How would you handle TFA & Disney SW? Discuss.

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
TGLS
Captain

Re: How would you handle TFA & Disney SW? Discuss.

Post by TGLS »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:25 pm
Or... again, could it have to do with the fact whites are a majority? Plus, this isn't the fifties anymore. But given the quality of workers Ms. Kennedy has hired, whether on orders from above by Disney or not, really speaks volumes to their agenda, even whether this woman is not personally involved in it.

This is a huge issue with LF. They fail to see the forest for the trees in terms of population numbers.
I honestly don't care enough to bother reading the entire post, but this one stuck out for being near the top and being easy to assess (i.e. lasers not feelings). Here's a press release the study the tweet was talking about (it links the study):
https://annenberg.usc.edu/news/research/hollywoods-hiring-freeze-female-black-and-asian-directors-rarely-worked-2017-films

The study looks at the 1,100 highest grossing films of from 2007 to 2017. Whether or not it's fair to look only at the top grossing films may be a fair argument, but given that I can't even think of a hundred released in the last 10, I'll just assume it's fair and move on.

According to the study, female directors have been between 2% to 8% yearly over the study period, and 4% overall. Director hiring were random over the population, the figure would be closer to about 50%. It also notes the number of female directors across other platforms (i.e. independent films, television), where women have a proportion of over 10% of the field, which would seem to indicate that the cause isn't related to the number of women interested in the field.

With regard to the race makeup and your argument is closer to the mark. Asians form approximately 3.2% of the directors counted in the study and ~4.9% of the population, which is only a ~35% difference and probably explainable by other factors. On the other hand, African Americans only accounted for 5.2% of the directors counted in the study and ~13% of the population, which is an 150% difference and maybe not explainable by other factors. Note I'm not counting multi-racial people as part of either group and ignoring the other groups.
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

TGLS wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 8:24 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:25 pm
Or... again, could it have to do with the fact whites are a majority? Plus, this isn't the fifties anymore. But given the quality of workers Ms. Kennedy has hired, whether on orders from above by Disney or not, really speaks volumes to their agenda, even whether this woman is not personally involved in it.

This is a huge issue with LF. They fail to see the forest for the trees in terms of population numbers.
I honestly don't care enough to bother reading the entire post, but this one stuck out for being near the top and being easy to assess (i.e. lasers not feelings). Here's a press release the study the tweet was talking about (it links the study):
https://annenberg.usc.edu/news/research/hollywoods-hiring-freeze-female-black-and-asian-directors-rarely-worked-2017-films

The study looks at the 1,100 highest grossing films of from 2007 to 2017. Whether or not it's fair to look only at the top grossing films may be a fair argument, but given that I can't even think of a hundred released in the last 10, I'll just assume it's fair and move on.

According to the study, female directors have been between 2% to 8% yearly over the study period, and 4% overall. Director hiring were random over the population, the figure would be closer to about 50%. It also notes the number of female directors across other platforms (i.e. independent films, television), where women have a proportion of over 10% of the field, which would seem to indicate that the cause isn't related to the number of women interested in the field.

With regard to the race makeup and your argument is closer to the mark. Asians form approximately 3.2% of the directors counted in the study and ~4.9% of the population, which is only a ~35% difference and probably explainable by other factors. On the other hand, African Americans only accounted for 5.2% of the directors counted in the study and ~13% of the population, which is an 150% difference and maybe not explainable by other factors. Note I'm not counting multi-racial people as part of either group and ignoring the other groups.
While racism and sexism are an embarrassing part of society that will always be with us and yes, this no doubt factored into some job hirings out there, at the same time, how many were just due to the fact that whites compose a higher majority? Especially in California. I don't deny there is some hiring bias as they point out, just that I think it's overblown, TBH.
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

Well, personally, I'd had gone a complete different route.

I had told complete new stories with the old cast - because, what really annoys me about the New Trilogy, is the fact, that in retrospect everything, the old cast fought for in the Original Trilogy is completely for nothing, since it has all come back.

So, I'd have Luke Skywalker (still married to Mara) - Jedi Master and his sister Leia (still married to Han) and a Jedi Mistress (gee, that word sounds a bit weird). C3po ans R2D2 are still there, hanging around, and maybe young Rey is indeed a force sensitive kid, that Luke notices.

We could still have the opening sequence of her living on Jakkuu, fending for her own, meeting Poe, a person, who was on the first Death Star, when it blew up. The blast translocated his body and spirit some 30 or 40 years in the future. (hey, it's sci-fi... if you play your cards right, you can come through an amazing amount of bullshit. And if you don't overexplain things, people are not asking, why something works. We saw that in the Prequel Trilogy and how people were annoyed, when the Midiclorians were put on the map.)

