Dragonball Z: History of Trunks

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Re: Dragonball Z: History of Trunks

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Nealithi wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:09 pm I'm not talking VS debating. But a hybrid. With powers from both.
Well here is where things are a little weird. Saiyans are always strong. But not invulnerable. I say this because a small rock tossed by Krillin at Goku he thought Goku would easily detect and deflect even napping.
That is anime filller and should be treated as suspect.
But super under a yellow light. (I know of nothing for blue or white conditions.) And some indicate this kicks in around puberty. With them being relatively normal till then.
Depends on the era... but generally Clark gets solar powers even from a young age... they just don't become *powerful* until he's built up a lot.

Of course then there's stories where he burns through it all and has to recharge, or new kryptonians get powers almost immediately on earth, so it varies from writer to writer.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:11 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:09 pm I'm not talking VS debating. But a hybrid. With powers from both.
Well here is where things are a little weird. Saiyans are always strong. But not invulnerable. I say this because a small rock tossed by Krillin at Goku he thought Goku would easily detect and deflect even napping.
That is anime filller and should be treated as suspect.
But super under a yellow light. (I know of nothing for blue or white conditions.) And some indicate this kicks in around puberty. With them being relatively normal till then.
Depends on the era... but generally Clark gets solar powers even from a young age... they just don't become *powerful* until he's built up a lot.

Of course then there's stories where he burns through it all and has to recharge, or new kryptonians get powers almost immediately on earth, so it varies from writer to writer.
Sorry not as good at editing. I have to agree on the kryptonian arc because as you said it varies by writer. But why should something shown on screen be treated as suspect. It wasn't a dream sequence or alternate future. And it was. shown.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Well here is where things are a little weird. Saiyans are always strong. But not invulnerable. I say this because a small rock tossed by Krillin at Goku he thought Goku would easily detect and deflect even napping. Hit him in the head and he woke a bit angry at the sudden lump on his head.
So most of the power gained is through ki training.

Kryptonians on the other hand are written to be basically human under red sun conditions. But super under a yellow light. (I know of nothing for blue or white conditions.) And some indicate this kicks in around puberty. With them being relatively normal till then.

If we follow the training of young Goku with the depowered till puberty approach on kryptonians. Then you would have a strong fighter who suddenly will jump in power level. More so than Goku did in the same period.
If we go with training as an adult we may see a kryptonian hybrid having to learn which powers come from where. But the raw fighting skill might be the old boxing lessons for Superman. Where the empowered being goes from strong 'thug' to savvy fighter.

But that is just my take.
The reason given for those is always the same - the fighter in question is caught off-guard. Same when Yajirobe cut off Vegeta's tail. And I could list more.

And while Superman is invulnerable, at the same time, given the amount of solar energy he absorbs and the finite limit of the sun's store of solar radiation, it will be a finite amount. He's been beaten before, and not just by other godlike beings, Kryptonians, or magicians.

In the post-COIE era, many writers saw him as more of a brawler who lacked the finesse of a martial arts master. Batman even commented on it at one point. Plus there is that whole issue with whether or not Superman is weak to ki/chi with Lex's science spire that I'm not going to get into. It really depends on the writer given the general inconsistencies in both DB and DC.

Again, I was talking about a hybrid, with Zenkais and solar energy. I think Saiyans and Kryptonians make natural breeding partners, in terms of raw evolution
Last edited by Captain Crimson on Sun May 31, 2020 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Man, it just occurred to me that Trunks is a Cable joke/knockoff. Badasses from the future with super powerful parents coming back in time to save their worlds from apocalypses. Even the name is a joke on Cable (Trunks).

But yeah, I'm no DBZ fan, but I know more than nothing and this had me hella lost, so I can't see it being a good starting point.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

GreyICE wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:32 am Man, it just occurred to me that Trunks is a Cable joke/knockoff. Badasses from the future with super powerful parents coming back in time to save their worlds from apocalypses. Even the name is a joke on Cable (Trunks).

But yeah, I'm no DBZ fan, but I know more than nothing and this had me hella lost, so I can't see it being a good starting point.
Mr. Toriyama was actually inspired by the Terminator movies and BTTF - when Trunks appeared in the past, the HUD display for the time controls look like the time circuits Doc Brown invented. And that's not the only inspiration. Mr. Toriyama was a huge fan of Hollywood and pulpy movies, plus he looked to many Eastern myths for inspiration as well. Like the legend of Sun Wukong. Son Goku is if Sun Wukong and Superman had a child.
MithrandirOlorin
Captain

Post by MithrandirOlorin »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:36 am
GreyICE wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:32 am Man, it just occurred to me that Trunks is a Cable joke/knockoff. Badasses from the future with super powerful parents coming back in time to save their worlds from apocalypses. Even the name is a joke on Cable (Trunks).

