Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:17 amWhy aren't they encouraging people to learn to protest peacefully, even if that also means knowing how to take a hit? To be beaten, spit on, and dragged through the mud? That is hard to do, but wins you greater returns long-term. People like Mr. Sanders seem more content to burn down the system from far away to get the revolution they've always dreamed of. And that worked out so well in the USSR, didn't it?
You mean why aren't they telling people to put themselves in danger? You're losing votes here fast guy.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

That's what MLK did. Not many have the courage to go against their instincts for self-preservation and take a stand for something TRULY important. Back then, you had the hoses turned on you. Flesh ripped off. Dogs set on you to gnaw your bones. Lynchings, burnings, chaos. And yet MLK, for all his very real human flaws nevertheless, still urged peaceful demonstration. We have less cause to do so now, after all the social reform since then. Look back then. Interracial marriage was illegal in certain states. I might literally not be able to get married to a black girl if I was dating her. That's no longer an issue. So there has been some improvement. But it's not enough, and again, our generation are spoiled brats.

This is sad. Rather than coming together in the face of one big tragedy, the death of an unarmed person, when most of us admitted it was unfair, it was wrong, it was evil even... now we wind up more divided than ever. Hyper-polarization in a radicalized country. It's the new times. Centrism has to pick sides. We have no place for civilized discourse. Just anarchy and outrage.
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

It seems like about everyone here supports the peaceful protests, and doesn't support the riots, arson, etc. GreyICE aside, perhaps.

In interesting news (maybe), Minneapolis is considering disbanding its police department. AFAIK, I'm not exaggerating. And, believe it or not, I'm not objecting. I doubt that's going to happen, but if it does, I'd like it tried in cities far away from me first. If it works, that's great. If it doesn't, well, live and learn.

And here's a "lung doctor" explaining the autopsy report for George Floyd. [url] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oqEp63duIc [/url] Both autopsies call it homicide, but it appears that definitive signs of asphyxia are not to be expected from an autopsy. It being a judgement call makes it more understandable to me how the autopsies disagreed.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:47 am It seems like about everyone here supports the peaceful protests, and doesn't support the riots, arson, etc. GreyICE aside, perhaps.

In interesting news (maybe), Minneapolis is considering disbanding its police department. AFAIK, I'm not exaggerating. And, believe it or not, I'm not objecting. I doubt that's going to happen, but if it does, I'd like it tried in cities far away from me first. If it works, that's great. If it doesn't, well, live and learn.

And here's a "lung doctor" explaining the autopsy report for George Floyd. [url] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oqEp63duIc [/url] Both autopsies call it homicide, but it appears that definitive signs of asphyxia are not to be expected from an autopsy. It being a judgement call makes it more understandable to me how the autopsies disagreed.
Oh yeah, definitely! And since my character was coming under attack, lemme say this. If it helps this people feel happy, like they're actually doing something, that's a good thing. But they also need to be aware of the realities when you head out into a highly radicalized world now. That means how it is all the more important to hold everybody in the line to the highest standards even if you don't wanna let yourself get beat up. Don't offer even the slightest provocation. This is the world we live in. Expect violence at every turn, even from trolling.

Mr. Portman and Ms. Brie even talked about this. Yeah, some hard leftists want the police all gone. It's a screwed up system, but what are your alternatives? This will just get more people hurt and killed and gives Mr. 45 and his stooges more ammo. This is not helping.

I admit he was unfairly murdered. I don't get how that's controversial, yet here we are.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:14 amLife is too short for obsessions.
Yet not too short for your obsession over the evil damage done to Target and Best Buy.
Past voting for the first time ever this year, what do you suggest I do? Grab some rocks and sticks and go join the rioters, not peaceful protesters, out there? I'd get my skull bashed in.
Well, you could go out and peacefully protest, but then you'd still get your skull bashed in. Maybe try both and compare relative cranial damage results?
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:09 amAnd many of these cops also have families that they treat well.
Source? 40% of cops batter their spouses.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 3:55 am That's what MLK did.
And they MURDERED him for it. He was the most hated man in America before retroactive lionization set in.
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:40 am
And they MURDERED him for it. He was the most hated man in America before retroactive lionization set in.
And his peaceful protests were still attacked by police anyway, but that's not a convenient factoid to bring up.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:37 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 1:09 amAnd many of these cops also have families that they treat well.
Source? 40% of cops batter their spouses.
What is your source? Everyone's got statistics they could use to bring to the battle on their side. And in the era we live in, the methodology has broken down. 2016 proved that.
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:40 am
They do this, you do that. So it goes, back and forth, nonstop. For every action, there's an equal and opposite reaction. Does it really matter who started it at this point? The only thing that matters is how many are dead and suffering on every side.

Anyway, it's late, I'm off to bed.
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Protestors: Some of us allegedly looted and burned down Target
Police: we have committed multiple war crimes on camera https://docs.google.com/document/d/104sfYjLBNSjFYbl6qo80IWzoLpz_rg6xxZCX4yVtSUE/edit

Crimson: sad to see people perpetuating the cycle of violence. I see no difference. Both sides are bad. Don't fight hate with hate uwu