Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

Might as well post some videos.

How To Cover These Police Riots - SOME MORE NEWS
https://youtu.be/iGxfNl9C6CQ

Police: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
https://youtu.be/Wf4cea5oObY
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:05 am
[Copy/paste - do not attribute]

The use of tear gas is a violation of the Geneva convention. Your police have gassed every major city.

False surrender is a violation of the Geneva convention. Your police have kneeled to draw protesters within range of tear gas.

Destroying and contaminating water is a violation of the Geneva convention. Your police have been destroying stocks of water used for the protestors.

Destroying medical tents and supplies is a violation of the Geneva convention. Your police have destroyed medical tents and attacked medics in various cities.

Attacking journalists is a violation of the Geneva convention. Your police have targeted and attacked journalists both native and foreign in multiple cities.

Your police are worse than war criminals, this isn't even a war and they've managed to violate major international codes. You truly believe "looting" or staying out past curfew is a valid excuse for actual war crimes to be committed against civilians?
And there's the rub. This isn't a war. You don't want it to be. If the national guard or the army gets called in, they'll just shoot you. That's perfectly legal in the geneva convention (as long as they don't use dumb dumb bullets)
Draco Dracul
Captain

Post by Draco Dracul »

Antiboyscout wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 2:08 am https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1268969966331625472

25% approval from blacks
4 more years baby
I'm pretty sure being under water in approval on Rasmussen in disastrously bad for Trump as it has something like a five point skew in favor of the GOP.
Antiboyscout wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:46 pm And there's the rub. This isn't a war. You don't want it to be. If the national guard or the army gets called in, they'll just shoot you. That's perfectly legal in the geneva convention (as long as they don't use dumb dumb bullets)
I'd put money on the cops shooting into the crowd with real bullets before the Army or National Guard do because A) the military has significantly more restrictive Rule of Engagement than the police and B) members of the military are significantly less likely to be white nationalists than police officers are.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Antiboyscout wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:46 pm
Fuzzy Necromancer wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:05 am
[Copy/paste - do not attribute]

The use of tear gas is a violation of the Geneva convention. Your police have gassed every major city.

False surrender is a violation of the Geneva convention. Your police have kneeled to draw protesters within range of tear gas.

Destroying and contaminating water is a violation of the Geneva convention. Your police have been destroying stocks of water used for the protestors.

Destroying medical tents and supplies is a violation of the Geneva convention. Your police have destroyed medical tents and attacked medics in various cities.

Attacking journalists is a violation of the Geneva convention. Your police have targeted and attacked journalists both native and foreign in multiple cities.

Your police are worse than war criminals, this isn't even a war and they've managed to violate major international codes. You truly believe "looting" or staying out past curfew is a valid excuse for actual war crimes to be committed against civilians?
And there's the rub. This isn't a war. You don't want it to be. If the national guard or the army gets called in, they'll just shoot you. That's perfectly legal in the geneva convention (as long as they don't use dumb dumb bullets)
I'm personally not clear on if this is formally recognizable as a State assault on its people.

Political interpretation aside, there is definitely a disconnect between municipalities and federal government that both separates this from the State as an government agenda but simultaneously denotes a complacency involving constitutional rights violation.
..What mirror universe?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

CmdrKing wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:57 am
Darth Wedgius wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:04 pm
So cops that were patrolling elsewhere committed a war crime? Cops working for other cities committed a war crime? Cops in other states committed a war crime?

You're welcome to your opinion, of course.
Actually, I was wrong before, forgot an important element.
Do they belong to the FOP? Whose primary function nationwide is ensuring the worst of the worst stay on the force?

Nevermind of course, as already established, the police are assigned functions they cannot actually solve for purpose of brutalizing citizens. The system demands cops do unconscionable things, attracts those eager to do them, who both through common peer pressure and through formal means such as their union warp their more moral cohorts to condone and eventually engage in those same behaviors, and those cops who do make it through all that with a shred of humanity are ultimately driven off, sometimes by threat of death for their silence.
There are no good cops because the system will invariably remove them by one means or another. And similarly, all cops are directly or indirectly complicit in the ongoing war crimes going on right now.
Um... citation needed? On any of that?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 8:33 pmUm... citation needed? On any of that?
Little late to the thread, my dude. Might want to read up before you start posting.
GreyICE wrote: Mon Jun 01, 2020 11:34 am We had peaceful protests when they shot:
  • Philandro Castile for the crime of being a gun owner.
  • A man who was laying on his belly in a hallway crying and begging for his life
  • A man laying on his back with his arms in the air, pleading with them not to shoot his autistic patient who wouldn't put down a toy truck
  • A man awkwardly fleeing from the cops (and then planted a taser on his body)
  • An EMT in her own home
  • A babysitter who was caring for children, through an open window
  • A man who was evading the cigarette tax
  • A 12 year old kid
  • A man holding his hands in the air at a traffic stop
  • A teenager who was running away (apparently afraid for his life)
This list is truncated not because I ran out of incidents, but because I made my point. Peaceful protests followed all of these. No changes. In addition, it has become increasingly apparent that many "justified uses of violence" were nothing of the sort. The police in America are engaged in a large scale coverup of their murders and excessive uses of force.
  • The Baltimore police were carrying toy guns to plant on dead suspects, to justify shootings
  • Terence Crutcher was said to be 'reaching for a gun' when he was shot. Dashcam footage showed his hands in the air
  • Walter Scott had the officer's taser planted on his body. The officer claimed Scott seized his weapon. Video showed Scott fleeing the cop, and dying.
  • A former cop and his son in Florida ran down and shot a man who was jogging. The prosecutor declined to file charges for two months, and swept it under the rugs until a video emerged
  • A minimum of 16 cops in Chicago were proven to be involved in the coverup of a police shooting.
    None were charged or fired.
  • 14 cops in Massachusetts were involved in a coverup of systemic beatings of black suspects in custody
  • So many body camera failures during shootings that it's just worth linking to a damn [url=https://www.google.com/search?q=police+body+cameras+turned+off+during+shootings]google search[/url]
  • Derek Chauvin, the cop who murdered George Flynn, had previously murdered three other suspects. He had numerous use of force complaints against him. This is typical.
What does happen to the "good apples"? They get fired, arrested, and criminalized.
  • Cariol Horne stopped a fellow officer who was choking a man. She was fired, sued for libel, charged with assault, and when she showed up at the courthouse for her assault trial, arrested for tresspassing. She is currently homeless
  • Stephen Mader, an army veteran and former cop, was fired for not shooting a suicidal man.
    Two other cops arrived and shot him, while Mader was talking him down. Mader tried to prevent the shooting
  • Adrian Schoolcraft blew the whistle on quotas and wrongful arrests in the NYPD. He had taped evidence. Police broke into his home, claimed he was suicidal, and had him involuntarily committed to a psychiatric ward.
  • Shannon Spalding and Daniel Echeverria investigated and proved cops were planting drugs on suspects and shaking them down for money. After the perpetrators were arrested, other cops told them "they'd be going home in a pine box" and other death threats. They were driven out of the force, with legitimate fear for their life.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable."
- John F. Kennedy
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Anyway, the police have found their supply of the OC Pepper gas bombs. They're out of date, but still effective. A bit mistier, less spread. They seem to be having fun standing in them.

