Star Trek Not a Humans

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
GreyICE
Captain

Re: Star Trek Not a Humans

Post by GreyICE »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:04 am
mathewgsmith wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:25 pm I thought that the prey aspect was a subsequent evolution after they had been controlled.
Nope, just killing them when they hit full maturity (when they grow out of the fear response) and lying about why.
No, what I'm saying is that they had fear instilled into them, then from living under that they developed precognitive awareness powers.
They never stated it was precognitive, more "hyper specialized extreme pattern recognition."

In their species lifecycle, the young/immature members have specific organs and processes that function to warn them of danger. Given how it operated, it might be a secondary, specialized intelligence developed differently from their own consciousness.

When they mature they become a predator species, they lose that sense. They also appear to gain increased strength, speed, and reaction times, although I'm hypothesizing based on what's shown. Since Saru is the first member of his species to undergo maturation in many years, it's unknown.

Pretty interesting evolutionary path that points to a high-energy world with a very active food chain.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

GreyICE wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:08 pm
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:04 am
mathewgsmith wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:16 am
BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:25 pm I thought that the prey aspect was a subsequent evolution after they had been controlled.
Nope, just killing them when they hit full maturity (when they grow out of the fear response) and lying about why.
No, what I'm saying is that they had fear instilled into them, then from living under that they developed precognitive awareness powers.
They never stated it was precognitive, more "hyper specialized extreme pattern recognition."
I'm willing to split the difference between what's just beyond our sensical comprehension (hyper sensitive recognition) and what's otherwise rather fantastical (spidey-sense).
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:34 pmI'm willing to split the difference between what's just beyond our sensical comprehension (hyper sensitive recognition) and what's otherwise rather fantastical (spidey-sense).
It bordered on the fantastical at times, but they never clarified if it was actually perfect, or if Saru merely had a quasi-religious faith it was perfect. Given how often Discovery got into various scrapes even before he lost them, I'm gonna say perfect's not the word. He didn't get tingle sense from the thing Mudd used to get on board, after all. Although Mudd might have hit on that solution after many iterations of setting off Saru's tingle sense, but that still indicates that there's holes in it.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Actually yeah I don't even remember it being used the most. Very little and it worked as much as it didn't I thought.
..What mirror universe?
chaos42
Officer

Post by chaos42 »

i think the doctor from Voyager because being switched off is something only he and data have to deal with but at least data has a body his is a small device you can fit in your hand. It can very easily be lost.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yeah but 29th century technology will have hollow emitter working forever.
..What mirror universe?