Renegade Cut on "Berman Trek"

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Renegade Cut on "Berman Trek"

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Aw man, I liked Generations.
..What mirror universe? ;/
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

So does he it seems.
Call me KuudereKun
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Personally I like the movie as a part of canon lol. I'd agree that a more involved plot with Kirk would have been stronger.

Really though it does seem like even having Kirk and Enterprise B in the movie was an afterthought.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Antiboyscout wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:00 am
Imperator-zor wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:16 pm
AlucardNoir wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:45 am
Kinky Vorlon wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:14 am Has Ron ever explained his aversion to making things emotional? It makes no sense, as an artist, you want your art to provoke an emotional response in your audience. Otherwise you've completely failed as an artist.
Nice to know someone else agrees with me and thinks all modern "art" is trash and all "artists" that make said "art" are failures.
If you hate modern art, you hate Star Trek given that it is distinctly modernist in it's aesthetic sensibilities.

Zor
Except TOS, It's so old now that it has become retro-futuristic.
You're kidding, right? TOS was heavily influenced by the modern art movement. A lot of 20th century stuff has a modern art aesthetic, because its famous artists (Picasso, Dali, Monet) were so influential. Surrealism was a definite influence in TOS. By the by, TOS postdates the modern art movement by a lot and. In most respects it's more heavily influenced by modern art than contemporary Star Trek.

Contemporary Star Trek has a lot of post-modern influences, much more so than TOS.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

I really disliked his James Bond video. Not because of the politics mind you because the original lore does have some problematic aspects but I really dislike his notion that Bond is a character who shouldn't be used because he's outdated despite being proven otherwise thanks to writers successfully updating the character and him claiming in the comment section that the Bond films were never good action movies, which makes me go:

"WHAT? What type of high horse crack garbage is this fool on?"
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

MrL1992 wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:11 am
TulipQulqu wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:01 pm This sounds like a thing that would be explored and not just dropped in without reason. The Federation is deeply materialist and humanist, so the idea sounds like they would have found a way to teach children about the nature of death in such a way that the grieving process is relatively painless.

The high concept would probably be "an episode about how this Utopian society handles death" and not "children are emotionally dead inside".
That's a very hard sell though. I think Chuck or someone else once said that early TNG humans can come off more alien than the aliens. Take the utopian future society idea too far and you'll lose people. Especially with how said society acts in episodes like 'Code of Honour'.

The more 'evolved' you make them, the worse it falls apart when viewers take issue with their actions.
Also, I'd argue that Kirk was correct, "I need my pain!"
CharlesPhipps
Captain

Post by CharlesPhipps »

BBally81 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 pm I really disliked his James Bond video. Not because of the politics mind you because the original lore does have some problematic aspects but I really dislike his notion that Bond is a character who shouldn't be used because he's outdated despite being proven otherwise thanks to writers successfully updating the character and him claiming in the comment section that the Bond films were never good action movies, which makes me go:

Honestly, some of his videos are genius while others are just complete nonsense.
BBally81
Officer

Post by BBally81 »

CharlesPhipps wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:13 am
BBally81 wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 9:42 pm I really disliked his James Bond video. Not because of the politics mind you because the original lore does have some problematic aspects but I really dislike his notion that Bond is a character who shouldn't be used because he's outdated despite being proven otherwise thanks to writers successfully updating the character and him claiming in the comment section that the Bond films were never good action movies, which makes me go:

Honestly, some of his videos are genius while others are just complete nonsense.
Yeah, he's one of those people who argues Star Trek Discovery is "good". Boy, he wouldn't like Chuck's opinions on the show.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

His review on the DCEU was mainly just a takedown on fanboys.