Joe Biden defense thread

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Joe Biden defense thread

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:50 pm
My assertion is that Mr. Sanders is his own worst enemy, those with a dogmatic worldview often are, in trying to get his agenda pushed through. Does he mean well? Sure. But purity politics are a double-edged sword in trying to get realistic change made. For example, I feel that Mr. Sanders as president would have refused to compromise on healthcare. That was where progressives felt Mr. Obama was the weakest in 2010. But he was likely to compromise on other core ideological principles that would be offensive to long-time party loyalists. It's not hard to comprehend since because he caucuses with them, he is not a democrat and he would be the first to tell you.

Then it seems I have a penchant for going off-topic, don't I? I'm in good company. :geek:
You think Obama fell on his own sword with healthcare?

Republicans have edged on losing their teeth trying to get it repealed. Obamacare is undoubtedly unprecedented.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:55 pm
My assertion is that Mr. Sanders is his own worst enemy, those with a dogmatic worldview often are, in trying to get his agenda pushed through. Does he mean well? Sure. But purity politics are a double-edged sword in trying to get realistic change made. For example, I feel that Mr. Sanders as president would have refused to compromise on healthcare. That was where progressives felt Mr. Obama was the weakest in 2010. But he was likely to compromise on other core ideological principles that would be offensive to long-time party loyalists. It's not hard to comprehend since because he caucuses with them, he is not a democrat and he would be the first to tell you.

Then it seems I have a penchant for going off-topic, don't I? I'm in good company. :geek:

Republicans have edged on losing their teeth trying to get it repealed. Obamacare is undoubtedly unprecedented.
Whether or not I believe that is irrelevant. The indication seems to be many progressives felt just that in 2010, which contributed to the sweeping red wave in the midterms.
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:55 pm

Obama's big mistake was not pushing for the death of the filibuster and getting the public option through the senate. If that had happened it would have utterly killed the GOPs ability to sabatoge Obamacare over the next 6 years, and I think would have meant Trump would have never had a GOP senate
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Obamacare is extremely precedented, and very mild. Nearly the entire world covers pre-existing conditions, for instance (they don't even have an idea of the concept). Every idea in it was extremely pedestrian and often common sense. That's ultimately why the Republicans couldn't repeal it - they knew that the measures were wildly popular, and if the Democrats could point and say "they took X away" then they'd get crucified at the ballot box. Hence why, with complete control of the Presidency, the House, and the Senate, they still stood still and decided to do nothing. There was nothing revolutionary in "Obamacare", there was nothing even that progressive.

Biden is a step backwards in all relevant areas. Climate Change, healthcare, wherever you look his plan is to do the least he can do. A wit put it this way: "Joe Biden's car repair: we restore your car to the exact condition it was in five minutes before the wheels came off."

I'd be happy to vote against Biden were he the Republican candidate, which really would not be that unlikely given how conservative he generally is. But instead he's running against a guy who tries to tell you the fact your car is on fire is fake news - while he's standing next to an empty fuel can, holding a lighter, and his pants smell of gasoline.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

GreyICE wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:55 pm Obamacare is extremely precedented, and very mild. Nearly the entire world covers pre-existing conditions, for instance (they don't even have an idea of the concept). Every idea in it was extremely pedestrian and often common sense. That's ultimately why the Republicans couldn't repeal it - they knew that the measures were wildly popular, and if the Democrats could point and say "they took X away" then they'd get crucified at the ballot box. Hence why, with complete control of the Presidency, the House, and the Senate, they still stood still and decided to do nothing. There was nothing revolutionary in "Obamacare", there was nothing even that progressive.
I'm not talking about worldly revolution lol I'm talking about the US history. tbs, What, does China or India have UHC? Does the European Union organize subsidized healthcare?

It is the biggest development of the healthcare system since WWII. It wasn't particularly cheap so it's not impossible for it to be scrutinized, but it's nonetheless effective to a capacity and is ultimately an indication of government orchestrating rational fiscal directives that cooperate with a market economy. I believe Obama has explicitly deemed it inadequate, but simultaneously remarked about it being improved upon.

So yes, when Republicans can't knock its pins in spite of its exuberant costs then I'm content.
Biden is a step backwards in all relevant areas. Climate Change, healthcare, wherever you look his plan is to do the least he can do. A wit put it this way: "Joe Biden's car repair: we restore your car to the exact condition it was in five minutes before the wheels came off."

I'd be happy to vote against Biden were he the Republican candidate, which really would not be that unlikely given how conservative he generally is. But instead he's running against a guy who tries to tell you the fact your car is on fire is fake news - while he's standing next to an empty fuel can, holding a lighter, and his pants smell of gasoline.
If you want to get into specifics that'd be cool. I believe at the very least he has been able to produce sound bites for key agendas, contrary to what you're indicating about his platforms. Until further notice or more specific information then I'm not of the mind to undermine his generally progressive campaign.
Last edited by BridgeConsoleMasher on Sun May 10, 2020 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..What mirror universe?
SSJGodGoku
Officer

Post by SSJGodGoku »

Biden is a fucktard.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

SSJGodGoku wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 7:59 pm Biden is a fucktard.
How would you feel if somebody said that about you?
..What mirror universe?
SSJGodGoku
Officer

Post by SSJGodGoku »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Last time that I checked I never groped anyone.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

SSJGodGoku wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:02 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Last time that I checked I never groped anyone.
true
..What mirror universe?
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

GreyICE wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:55 pm There was nothing revolutionary in "Obamacare", there was nothing even that progressive.
There was something very revolutionary about Obamacare, it passed. It's the bare fucking minimum, but unlike every other plan for expanding healthcare it was put into law. And as you noted now the republicans cannot walk it back, it's a small step, but it's created a ratchet on healthcare. Where once it could languish forever now it can only move forward. Imagine if someone had been able to do that with climate change.
GreyICE wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 6:55 pm Biden is a step backwards in all relevant areas. Climate Change, healthcare, wherever you look his plan is to do the least he can do. A wit put it this way: "Joe Biden's car repair: we restore your car to the exact condition it was in five minutes before the wheels came off."
He wants to expand healthcare by including the public option, how is that a step backwards?