What I Want in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
Winter
Captain

What I Want in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

Post by Winter »

With the upcoming game's eventual release still up in the air here's there's something I would like to see in the future of the Zelda series and that is, having Hylian as one of the language options for the games. I'll be honest and say that I have mixed feelings about the Zelda series having voice acting as the series manage to go 30 years without voice acting and I felt that was part of the series charm.

But I'm not against the idea as most of the voice acting is honestly really good but I would like to have the option of giving us the option of listening to a Zelda game in Hylian. And it's not like a linguist who would be hired to create this fictional language would be working from scratch as there have been two characters in the series that were fully voiced. Midna and Fi.

Midna was the first character in the Zelda series to have has much lines as she did text in her dialogue boxes and Fi followed suit in Skyward Sword as she too had as much dialogue as she did text. Now mind you both are speaking completely gibberish but linguists have done a lot more with a LOT less. Case in point take Klingon from Star Trek. Until the first film in the series Klingon's only ever spoke in English and when they were given their own "language" it was nothing but a series of sound that James Doohan aka Montgomery Scott just put together for the few lines of dialogue the Klingons in the film would have.

Later, in The Search for Spock, Marc Okrand was hired to take those few "Words" and create an entire language that is still being used in the series to this day. And an advantage that Zelda has over Trek is that Hylian actually sounds pretty nice. As Chuck and others have pointed out, which includes MANY Trek fans, Klingon sounds like a cat coughing up a hairball and while it's fun to have the occasional word slip through or have a few scenes that are fine to listen to on their own having every episode where the Klingons show up and listen to them "Speaking" in their native language the novelty wears off rather quickly because it's not really that nice sounding.

However, as Midna and Fi proved "Hylian" can be rather pleasant to listen to for over several hours. Sure, Fi constantly interrupting was annoying but most fans would agree that her voice is actually very pleasant. Same with Midna, who many fans would consider to be the best character in the series and many love the fact that she is fully voiced.

So, if Zelda is to continue including voicing acting I would love to have the option to listen to it in Hylian throughout the entire game. And I'm sure most fans would also love that idea as well. And it's not like it's not something that hasn't been done in games before. Zelda's rival the Ico series has had every game spoken in a completely made up language so far and those games are critical darlings with fans and critics alike and the fact that they aren't spoken in Japanese or English adds to their charm.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: What I Want in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Do we get to bone, or at least make out with, the hot shark guy?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
King Green
Officer

Post by King Green »

I liked the survival mechanics but the trials were a bit too much for my taste, but they did made me happy with different weapons and combat abilities. Hope they keep that promise.
Do not pity a Slave for the Slave-Lord, but hear the power of what Chaos can be.
All Beings bow before the children of he who bound their flesh by their words.
Fall and wail, all flesh, bone, soul,& power is a servant to Yun-man, the First Slave-Lord.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Post by Thebestoftherest »

Less breakable weapons.
Winter
Captain

Post by Winter »

Thebestoftherest wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:54 am Less breakable weapons.
Oh Dear Hylia YES!!! Or rather, have SOME Weapons that aren't Breakable. Like after completing the main Dungeons you get weapons that don't break like Great Flameblade that you get after completing the Fire Dungeon or an Ice Spear from the water and or Ice Dungeon. And have it were there are enemies that are only vulnerable to THESE weapons like how in God of War (2018) some enemies could only be harmed by the Blades of Chaos while others could only be harmed by the Leviathan Axe.

But out in the open world any weapon you get there can and will break thus giving you something to work with until you get the Key Weapons in the game. This way when you get these weapons that never EVER break it will make the game all the more rewarding.

Also, I would like to see Zelda as Link's companion in this game. Between her VERY fleshed out backstory and her rivalry with Ganon from Breath of the Wild the Zelda in BOTW2 has the potential to rival Midna as the Best companion in the series.
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Doubt we see Minda here.
Mecha82
Captain

Post by Mecha82 »

No breaking weapons, enemies changing based area and return to more familar gameplay style over being open world sand box.
"In the embrace of the great Nurgle, I am no longer afraid, for with His pestilential favour I have become that which I once most feared: Death.."
- Kulvain Hestarius of the Death Guard
Thebestoftherest
Captain

I like the sandbox actually, I just feel like once that I beast the divide beast the champions shouldn't break.
Meushell
Officer

Post by Meushell »

A master spear.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 am Do we get to bone, or at least make out with, the hot shark guy?
I wouldn’t mind some added choose-your-own romance. I kept trying to flirt with those Gerudo, but alas, Link wouldn’t cooperate. :lol:
Thebestoftherest
Captain

Meushell wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 5:47 am A master spear.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:37 am Do we get to bone, or at least make out with, the hot shark guy?
I wouldn’t mind some added choose-your-own romance. I kept trying to flirt with those Gerudo, but alas, Link wouldn’t cooperate. :lol:
Why would I want that.