MST3K The Show - Seasons 1-10

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
Scififan
Officer

Re: MST3K The Show - Season 10

Post by Scififan »

The new Netflix show isn't bad. It actually is more a reboot of a sorts with a new cast.
bronnt
Officer

Post by bronnt »

Beastro wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:45 pmHopefully the former and not the latter.

Riffing hasn't been the same for years. Even Rifftrax isn't the same anymore with the guys getting on in age and health and shuffling most, if not all, of the writing onto others with the resulting nose dive in quality to the jokes.
I can't confirm this, since I haven't watched a lot of Rifftrax. If it's happening I think it might be project fatigue, and the guys are just getting tired of doing the same thing.

I've been following the 372pages podcast, which is Mike Nelson and one of the Rifftrax producers reading and commenting on bad books (the title comes from Ernest Cline's Ready Player One, which was the first book they read). Mike still puts out some good content there, but he occasionally makes asides to the work on Rifftrax and he's said things like, "Some days I'm there with Bill and Kevin and we're all just cradling a mug of coffee and muttering to ourselves, 'Gotta keep saying words into microphones...'"

I'd recommend that podcast to anyone who's a general fan of Mike Nelson-right now they're reading a bit of Dan Brown.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Well, they've been doing this for THIRTY TWO YEARS, and even the second cast have been doing it for almost as long given most of them were behind the scenes before they took over. Rifftrax or cinematic titanic and tours or whatever else may keep getting them paid, but doing basically the same thing for that long, with the same people gets old. No matter how good the project, no matter how good a set of friends you are.

You look at other long runners like WHose Line is it Anyway and Ryan Stiles is soooo ready to be done. I saw the group perform live not long ago and while he did the job just fine whenever he had to be on stage, he really clearly didn't want to be.