Unpopular opinions/going against the grain of the conventional wisdom, let's talk about it

For all topics regarding speculative fiction of every stripe. Otherwise known as the Geek Cave.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Unpopular opinions/going against the grain of the conventional wisdom, let's talk about it

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

Well yeah the syncopation of the song renders it incomprehensible while the 3 old coots relish about getting old and useless.
..What mirror universe?
Rocketboy1313
Captain

Re: Unpopular opinions/going against the grain of the conventional wisdom, let's talk about it

Post by Rocketboy1313 »

I am going to go off the beaten path here:
1) I think that 4th edition Dungeons and Dragons had many good ideas and the overblown negative reaction to it caused many of those good ideas to be rolled back or dissolved completely.

2) I do not get "Neon Genesis Evangelion" at all.

3) The original anime adaptation of "Full Metal Alchemist" is better than "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood". I DO NOT CARE ABOUT BEING FAITHFUL TO THE MANGA. If "Brotherhood" is more faithful to the manga than the manga wasn't all that good to begin with.

4) Garth Ennis is a bad writer. If not for the shocking subject matter he would not be paid attention to, everything he has ever made has been elevated by its adaptation, made by people who understand pacing.

5) The story "Whatever Happened to Truth, Justice, and the American Way" does a poor job of framing its argument and the ultimate resolution of the story fails to address the underlying philosophical debate in any meaningful fashion. Superman wins because he is more powerful, not because he proved his point.
My Blog: http://rocketboy1313.blogspot.com/
My Twitter: https://twitter.com/Rocketboy1313
My Tumblr: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/rocketboy1313
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/13rocketboy13
McAvoy
Captain

Post by McAvoy »

I actually like Picard and Discovery.

Don't get me wrong in both shows, there are certain things I think is either a bad misstep or bad. The ending of Picard is just dumb and technically a no no in story writing.

Picard felt like a season long movie and probably could have if they got away from the Borg cube part of it.

Discovery has its ups and downs.
I got nothing to say here.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

McAvoy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:14 pm I actually like Picard and Discovery.

Don't get me wrong in both shows, there are certain things I think is either a bad misstep or bad. The ending of Picard is just dumb and technically a no no in story writing.

Picard felt like a season long movie and probably could have if they got away from the Borg cube part of it.

Discovery has its ups and downs.
I feel like Discovery season 1 and 2 are opposite in that S1 shines with its premise while S2 shines with its execution. Season 2's end brought it together really well imo, and I'm fairly certain that that's a fresh time loop twist.
..What mirror universe?
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

I don't think that living a long time is something to celebrate nor is it something to aim for. As the Tenth Doctor once said: ''Some people live more in twenty years than others do in eighty. It's not the time that matters, it's the person.''

Its what you do with your time that matters. Not just doing important things but also doing things that you love - and no one can tell you what those things should be. If you consider it to be important then it is. But at the end of the day, I would rather die at 50 after filling my life with things that I love doing than dying at a 100 as a bored old man sitting in a home.
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

Here's a few unpopular opinions I'd like to add, to return to this thread I kickstarted.

SW: TCW was an unnecessary and pointless rehash that was the proto Disney SW.

ST: I think STII is overrated, and while still a grand movie, is a bit inconsistent to TOS, even if recaptured the feel of TOS.

I'm sure a few here will raise their eyebrows, but had to do it. :mrgreen:
clearspira
Overlord

Post by clearspira »

Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:48 am Here's a few unpopular opinions I'd like to add, to return to this thread I kickstarted.

ST: I think STII is overrated, and while still a grand movie, is a bit inconsistent to TOS, even if recaptured the feel of TOS.

I can certainly understand why you think Trek 2 is overrated. It has been held up for 30 years as THE Star Trek that all other Star Trek is measured against to the point that Nemesis and Into Darkness outright copied it. Those are some lofty heights.

I would like to add my next potentially unpopular opinion: I like The Final Frontier. I am not saying its a great movie, but compared to many other films both in and out of Trek, I can sit down and enjoy it any night of the week.
Captain Crimson
Captain

clearspira wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:18 am
Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:48 am Here's a few unpopular opinions I'd like to add, to return to this thread I kickstarted.

I can certainly understand why you think Trek 2 is overrated. It has been held up for 30 years as THE Star Trek that all other Star Trek is measured against to the point that Nemesis and Into Darkness outright copied it. Those are some lofty heights.

I would like to add my next potentially unpopular opinion: I like The Final Frontier. I am not saying its a great movie, but compared to many other films both in and out of Trek, I can sit down and enjoy it any night of the week.
Same on STV. I love it purely for ham. Ham with a thick layer of cheese on it. That's entertaining if you can overlook it. I can. Kinda like Palpatine's ham-cheese performance from the PT.

Heading off to bed. Night, by'all!
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Captain Crimson wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:19 am
clearspira wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:18 am

Same on STV. I love it purely for ham. Ham with a thick layer of cheese on it. That's entertaining if you can overlook it. I can. Kinda like Palpatine's ham-cheese performance from the PT.

Heading off to bed. Night, by'all!
What'd you think of this?

https://sfdebris.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=79754#p79754
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

I'm a bit confused? That SWII is a good movie? I mean, I have no idea where you're coming from, but it is surely nice put together, visually, as with all the other prequels. What, specifically, do you like about SWII? I mean, I don't really mind the operatic type romance. I think it's cute in SWIII. It's kinda telling to our sad state of society a traditional like couple you see in a fairy tale wind up sneered at.