Kannazuki no Miko 12

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
jstrahan
Officer

Re: Kannazuki no Miko 12

Post by jstrahan »

Full Moon, to me, is good...now. It just gets more dramatic later on. As Chuck said in a previous episode review (paraphrasing): 'Mitsuki doesn't get 'magical help' with her singing career. All the death spirits do is remove the disease that is crippling it.' Just as it has been stated above that 'there is a show for everybody', there also is no show that everybody likes. I am hurt in the same way that you would be hurt if one of your favorite shows, one that you would rate excellent, is called a 'PoS'.
Nevix
Officer

Post by Nevix »

jstrahan wrote:Full Moon, to me, is good...now. It just gets more dramatic later on. As Chuck said in a previous episode review (paraphrasing): 'Mitsuki doesn't get 'magical help' with her singing career. All the death spirits do is remove the disease that is crippling it.' Just as it has been stated above that 'there is a show for everybody', there also is no show that everybody likes. I am hurt in the same way that you would be hurt if one of your favorite shows, one that you would rate excellent, is called a 'PoS'.
Full Moon looks interesting to me, and I enjoy Chuck's reviews of it.

It's not something that I would really search out and watch myself, but I can see its appeal as a happy/grim story of a girl trying to reconnect with her lost love/friend by honing her singing talent and becoming a music sensation.

There might be silly antics along the way, but there's also a lot of heart in Full Moon.

And to me, having that heart/story core is pretty huge, and why I enjoy certain other anime quite a bit.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

It never sounded Dull or Boring to me. It sounds like an engaging drama.

As far as livening comedy, well, Chuck's take on Grandma is enough to make any review worth watching.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Ghilz
Officer

Post by Ghilz »

jstrahan wrote:I am hurt in the same way that you would be hurt if one of your favorite shows, one that you would rate excellent, is called a 'PoS'.
You're making huge assumption about how the opinion of a complete stranger "hurts" me there. I'd just assume different tastes. Or the person is insane. Depending on their reasons.
Admiral X
Captain

Post by Admiral X »

Honestly that's kind of DS9 for me, or just the fact I watch anime in general given the crap I've gotten for it from a lot of people. Honestly it doesn't bother me beyond wondering why they're being close-minded in that they've obviously never bothered to watch any of it. At least that's usually the case, anyway. Not the case with me, though, as I've seen the show and simply found it to be very "meh" at best. Just not my kind of show.
"Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough."
-TR
Archon_Wing
Redshirt

Post by Archon_Wing »

Hnnm considering that Paranoia Agend was covered several episodes at a time, I'm wondering why longer series (and this one, since it feels dragged) couldn't be done as such. You could definitely sum it up in the same amount of time.

Then again, I guess that might be hazardous too....
Azaz129
Redshirt

Post by Azaz129 »

I feel like a good part of the conflict that's arisen with reviewing shows like this is a sort of mission creep, if you will. Before Chuck opened up submissions to anime, shows generally had to have a solid connection to either science fiction, fantasy, or comics. Keeping it in his chosen fields meant Chuck could at least fall back on his fairly deep knowledge of said subjects to add interesting history/bts info/literary connections to keep the viewer engaged.

With anime, however, he doesn't have that deep of knowledge and a lot of these 'reviews' turn into summaries with an attempt to salvage it with comedy thrown in. Some of these new series just don't seem like they fit at all and only are here on the thinnest of connections. I'll use Full Moon as the example since it's been brought up. Outside of having two spirits in it, I don't really see how it fits into his standard fare. With the reviews, it comes off very much like a bland saturday morning cartoon to me, now it's fine if you like it (we all have different tastes) but whenever I do a review of a work, the first question I ask myself is "what is the value added?" Essentially, what is the point of the review, what's being done that makes it worthwhile to watch as opposed to another review?

This isn't to say the anime reviews were a mistake, even though I've never seen the series, the reviews of Kino and Paranoia Agent were overall very enjoyable to watch - because there was something for Chuck to latch onto and give an analysis of (which is when he's at his best imo). With a series such as Kannazuki or Full Moon, there doesn't seem to be enough (especially doing it episode by episode) for Chuck to really do much with, yes he has comedy but he has comedy in his other more substantial reviews as well. To understand how I feel about these reviews and they feel like an odd man out, imagine if instead of the games we have had reviewed thus that someone instead fill the queue with every Sonic game in existence (it has robots *and* magic!) and wanted detailed playthroughs of each (especially '06 so they could see him squirm). That's about how I feel regarding the anime reviews, they started off strong with interesting shows and have become increasingly hit or miss as the less 'on topic' shows have popped up. At points, it feels like Chuck was honestly too nice nice to say no.

Have to say, I'm genuinely surprised not to have seen any Miyazaki films pop up yet. Even for his films with the most straightforward plots, there's plenty for Chuck to go into with those.
FakeGeekGirl
Officer

Post by FakeGeekGirl »

I quite like the Full Moon reviews, but I understand why I'm in the minority there. As Chuck said, "Remember when I used to talk about spaceships?" It's very far removed from his general purview and not in an especially surreal way. I like dramas and shameless tearjerkers and can even get behind the whole "trials and tribulations of the celebrity music scene" aspect of the show but I respect that that wouldn't be the case for many people and it is kind of ... I wouldn't call it dull, because that's not how I experience it personally, but ... it's not something I'd ever binge. It would be something I put on when I was having a bad day and just needed to watch something predictable and comforting (impending cancer death of an orphan child aside ...)

I feel like some of the anime requests would have been way better spent asking for just a few episodes or an OVA but then again had I had enough disposable income when requests were open I would have probably requested The 4400 in it's entirety so, you know, glass houses and all that.

I know on another thread like this we had tried to gauge how long the request queue is and someone said they had requested something three years ago and it still hadn't come up. I know I requested a film with my income tax refund last year and that hasn't come up yet either ... does anyone have an idea of exactly how long the queue extends out at this point? It sort of boggles my mind to imagine how far this must extend out and how much time that represents, especially if, God forbid, it really was every episode of Inyuasha requested.
Azaz129
Redshirt

Post by Azaz129 »

As far as the animation queue goes, I believe Chuck said (at the time of the closing of requests) it was at 6 years of backlog (he gave different times for the other non-animation queues at like one and two years, I'm sure someone remembers better than I do).
SabreMau
Officer

Post by SabreMau »

The turnaround times on my Trek reviews, at least, were 217 days, 291 days, 800 days, then at least 373+ for the latest one. I guess at some point around 2013-14 or so, requesting things got a whole lot more popular and everyone jumped into the queue.