Neo-Nazi tried to blow up hospital of corona virus patients

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
GreyICE
Captain

Re: Neo-Nazi tried to blow up hospital of corona virus patients

Post by GreyICE »

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/01/homegrown-terrorists-2018-were-almost-all-right-wing/581284/
From 2009 through 2018, right-wing extremists accounted for 73 percent of such killings, according to the ADL, compared with 23 percent for Islamists and 3 percent for left-wing extremists. In other words, most terrorist attacks in the United States, and most deaths from terrorist attacks, are caused by white extremists.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

This is still comparing shark bites to dog bites. That's fine if you want to go that route, but I'm afraid such ill-use of statistics makes for poor long-range planning.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Most deaths and most incidents for a decade? But somehow they're not dangerous? Right wing Christian terrorists also managed the second deadliest attack in US History, the Oklahoma City Bombing, which means as much as it might be nice to assume they're all useless idiots, at least some of the idiots are aware of how to make bombs (which, to be fair, is not so complex).

All I can see is some strange desire to pretend that neo-Nazis, white nationalists, and Christian extremists are somehow less prevalent and less dangerous then they really are. To which I ask: why? We know these kooks are deadly lunatics. Why defend them? Why downplay their actions?
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
TGLS
Captain

Post by TGLS »

Yeah, something really needs to be done about all the violent dogs in the US.
Shark bites cause like 1 death per year.

https://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2018.php
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/01/21/shark-attacks-were-down-again-2019-only-2-deaths-worldwide/4502604002/
"I know what you’re thinking now. You’re thinking 'Oh my god, that’s treating other people with respect gone mad!'"
When I am writing in this font, I am writing in my moderator voice.
Spam-desu
SSJGodGoku
Officer

Post by SSJGodGoku »

Problem with those statistics is the 90% of the time, people report that either 'they were attacked by a pitbull' or 'they were attacked by a dog' as most people can't even identify pit bulls or other breeds properly.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Plus what about the honey badger?
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Can I ask a bit of a rhetorical question here? May seem kinda basic stuff, but I'd like your guys' thoughts anyway.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Sure. My thoughts and prayers go to you.
..What mirror universe?
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

JoeThree wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 8:26 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:09 am Let me see if you'll actually respond to these citations after I bothered dredging them up for you.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/08/right-wing-terrorist-killings-government-focus-jihadis-islamic-radicalism.html
https://www.hsdl.org/?abstract&did=697463
I'm ignoring the article from Slate.com because, well, it's Slate.com. You might as well have linked the Guardian.

As for the one from Homeland Security, all that one says is that, in 2011, there were both forms of terrorism and anyone who says otherwise is racist. Boilerplate bullshit from the Obama era. You should've read it before linking it.

Find me and article on per-capita violent terrorism in the US and then we'll talk. You know, one that actually considers "Hey, if there's 4 Muslims and one blows himself up... and 100 Christians and 1 of them blows themselves up it's not the same odds".
Alright, so you ignore one article because you don't like the publisher, and one because you don't like the administration that produced it. It's not much but it's honestly better than I expected from you.

I didn't start this with per capita. I said most terrorists in the USA are Christians, not that most Christians are terrorists. I have not asserted anything about the overall propertion, just a fact who is most likely to be the one shooting up a place for ideological reasons.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville