Another day, another police beating in America

This is for topical issues effecting our fair world... you can quit snickering anytime. Note: It is the desire of the leadership of SFDebris Conglomerate that all posters maintain a civil and polite bearing in this forum, regardless of how you feel about any particular issue. Violators will be turned over to Captain Janeway for experimentation.
BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Re: Another day, another police beating in America

Post by BridgeConsoleMasher »

GreyICE wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:46 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:20 pm As I'd said, there's over a thousand new things every day to get outraged about if you go looking for it.

Let me ask this. Even if you get police reform, what then? Even if you begin working on issues with the electorate and voting process, what then? Even if you get immigrant reform, what then? I think most underestimate how fragile it all is. Life, the machine we've built, and what it is, and where we're going. And if it's not some new issue now, it will be in a hundred, a thousand years.
Then things get a little better for some people, here and now. Maybe in a hundred million years none of it will matter, but for a few hundred thousand people in our city, for the next fifty years? Yeah, it matters. And if it doesn't matter either way, why not help out? Do you feel good if you make other people's lives better?

And if you really don't give a shit either way, why the hell do you have like 50 comments defending the police in this thread?
What he's getting at is factual on a general basic level of people who are activists and people that are not. Not that it's simple and black and white, but obviously can have pull in the other direction from where you're at. I'd say it's more the norm that people on the left stress about their lives in a manner that doesn't overlap with hotbutton political issues. At least it's closer to Biden/Bernie numbers or Hillary/Bernie numbers. (Interesting enough, the development of the left leading up to 2016 really did lay out a lot of pavement for progressive organizations/associations, whereas before my impression was that they were a lot more disparate and non congregational with each other, which is the major distinction between an establishment left that has less oversight with the progressive public).

The idea though that nothing is developing, or that it's not worth stressing about because you didn't solve the root cause, is nonsense.
..What mirror universe?
Captain Crimson
Captain

Post by Captain Crimson »

GreyICE wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:46 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:20 pm As I'd said, there's over a thousand new things every day to get outraged about if you go looking for it.

Let me ask this. Even if you get police reform, what then? Even if you begin working on issues with the electorate and voting process, what then? Even if you get immigrant reform, what then? I think most underestimate how fragile it all is. Life, the machine we've built, and what it is, and where we're going. And if it's not some new issue now, it will be in a hundred, a thousand years.
Then things get a little better for some people, here and now. Maybe in a hundred million years none of it will matter, but for a few hundred thousand people in our city, for the next fifty years? Yeah, it matters. And if it doesn't matter either way, why not help out? Do you feel good if you make other people's lives better?

And if you really don't give a shit either way, why the hell do you have like 50 comments defending the police in this thread?
1. Free will.
2. Might as well since I've been dragged into this political muck kicking and screaming.
3. 50 comments is a bit of a hyperbole there. :geek:
4. Political extremism on either side does not appeal to me.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:26 pmPolitical extremism on either side does not appeal to me.
Why is it that proven plans that work are always called "extremism"? Like "we want to do this thing that works elsewhere rather than this thing that is blatantly not working here." "You extremist!" But we have Trump calling a 75 year old Catholic peace protester an Antifa activists who faked his fall.

Speaking of extremism, how does Captain Crimson feel about Bob Kroll? Interesting man. Head of the police union in Minneapolis. And a member of a police motorcycle club! Lets look them up on their website, shall we?

Well, certainly I can't see that's all bad. The police are allowed to have hobbies outside of being a cop, no one could say that's bad. And it's not like this is a group of white supremacists, it's just a bunch of cops who like riding hogs and getting tattoos.

Uh hey, wait. I... um, I might recognize that tattoo. That's an eagle. Not really an American eagle, a different sort of bird.

*Snip* Sorry but Google Adsense doesn't like this image.

Now Captain Crimson, hater of extremism, can you come right out and say it: Nazis are bad. If the police force are Nazis, then the police force are extremists, and that needs to be fixed?
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

- Republican Party Platform
Antiboyscout
Captain

Post by Antiboyscout »

GreyICE wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:58 pm
Captain Crimson wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:26 pmPolitical extremism on either side does not appeal to me.
Why is it that proven plans that work are always called "extremism"? Like "we want to do this thing that works elsewhere rather than this thing that is blatantly not working here." "You extremist!" But we have Trump calling a 75 year old Catholic peace protester an Antifa activists who faked his fall.

Speaking of extremism, how does Captain Crimson feel about Bob Kroll? Interesting man. Head of the police union in Minneapolis. And a member of a police motorcycle club! Lets look them up on their website, shall we?

Well, certainly I can't see that's all bad. The police are allowed to have hobbies outside of being a cop, no one could say that's bad. And it's not like this is a group of white supremacists, it's just a bunch of cops who like riding hogs and getting tattoos.

Uh hey, wait. I... um, I might recognize that tattoo. That's an eagle. Not really an American eagle, a different sort of bird.

Now Captain Crimson, hater of extremism, can you come right out and say it: Nazis are bad. If the police force are Nazis, then the police force are extremists, and that needs to be fixed?
Oh no you don't. You don't get to claim that every Aquila in the world is a nazi symbol

You sure it isn't this?

GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Oh no you don't. You don't get to claim that every Aquila in the world is a nazi symbol
Do tell us more where you found this flag? Wherever would you find a piece of Christian symbology that looks so like the Nazi flag. Would it happen to have been made post-WW2?

But lets go more into this gang. Per the ADL: https://www.adl.org/sites/default/files/documents/assets/pdf/combating-hate/ADL_CR_Bigots_on_Bikes_online.pdf
This is true even among some biker clubs that are not outlaw gangs. Even the City Heat Motorcycle Club, an
off-duty police motorcycle club with chapters in Chicago and Minneapolis, has members who have openly
displayed white supremacist symbols. Photographs of City Heat members taken by other club members
and posted to the Internet have shown that some members of the club display a number of symbols on their
clothing that have white supremacist or hateful connotations. One member sports a patch that asks “Are
you here for the hanging?”—a reference to lynching. The lynching theme is corroborated by a small chain
noose the individual wears next to the patch. Another City Heat member displays the most common Ku Klux
Klan symbol, the so-called “Blood Drop Cross.” Several members wear “Proud to be White” patches, an item
typically worn by white supremacists.
Knowledge-Based Education – We oppose the teaching of Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) (values clarification), critical thinking skills and similar programs

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

GreyICE wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:34 pm Hey bridge do you mind starting a thread about Chad for these people? I kind of hate this interface on my phone, and it's clear they want to discuss it badly.
Well I just now figured out that you were referring to Chaz, and what Chaz crudely is.

First I thought you might be referring to Chad theory and was confused.

So far this reminds me about how I was born in a religious commune which was pretty common around the late seventies to mid-eighties in norcal.
..What mirror universe?
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

BridgeConsoleMasher wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:32 pm
GreyICE wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:34 pm Hey bridge do you mind starting a thread about Chad for these people? I kind of hate this interface on my phone, and it's clear they want to discuss it badly.
Well I just now figured out that you were referring to Chaz, and what Chaz crudely is.

First I thought you might be referring to Chad theory and was confused.

So far this reminds me about how I was born in a religious commune which was pretty common around the late seventies to mid-eighties in norcal.
Hah, that's pretty funny. Autocorrect got me.

So in your time in the religious commune, did you see any flat-winged eagles above a ring with a cross in the ring? Because boy, I've never seen that symbol in any church. As I recall the Holy Roman Empire eagle looked more like, oh, this:

Not this:

BridgeConsoleMasher
Overlord

Lol I was just born in one on the cusp of the millennial dawn when they started getting out of style. My impression of what my parents have told me was that they were somewhat desolate in individuality but otherwise functioning properly in plain sight of society. The center we lived in owned businesses like gas stations or cleaning businesses, of which some my dad managed at one point or the other. My mom was a general bookkeeper I think I'm not sure.
..What mirror universe?
Darth Wedgius
Captain

Post by Darth Wedgius »

So only those cops would be good apples, Fuzzy? Nothing else counts? :roll:

And by poisoning... tear gas? :lol:

https://www.policeone.com/las-vegas/articles/las-vegas-officers-honored-for-heroic-acts-were-just-doing-their-job-XNFHWAXZKkAmxt6c/

As an aside, is throwing projectiles included in "peaceful"? Honestly curious.
GreyICE
Captain

Post by GreyICE »

Darth Wedgius wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:52 pm So only those cops would be good apples, Fuzzy? Nothing else counts? :roll:
Can you concede that the cops that are in gangs linked to white supremacy are probably not good people?

And that if said cop is the head of your fucking Police Union then something is deeply, deeply wrong with your city police?