Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

pilight wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:21 am
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:22 am
pilight wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:17 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:09 pm The president has now threatened to use the military to kill USA citizens on USA soil.
Good thing we have the second amendment. It exists so we can fight back against things like that.
I live in the city where, decades ago, the police dropped a bomb on a residential area. Pray tell, what caliber of bullet do you need to intercept a military-grade explosive?
Did I leave off the sarcasm tag? Shame on me.
Oh. My bad for misreading you.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Ah, Philadelphia. You know, your police department does have a very unique distinction. Even for our police, I don't think anyone else has ever looked at B52s over Vietnam, looked at their own city, and had a lightbulb moment.

Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

This is the cops starting violence: https://www.reddit.com/r/Seattle/comments/gv0ru3/this_is_the_moment_it_all_happened/

See what I mean? Watch that video. Actually go and watch it.

Then ask how that can be responded to.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Better training, especially de-escalation training of the cops in general. What I see is one guy loosing his shit for an undiscernable reason and down from there's it's a snowball-to-avalanche due to group-dynamic. Would be nice to know, why the cop grabbed the umbrella in particular.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:21 amI'm sure the numerous non-involved people they killed, including the children, were very glad to know that. Ditto the people who's houses were destroyed and they were not compensated for the resulting damage, because I know you care so much about senseless property damage inflicted on people who have nothing to do with it. I'd call it less stupid than evil.
So the cops are the only ones to be blamed, not the parents of the kids who moved into the makeshift fortress, armed themselves and fired on the cops in the first place?
You know, I highly suggest you start thinking in less absolute terms and start to think in nuance. The decission to throw a satchel charge was absolutely stupid, given the way the neighbourhood is build and the people making that decission should have been removed from public offices for life, the people whose property got damaged should have been compensated accordingly, innocent bystanders harmed in any way as well.
You know what should not happen? Taking the side of the armed terrorists who decided to build a makeshift fortress in a tightly packed residental area and started a firefight with the police and that is exactly what you are doing. Sometimes both sides are in the wrong, but you certainly should never ever take the side of the ones, who are responsible for the shitshow happening in the first place, no matter what your personal beef with the other side is.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:43 am you certainly should never ever take the side of the ones, who are responsible for the shitshow happening in the first place

Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

I have to guess you try to imply, that I am on the police's side? Try again, because that has nothing to do with what I wrote.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:13 am I have to guess you try to imply, that I am on the police's side? Try again, because that has nothing to do with what I wrote.
Who do you think is responsible for "this shitshow happening in the first place" then?

Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

GreyICE wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 12:26 pm
Madner Kami wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:13 am I have to guess you try to imply, that I am on the police's side? Try again, because that has nothing to do with what I wrote.
Who do you think is responsible for "this shitshow happening in the first place" then?
In the case I was talking about, it was MOVE.

And in the case of the current riots, police violence and the lack of accountability for cops overstepping the line is to blame for the resulting protests. The raiding and lootings are to blame on both the raiders, looters and the twats standing by clapping their hands in support and pretending that somehow has to logically follow from a collosal, decades old mismanagement and mishandlement of police affairs, by police, judicial system and politicians.
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Wasn't sure if I should post here, but why not? I'm already tainting my principles my casting a ballot this year. As I'd said before, might as well get my feet wet.

I support the police. At the same time, I also support higher levels of scrutiny and curbing of police abuse of power. I do find it morally reprehensible the victims of police outreach are being weaponized in order to push an anti-police leftist agenda. What do you want? To just abolish them altogether? How well do you think that would work out? We need to hold them to higher standards. We can't just abolish police altogether. Of course, this is the same viewpoint leftists have in wanting to weaponize shooting victims in order to push their gun control agenda, and while I am in favor of tighter regulations on guns and common-sense gun-safety procedures, that's just sickening. People like Mr. Moore insisting that we need to reveal the photographs taken after Sandy Hook to get people to side with them. Really? Seems similar to climate alarmism. Terrify people into following your agenda.

My hopes and prayers go out to everyone in Minnesota now. This whole country is falling apart at the seams.
pilight
Officer

Post by pilight »

Eliminate qualified immunity for cops. Make them liable when they overstep their authority. Clarence Thomas and Sonia Sotomayor have both suggested this.

Strictly limit the use of SWAT teams. They should be used only when such force is necessary to defuse an already violent situation; that is, unless police intervene, there is an immediate threat of further loss of life. That's really the only scenario under which you can justify using tactics that have proven over the years to themselves carry a not insignificant risk of taking innocent lives.

That's what this "anti-police" person wants.