Escaflowne ep. 19: Operation Golden Rule of Love

This forum is for discussing Chuck's videos as they are publicly released. And for bashing Neelix, but that's just repeating what I already said.
sandangel
Redshirt

Re: Escaflowne ep. 19: Operation Golden Rule of Love

Post by sandangel »

I watched this years back when it was on TV (possibly a edited version? I remember a techno-ish opening song) and it's a relief to know it wasn't me not getting it, this show is a head trip and a half.
Beastro
Captain

Post by Beastro »

sandangel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:47 amI remember a techno-ish opening song) and it's a relief to know it wasn't me not getting it, this show is a head trip and a half.
All I recalled from the show music-wise was the Gregorian Chant I always liked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZGph5ZSF3I
PerrySimm
Captain

Post by PerrySimm »

This is one of the more interesting episodes, it shows a little bit more of method to the magic. It's surprising that they would even bother skewing toward 'hard' SF like this, given how light and fluffy similar works are. Escaflowne is a cut above your average romantic fantasy anime.
sandangel wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:47 am I watched this years back when it was on TV (possibly a edited version?
Yeah, an edited version of Escaflowne briefly ran on Fox for two months in 2000. Though it was cancelled in the US, apparently 4Kids did manage to release the whole show as 22 episodes that aired in Canada and the UK. If I'm following this right, there's three versions of Escaflowne out there now:

1) 2000 edited 4Kids version for Fox/YTV, 22 episodes - [produced in Vancouver by Ocean]
2) 2001 DVD release from AnimeVillage.com (Bandai), 26 episodes [Ocean cast, new performance]
3) 2016 Funimation HD and restored footage cut, 26 episodes - [New voice cast, produced in Dallas by Funimation]

I like the idea of Escaflowne in HD, but it's a bit jarring to hear the new voices.
UGxlYXNlIHByb3ZpZGUgeW91ciBjaGFsbGVuZ2UgcmVzcG9uc2UgZm9yIFJFRCA5NC4K