Joe Biden defense thread

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Joe Biden defense thread

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 pm Kavanaugh had a hearing because you have to go through one of those to become the highest judicial official in the U S of Frickin A. Inquiring whether he was guilty of sexual assault was just one item brought up at the extensive hearing.
I thought that's all she intended to do? Or was she trying to take it to trial?
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:55 pm Kavanaugh had a hearing because you have to go through one of those to become the highest judicial official in the U S of Frickin A. Inquiring whether he was guilty of sexual assault was just one item brought up at the extensive hearing.
So my point stands. We should have one of those for every major political party, besides the convention. And medical health tests. Screenings for psychological disorders, you know, stuff like that.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

I see no problem with that.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Captain Crimson
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 11:49 pm I see no problem with that.
I'd also love a bipartisan commission to go over personal background checks into their past. So that it can come as close to being impartial as it is possible to be.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

I have two questions:

1. Why should I vote for Trump over Biden?

2. Why should I vote for Biden over Trump?
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:08 am I have two questions:

Generally I think it's more between voting for Biden and not voting for Biden.
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Makeshift Python wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 7:08 am I have two questions:

Why you should vote for Biden, summarized:

1) Guaranteed 1-2 supreme court appointees for the next president. The age of the Supreme Court is too high for anything else to happen. Look how hard the Republicans worked to deny Obama's court appointee, delaying it for an entire year. They want that court stacked with partisans, instead of good judges.

2) Global Warming needs action taken on it now. We need wind, solar, and nuclear, we need to max out our hydro, we need to repair our infrastructure, and we need to get some pumped hydro going. Yesterday. Actually about 10 years ago, but 2020 is going to have to do. We also have to start shoring up cities like Miami that aren't going to survive (or look at evacuating them). That's not going to happen if you deny it exists.

3) Global leadership. Like him or hate him, it's pretty obvious how the other world leaders feel about Trump - they hate his guts. The only people he has working with him are, what, a few random dictators who love someone is finally paying attention to them? That's not a coalition. The United States is not going to be part of any global conversations going forward under Trump.

4) Healthcare. The United States has the most expensive healthcare in the world. It's some of the least effective in developed nations. Our system doesn't work, and everyone else has opted out of it. COVID has not made it work better. It's teetering towards collapse, and everyone knows it. Even talking heads like Glen Beck and Ann Coulter would go on about how bad healthcare was pre-Obamacare (which was a Republican healthcare plan, remember).

5) Confidence. The most important thing to economic recovery from a depression is consumer confidence. This relies on the average consumer trusting enough to spend money. Do you think Trump is inspiring confidence in the average American right now? Watch some of his healthcare speeches, find any news site you want, anywhere you want. Are these the fireside chats that will make people risk spending money in a depressed economy?
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Yeah but if it's the establishment then is it even progressive? Can't we just not vote and instead complain about it on social media?
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Mr. 45 is the more honest r$#%^@. He's the most honest scumbag. He's the more honest racist. But the democrats could sneak in an electoral college win, so this is precisely what they wanted. This is a house of cards that won't take much to topple over. Just gotta wait till the first negative ad hits the airwaves. :lol:
ProfessorDetective
Captain

Post by ProfessorDetective »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 2:12 pm Yeah but if it's the establishment then is it even progressive? Can't we just not vote and instead complain about it on social media?
Then Trump definitely gets reelected. Half the country didn't vote in 2016, remember?