The news that Minneapolis is disbanding it's police department has really, really made them angry. So if you want to go out safely, it's now exceptionally dangerous. The police are acting violently and unpredictably. It's amazing how they think that police brutality will end peaceful protests against... police brutality. If they were firefighters, they'd set all the other houses on fire to burn the first house into submission.

I hope anyone who says they're scared to go to a protest can say what they mean - they're scared of our police department.

Seattle Cuisine: Pork, with thick pepper coating. Let simmer for a few weeks, then fire.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Fuzzy Necromancer
Overlord

Post by Fuzzy Necromancer »

In my city they are putting tape over their badge numbers https://imgur.com/gallery/tvag2gv?s=fb

Gods, I wanna be out there. I'm recovering from knee surgery and, while I can walk around the house, I'm not cleared for major exertion yet and I'm supposed to avoid risk of falls. I'd say tripping on a tear gas grenade or an assisted tripping-over-my-own-feet counts as falling. Plus I'm really worried that this state reopened too soon, virus-wise.

Still feel like I should be out there, though.
"Believe me, there’s nothing so terrible that someone won’t support it."
— Un Lun Dun, China Mieville
Madner Kami
Captain

Post by Madner Kami »

Makeshift Python wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:18 am Regarding the 57 officers that supposedly resigned as a protest against the two that got suspended, turns out that may not be the case: https://www.huffpost.com/entry/buffalo-mayor-police-union-protests_n_5edb06d0c5b67f2275c1ccee
Buffalo, New York, Mayor Byron Brown said Friday that the local police union was on the “wrong side of history” in a controversy surrounding two officers who were suspended without pay after a 75-year-old man was shoved to the ground at a protest, causing him to be seriously injured.

Late Thursday, a viral video showed police in Buffalo pushing an older man who approached them. The man is seen falling backward, hitting the ground with a resounding crack before he begins bleeding from his ear. The man was taken to the hospital, where he was listed in serious but stable condition Friday night.

After an initial statement said the man “tripped and fell,” the police commissioner ordered an investigation and the two officers were suspended without pay.

In an interview with CNN, Brown was asked about dozens of members of the Buffalo Police Department’s Emergency Response Team resigning from their posts in the special unit earlier Friday. John Evans, president of the Buffalo Police Benevolent Association union, said it had been “out of disgust” over “the treatment” of the two suspended officers.

“That was pushed by the police union,” Brown told CNN. “The police union indicated if those officers continued to participate in that unit they would lose the support of the Police Benevolent Association in Buffalo.”

Two unnamed officers reportedly told the local ABC news station similarly that they didn’t resign out of solidarity with the officers suspended but because the union wasn’t “legally backing” them. A copy of an email that Evans sent members on Friday morning also suggests the union wouldn’t be paying for the legal defense of ERT officers moving forward.

So basically, there was no resignation out of solidarity; the union forced them to.

I'm about as pro-union as possible... but the policeman's unions can get fucked. I put them on equal footing with the Klan.
This might also be a media-reporting-thing. The day when that was posted, I verified and checked the sources, because it seemed so outlandish. I found one newspaper who treated this as two distinct happenings, everybody else reported it as if it were related.
"If you get shot up by an A6M Reisen and your plane splits into pieces - does that mean it's divided by Zero?
- xoxSAUERKRAUTxox
Makeshift Python
Captain

Post by Makeshift Python »

It took awhile, but going by my social media circles it's looking like police unions are now getting the attention they deserve, in spite of the media not focusing on it as much as they should. Even those who I got into a lot of heated debates with and were supportive of the police in general are pretty harsh towards the unions using their power to subvert accountability, via funding politicians that return favors.