Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
ChrisTheLovableJerk
Officer

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by ChrisTheLovableJerk »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 3:55 am I don't think there's anything I can say that would change what you think or get a more rational response from you, so I'm just going to stare on in horror.

Anyway, shame about these "stop protesting" orders disguised as curfews.
So, you approve of murder. Good to know, but horrifying.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Well here in my city, the cops immediately got violent with the peaceful protesters. No vandalism, no fires, nothing but protesters "exercising their first amendment rights" - like the reopen protests, but with no one open carrying. Bam, immediate police violence.

I don't even feel sorry their cop cars got burned. The businesses, sure, but their cars? You start assaulting people, don't complain if your ride gets damaged.

This is being turned violent, and the police forces as a whole - not one cop, or four cops, but the entire police forces of most major cities are deliberately starting violence.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
CmdrKing
Captain

Post by CmdrKing »

Every outlet should frame this story like this: police are rioting against the demand they face consequences for their violence and white supremacy

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/05/george-floyd-protests-police-violence.html
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Oh hey John Cusack was in the mix on that one.
..What mirror universe?
G-Man
Officer

Post by G-Man »

I think it also ought to be remembered that the Virginia government is responsible for all of the violence at the Charlottesville protests back in 2017. Governor McAuliffe, outraged that he was not able to prevent the "Unite the Right" rally, decided to end the rally by declaring a state of emergency, and then emptied the park by forcing people on both sides to leave by the same route.

Effectively, McAuliffe decided that if he couldn't prevent the rally, he was going to make certain there was violence by forcing each side as close together as possible.
"You say I'm a dreamer/we're two of a kind/looking for some perfect world/we know we'll never find" - Thompson Twins
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

That sounds fucked up.
..What mirror universe?
unknownsample
Officer

Post by unknownsample »

It's also bullshit as well.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

Surely if enough Targets and low-income housing is burned down, police brutality will finally end.

Food for thought: more black people kill white people than the other way around. Is this justification for riots? Would the riots have to be segregated? "Excuse me, sir, but you're in the wrong riot. Yours is down the street."

This is, I completely admit, something the USA is not very good at. We have racists on both sides, though only the mainstream right actually rejects the racists. But I think there's a lot under the surface, and I suspect the anti-white rhetoric is just going to cause more whites to embrace racial identitarianism.

Bleh. I suppose if everyone has been taking enough crazy pills to decide that skin color is the best way to divide people up, then the riots make as much sense as anything. When trans-specieism becomes a legal thing, I'm filing the paperwork to become an aardvark. It'll cut down time scrolling.
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:23 pmSurely if enough Targets and low-income housing is burned down, police brutality will finally end.
That's the real thing that should tick off all the alarm boxes on all sides. This isn't any sort of rally or protest, it's a huge armed robbery. Sure some of those criminals will call the police brutality out and I suppose at least some of the rioters have an actual interest in ending police brutality, but the moment the first shop window gets smashed, should be the moment where everyone who actually wants a better society, should take a step back and not participate in the whole thing anymore.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Madner Kami wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:34 pm
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:23 pmSurely if enough Targets and low-income housing is burned down, police brutality will finally end.
That's the real thing that should tick off all the alarm boxes on all sides. This isn't any sort of rally or protest, it's a huge armed robbery. Sure some of those criminals will call the police brutality out and I suppose at least some of the rioters have an actual interest in ending police brutality, but the moment the first shop window gets smashed, should be the moment where everyone who actually wants a better society, should take a step back and not participate in the whole thing anymore.
I see it get reduced to protesting or anarchy or petulance or whatever, but I don't think it's supposed to be any type of communication or statement. It's just a reaction by people that feel threatened personally. At risk communities everywhere see the same conditions everywhere and it's been that way for a long time. They have a narrative that places them as targets of society, and to a lot of people that recognition has grown whether it's from this year or the last in terms of all the low points in American history. I wouldn't really call it a political reaction, but more tied to history and hinging on identity per se.
..What mirror universe?