Mr. Toriyama was actually inspired by the Terminator movies and BTTF - when Trunks appeared in the past, the HUD display for the time controls look like the time circuits Doc Brown invented. And that's not the only inspiration. Mr. Toriyama was a huge fan of Hollywood and pulpy movies, plus he looked to many Eastern myths for inspiration as well. Like the legend of Sun Wukong. Son Goku is if Sun Wukong and Superman had a child.
Yeah, I don't think Cable specifically would have crossed the Pacific soon enough to have been an influence on Trunks.
Call me KuudereKun
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

MrL1992 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:33 am Really wish thiz would get a redub and have its proper music restored. Unfortunately, Toei doesn't care so much for maintaining consistent quality and everything I heat about dealing with Japanese music rights sound maddening.
They actually did restore the original Japanese music when the show was remastered in the 2000s. The only way to watch the episodes with the Ameircan music that aired on Toonami is through the DVD/Blu-ray discs. Even on the Funimation streaming channel the only English dub featured is the one with Japanese music. I suspect the video copy Chuck obtained only had the English dub with the American music, which is unfortunate.
RobbyB1982
Captain

Post by RobbyB1982 »

Nealithi wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:08 am Sorry not as good at editing. I have to agree on the kryptonian arc because as you said it varies by writer. But why should something shown on screen be treated as suspect. It wasn't a dream sequence or alternate future. And it was. shown.
Because the anime made up a bunch of stuff *without* the creator of the series. A lot of it is fairly banal and stupid,and some even downright painful like the entire thing with Bulma and frog Captain Ginyu, but some of it is downright contradictory to the manga. Like the anime gave the androids a different creator, then had to backpeddle a few years later when Dr. Gero was introduced. Or the entire Trunks backstory is completely different in the manga, (the broad strokes are the same) and everything the anime did with the Saiyans, particularly Bardock, contradicts what Toriyama eventually did.

And then when they did the Kai release they cut out a lot of the filler and got it closer to just being the manga material, but still left a lot of excess in.

And then you have the movies which are so contradictory they basically have to be an alternate reality.

So... you gotta go with what the original creator did and not by the anime, because it inevitably ends up contradicting itself. Not even going to get into the contradictions between the Super manga and anime, or the fact that GT has pretty much been erased now.

That said, the driving episode is totally canon, even if it was anime filler.
Nealithi
Captain

Post by Nealithi »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 4:32 am The reason given for those is always the same - the fighter in question is caught off-guard. Same when Yajirobe cut off Vegeta's tail. And I could list more.

And while Superman is invulnerable, at the same time, given the amount of solar energy he absorbs and the finite limit of the sun's store of solar radiation, it will be a finite amount. He's been beaten before, and not just by other godlike beings, Kryptonians, or magicians.

In the post-COIE era, many writers saw him as more of a brawler who lacked the finesse of a martial arts master. Batman even commented on it at one point. Plus there is that whole issue with whether or not Superman is weak to ki/chi with Lex's science spire that I'm not going to get into. It really depends on the writer given the general inconsistencies in both DB and DC.

Again, I was talking about a hybrid, with Zenkais and solar energy. I think Saiyans and Kryptonians make natural breeding partners, in terms of raw evolution
Right, so their resistance is an active effect. Which is what I was pointing out. They are not inherently ignoring damage.

Superman's energy storage being finite because the sun is finite is a rather odd take. It is like saying someone is powerless because they are not God.

My point on the origins of their respective power levels is that Saiyans train to get to kryptonian levels. Then can go beyond the base kryptonian level. What you would need is to train a kryptonian in a red solar environment. Then let him get a tan on an Earth beach to power to what would push him beyond either. My reasoning is the first tournament Goku was in and master Roshi entered it in disguise to defeat Goku. The reason being was that if Goku had won, he would not be interested in training further and would have capped out. But by besting him, he inspired Goku to train even harder and surpass what he was able to as a child. A kryptonian already at a high power level does not see the need for that kind of training.
As you pointed out, later writers have folks like Batman note Superman relies on his powers more than any skill in a fight. He capped out and his fights tend to be about power and not skill as he goes.
So while there is some potential to a saiyan/kryptonian hybrid. It is not automatically superior to a human/saiyan or human/kryptonian. As the latter two will work harder than the former unless you deliberately work to limit the former.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

RobbyB1982 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 7:49 pm That said, the driving episode is totally canon, even if it was anime filler.
Doesn't surprise me. In fact, I actually dug the Saiyaman stuff as a romp, thinking it was a nice attempt to steer into a different direction rather than do yet another "big bad is coming, gotta power up" storyline. It really feels like the creator tried to look for newer quirky angles before finally calling the quits in the 90s.