And Finn is a tough one to crack - he's not a stormtrooper, he's a higher ranking officer, who looks at Rey and points out, that she would have had a good living in the Empire. All he sees is dust, people disecting "ships of the glorious empire" and it disgust him. So, he sneaks on the remnants of a destroyer, let's call it the "remnant" and activates a homing beacon.

Rey has followed him, and he stands there, gloating, boasting, how his beloved empire will bring order to this chaos and indeed - one ship appears. But it is no imperial ship, it is the Milennium Falcon, still flown by Han Solo and Chewbacca (who had no meeting with a moon), accompanied by Leia, Luke and Mara.

Finn can't believe that. The empire - down? The Emperor - dead?
And we could use this whole scenario to explore a) the difference between "life in the Empire" to "Life in the New Republic" and b) how to exdoctrinate a person, who is so deeply indoctrinated by the empire.

And since we all want a little bit of Space Battles - why still not throw in a resurging Empire? It's not as "strong" as the New Order, there are two to three Star Systems that are forming the New Empire and they react to the homing beacon, too.

So they fight and they fight and they fight and they fight - and in the end, Finn gets taken away by the new Empire, by Kylo Ren. But instead of him "having to kill his father" and him being a emo-villain, he is at peace with himself, he quips, he cracks jokes - when he first appears he uses some Darth-Vader-Trademark-sentences, then he takes of his helmet, smiles "Hi, family.". And he sees the great potential, that lies within Rey.

So, the movies second act beginns with Finn being in the capital of the new Empire, which makes him feel quite at home. He grins, but when he looks around, he starts to notice, that this New Empire feels a bit off. He notices oppresion on the streets, but he brushes it off as "they don't know, how these things were done" - because in his opinion, there was no oppression on the streets during the times of the Empire.
So it must be one of the leaders, who clearly has no idea, how to handle things.
And he figures, that if he plays his cards right, he can change things for the better. So he calls for a meeting, gets one and is surprised. The leader of this planet is an old friend from the empire - another one of the Dislocated.
And there it dawns on Finn: Everything, that Luke, Leia, Han, Mara, Rey - even Chewie - said, was true.
There was oppression, the Empire was evil.

The third act deals with Finn trying to contact Rey and to escape the empire. He reunites with the gang and wants to join the New republic.

Of course, we need stuff, that the gang can do in the second act, while Finn is going through his "finding out the empire was bad all along"-phase.
And some more space battles. ^^
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

I'd make it any way tf I'd want to make it, whatever you guys say about my ideas. You think I care about how my work is judged by you?

Thank you, stay safe.
..What mirror universe?
CaptainCalvinCat
Officer

Post by CaptainCalvinCat »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:44 pm I'd make it any way tf I'd want to make it, whatever you guys say about my ideas. You think I care about how my work is judged by you?

Thank you, stay safe.
That's the spirit!

And I honestly think, George Lucas lacked that spirit, after Episode 1 - because, let's be honest: the idea of Jar Jar being more than just kid-"friendly" comedy is cool. And yeah, I like the "Darth Jar Jar" theory.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

CaptainCalvinCat wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:51 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 1:44 pm I'd make it any way tf I'd want to make it, whatever you guys say about my ideas. You think I care about how my work is judged by you?

Thank you, stay safe.
That's the spirit!

And I honestly think, George Lucas lacked that spirit, after Episode 1 - because, let's be honest: the idea of Jar Jar being more than just kid-"friendly" comedy is cool. And yeah, I like the "Darth Jar Jar" theory.
haha thank you

Lucas gets lost in making the movies for kids obviously. Nobody liked the ewoks, nobody liked jar jar. Nobody that can form critical ideas anyway.

But then you hear a lot of his initial ideas, and it seems like he tries to lower the kincaid level down in style all over the place. For sure you go to the Emperor and it's fukt and dark, but then you get Episode 2 meadow fields.
..What mirror universe?
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

Mod: You know. It seems that Mecha82 just turns up in every story. Makes trouble. Derails every thread with an angry screed. I think this one was extra special because it actually said it didn't even read the post it was replying to.

You've lost nothing here by me overwriting this.

By luck, fortunately this 7 day ban doesn't actually exist. So it cannot be complained about either.

There's merely a weeklong period of Mecha82s absence which everyone will be enjoying.

Carry on everyone.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

That's messed up b
..What mirror universe?