would result in random outbreaks of things like a human equivalent of Mad Cow Disease, among other issues!

Now cloning a good cow, pig, chicken, or other animal? Much more practical!
Madner Kami
Captain

Re: Technobabylon

Post by Madner Kami »

Nevix wrote:Well, that was an interesting romp through a cyberpunk dystopia of dubious morals and squicky eating habits.

It's definitely interesting, and creative, and it looks like a solid Adventure Game.
It is. Like all the Wadjet-Eye Games, are very good adventures. I can also hotly recommend Gemini Rue and Primordia, they are the best of the best, imo.

As for the review, I am prepping some food and then will watch it. I am very interested in what Chuck has to say about one of my Alltime Favourite Games (in the top 10). Great soundtrack (the title theme is just so perfect in particular), interesting themes and characters and settings, it's all there, imo.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Arkle
Officer

Post by Arkle »

"You would hardly expect it to be a cyberpunk sitcom."

You know, Chuck said this as a joke, but now I kinda want to see a cyberpunk sitcom. :)
Incorrect Voyager Quotes: http://incorrectvoyagerquotes.tumblr.com/
My Voyager fic, A Fire of Devotion: http://archiveofourown.org/series/404320
---
Independent George
Officer

Post by Independent George »

Nevix wrote:ALSO! Cannibalism is the cause of a LOT of different diseases, conditions, and other issues! It's not something that would be recreational, as it would result in random outbreaks of things like a human equivalent of Mad Cow Disease, among other issues!
Not if it's a cloned human, though. If you've got the technology to clone a human body, you've got the technology to screen for prions or other contaminants.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

"The book says to use what he has given us, and I have been blessed with powerful barbiturates" may be the greatest line in anything ever.
ChiggyvonRichthofen
Captain

Post by ChiggyvonRichthofen »

Madner Kami wrote:
Nevix wrote:Well, that was an interesting romp through a cyberpunk dystopia of dubious morals and squicky eating habits.

It is. Like all the Wadjet-Eye Games, are very good adventures. I can also hotly recommend Gemini Rue and Primordia, they are the best of the best, imo.

As for the review, I am prepping some food and then will watch it. I am very interested in what Chuck has to say about one of my Alltime Favourite Games (in the top 10). Great soundtrack (the title theme is just so perfect in particular), interesting themes and characters and settings, it's all there, imo.
Primordia and Gemini Rue are my two favorites from Wadjet-Eye, with Primordia being one of my favorite games really.

It's fun to see my favorite sci-fi reviewer mention three relatively obscure indie adventure developers/producers that I've been following for a really long time (AGDI, Infamous Adventures, and Wadjet-Eye). AGS has certainly been a boon to the adventure game community, although I do worry that some developers settle for AGS when the game they want to make is really better suited for another engine.

As for Technobabylon, it's a bold story in a lot of ways and there's a lot of thought-provoking stuff in there.
The owls are not what they seem.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

Independent George wrote:
Nevix wrote:ALSO! Cannibalism is the cause of a LOT of different diseases, conditions, and other issues! It's not something that would be recreational, as it would result in random outbreaks of things like a human equivalent of Mad Cow Disease, among other issues!
Not if it's a cloned human, though. If you've got the technology to clone a human body, you've got the technology to screen for prions or other contaminants.
Hmm. Okay. That's one of the many issues of cannibalism mitigated.

That still doesn't prevent the other issues, like the buildup of certain compounds in the body from consuming human flesh, from happening. So... yeah, there would still be other symptoms beyond the risk of disease, even with the technicality of clones.
Rasp
Officer

Post by Rasp »

What this game really needed? was more Cheffie
I am the one who requested Chuck review Kannazuki No Miko. (under an old alias)

I count it among the most despicable things I have ever done to another human being and I'm sorry.

Things I have requested that are not evil:
* Anna's Quest
* Contradiction
* TECHNOBABYLON
The Romulan Republic
Captain

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Arkle wrote:"You would hardly expect it to be a cyberpunk sitcom."

You know, Chuck said this as a joke, but now I kinda want to see a cyberpunk sitcom. :)
Now introducing:

"The Big Bang Theory: The Next Generation." Now with extra grimdark. :D
BunBun299
Officer

Post by BunBun299 »

Avoiding the traps of ME3 in crafting an ending is actually pretty simple. Just make sure your end choices and their results make sense within the narrative of your story. Knights of the Old Republic actually only had 2 endings, Light Side or Dark Side. And both made narrative sense.

It's hard to say from just watching the review, I can't comment on alternative endings, but the one we see here looks solid enough.

On the subject of cannibalism in this story, I don't think the potential side effects would be enough to dissuade people if they were into that, and could get away with it. Otherwise, there would be no drug problems in the world.